The Student Room Group

Career in F1 - Uni Choice

I am currently in year 12 taking maths, further maths, physics and biology looking for a career in F1. I have seen in a lot of places that Southampton is a great choice for getting into F1 - the have a massive wind tunnel and Adrian Newey alongside many other F1 engineers went there, however I am also keen on the idea of going to Delft Institute of Technology in The Netherlands which ranks quite a bit higher in aerospace, automotive and aeronautical engineering than Southampton but doesn’t seem particularly focused on F1. Which is the better choice of uni? Also, which out of aerospace, aeronautical and automotive engineering would be the best for a career as an aerodynamicist or race engineer? Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
(edited 2 months ago)
Being an Aerodynamicist and a Race Engineer requires very different skill sets and route. So, I'd advise trying to decide what path you want to follow first. Look into their career roles, read up on technical aritcles and watch some videos etc. do some courses, that's what I did to decide what role I wanted in motorsports. If you decide to go for Aero, Southampton is indeed the place to be at. Delft is equally at par course wise but you would be able to get more hands on experience opportunities studying in the UK. If you want to be a Race Engineer, you would need to know Vehicle Dynamics very well. Oxford Brookes and Loughborough are definitely the best choices for that. Go with Brookes if you are sure about motorsports and eant to study everything motorsports focused, they have the best FS team, course modules and industry connections. Loughborough won't be motorsports focused but would make you more well rounded to work in the automotive industry since they teach stuff as Battery Technology, Automated Vehicles etc. I am personally not interested in such topics and want to dive into motorsports from day 1 and the atmosphere at Brookes really supports such ambitions, so I decided to go for Motorsport at Brookes and will be starting in September

Feel free to get in touch further, I've researched this whole topic quite a bit haha
If you're unable to decide, do Automotive at Loughborough/Motorsport at Brookes and if you feel more inclined toward Aero, you could do the MSc Race Car Aero at Southampton
Reply 3
Original post by EauRouge7105
Being an Aerodynamicist and a Race Engineer requires very different skill sets and route. So, I'd advise trying to decide what path you want to follow first. Look into their career roles, read up on technical aritcles and watch some videos etc. do some courses, that's what I did to decide what role I wanted in motorsports. If you decide to go for Aero, Southampton is indeed the place to be at. Delft is equally at par course wise but you would be able to get more hands on experience opportunities studying in the UK. If you want to be a Race Engineer, you would need to know Vehicle Dynamics very well. Oxford Brookes and Loughborough are definitely the best choices for that. Go with Brookes if you are sure about motorsports and eant to study everything motorsports focused, they have the best FS team, course modules and industry connections. Loughborough won't be motorsports focused but would make you more well rounded to work in the automotive industry since they teach stuff as Battery Technology, Automated Vehicles etc. I am personally not interested in such topics and want to dive into motorsports from day 1 and the atmosphere at Brookes really supports such ambitions, so I decided to go for Motorsport at Brookes and will be starting in September

Feel free to get in touch further, I've researched this whole topic quite a bit haha

Yeah to be honest I’m more keen on pursuing the aerodynamicist route, however though Southampton looks like a great university I am more keen on living in Delft. Do you think it will make enough of a difference to matter? Thanks
Original post by hdf
Yeah to be honest I’m more keen on pursuing the aerodynamicist route, however though Southampton looks like a great university I am more keen on living in Delft. Do you think it will make enough of a difference to matter? Thanks
It wouldn't matter much if at all. Most F1 aeros and picked from Delft and Southampton. At the end of the day, your skills and experience will matter not your university choice since both of them are really close. So if you'd prefer living in Delft, go for it I'd sat
Reply 5
It wouldn't matter much if at all. Most F1 aeros and picked from Delft and Southampton. At the end of the day, your skills and experience will matter not your university choice since both of them are really close. So if you'd prefer living in Delft, go for it I'd sat

Thank you so much 👍
Reply 6

Hi, another Y12 student looking to study Motorsports/Automotive engineering at uni.
I am currently studying Physics, Maths and Design Technology.
If you dont mind can you please guide me through the application process which led you to getting an offer from OxFBrookes( extracurriculars etc.)
Original post by K1.D.7
Hi, another Y12 student looking to study Motorsports/Automotive engineering at uni.
I am currently studying Physics, Maths and Design Technology.
If you dont mind can you please guide me through the application process which led you to getting an offer from OxFBrookes( extracurriculars etc.)

Sure, I'll DM you
You could try a degree apprenticeship with one of the teams - I haven’t looked into it but I would presume at least one of them would do them.

Quick Reply

Latest