The Student Room Group

Is being called "cute" rather than "pretty" a bad thing?

I've wondered this for a while, as me and my older sister were growing up (and still to this day) my mum and my auntie would speak about how my sister was the "pretty one that could be a model" and i was always the "cute one", when i tell people this they act as if i should be offended or upset about it, i never really took any notice before but now I'm wondering if anyone else would be upset about this. Opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get called "cute" all the time too, but it's not related to "not being pretty" at all IMO :smile: I think the two kind of go hand in hand.

Family members tend to be biased as anything, TBH. I wouldn't worry what they say :tongue:

If you don't like your appearance change it. But not to please your mum and auntie, to please you. I'm sure you look grand! Besides, TBH, they're probably being a bit catty towards you, older people often tend to be :lol:
Reply 2
Tbh I wouldn't be bothered about being called cute. I'd only be upset if people called me ugly. Being called cute is definitely not an insult in my eyes :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SallyTheKid
I get called "cute" all the time too, but it's not related to "not being pretty" at all IMO :smile: I think the two kind of go hand in hand.

Family members tend to be biased as anything, TBH. I wouldn't worry what they say :tongue:

If you don't like your appearance change it. But not to please your mum and auntie, to please you. I'm sure you look grand! Besides, TBH, they're probably being a bit catty towards you, older people often tend to be :lol:

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i just didn't understand why people would act so shocked when i told them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Serena20
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i just didn't understand why people would act so shocked when i told them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, saying that you aren't "the pretty/modellish" one is quite rude :tongue:

But unfortunately even family members can be like this sometimes.
Reply 5
It is a bit disheartening when someone you are attracted to calls you cute when you want them to think of you as sexy
Reply 6
Depends on the use of the word 'cute' I guess, but its certainly not necessarily a bad thing and I often think of some pretty girls as 'cute'.
Does it really matter? I mean, when my sister and I were growing up, I was always the "smart" one and she was always the "sensible" one. But they're both compliments, so why would either of us take offence?
Reply 8
Tbh, saying that you aren't "the pretty/modellish" one is quite rude :tongue:

But unfortunately even family members can be like this sometimes.

A few years ago i went through a phase of feeling a bit envious of my sister because whenever my auntie would come around she'd make comments like "wow isn't she beautiful, she could definitely be a model when she grows up" about my sister and i did kind of think "does that make me the ugly sister?" But i never said anything, i just got used to it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by tazarooni89
Does it really matter? I mean, when my sister and I were growing up, I was always the "smart" one and she was always the "sensible" one. But they're both compliments, so why would either of us take offence?

It's not a big deal, it's just come up in conversation a few times and with people's reactions to it i thought I'd just see what other people thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I call girls cute who are short or petite, has a innocent look about her. I wouldn't call a tall girl hot, would be pretty more than cute.
Original post by Serena20
A few years ago i went through a phase of feeling a bit envious of my sister because whenever my auntie would come around she'd make comments like "wow isn't she beautiful, she could definitely be a model when she grows up" about my sister and i did kind of think "does that make me the ugly sister?" But i never said anything, i just got used to it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I get where you're coming from :smile: I don't think your auntie's trying to be mean on purpose, but she definitely sounds insensitive.

The most important thing, however, is you. Do you think you're as beautiful as your sister? Are you confident in your appearance generally? If not, either do something to change it (for you) or decide to accept it. And learn to love yourself the way you are anyway. :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah, I get where you're coming from :smile: I don't think your auntie's trying to be mean on purpose, but she definitely sounds insensitive.

The most important thing, however, is you. Do you think you're as beautiful as your sister? Are you confident in your appearance generally? If not, either do something to change it (for you) or decide to accept it. And learn to love yourself the way you are anyway. :smile:

I definitely believe that my sister is prettier than myself, she is beautiful.

I'm pretty confident in my appearance, obviously like everyone i have bits that i don't like but I've learned to accept it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hah I take whatever I can get.
NOOOO! I call girls I like cute because it is a compliment and much more nicer!
Reply 15
I don't think it is if you're a girl. It's worse than death for a guy though.
Better than being ugly :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest