The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexKay99
The removed January exams put a lot more pressure on examiners with too many papers to correct. I believe there may be a lot more mistakes due to this, probably because examiners are not used to correcting so much...it is abnormal what my friend got and now I'm being told (because he sat IAL biology) that whole IAL biology classes in different places got Us. That can't be correct, exams can't be marked that harshly as to bring an A student down to a U. Also, he did get special consideration which, he said, it not affect him that much as to fail all of his exams. He sat both AS & A2 in June and every single unit came back a U (he got 200/600 UMS), with special consideration (roughly 25% average as I was told by an invigilator), that would leave him with only 8%- so effectively he only got 8% out of 100%. How is this possible? May be papers were mixed up, may be there was a problem with the computer?

As an examiner you don't mark more, you are only given a certain amount of scripts that does not really change every year. Examination boards request either examiners to increase their allocations (not forced but at your own will) or recruit more examiners. What I am providing are facts not speculation.
Last year one colleague predicted As to most students and test/mock results were supporting his predictions. Students were disappointed to find that they did not get what they were predicted, after further investigation it was found that tests were very easy, mock exams were not marked in accordance to the mark scheme and they were not properly taught exam technique. Could that be a possibility with other cases? probably but I am also speculating.
If you or your friend think you were wrongly marked then just go for a remark as an A2 student but I would only advice AS students to request their script first and seek feedback from their tutors before requesting a remark.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 201
Original post by keynes24
As an examiner you don't mark more, you are only given a certain amount of scripts that does not really change every year. Examination boards request either examiners to increase their allocations (not forced but at your own will) or recruit more examiners. What I am providing are facts not speculation.
Last year one colleague predicted As to most students and test/mock results were supporting his predictions. Students were disappointed to find that they did not get what they were predicted, after further investigation it was found that tests were very easy, mock exams were not marked with accordance to the mark scheme and they were not properly taught exam technique. Could that be a possibility with other cases? probably but I am also speculating.
If you or your friend think you were wrongly marked then just go for a remark as an A2 student but I would only advice AS students to request their script first and seek feedback from their tutors before requesting a remark.

Thank you for the information, I thought it would be wise to look at all the photocopy scripts first and then decide whether to go for a remark? What happens if the grade on the script is different to the one on the results statement, is it possible? Or could it be possible that the exam scripts got mixed up? I realise I'm quite unaware of how the marking process works.
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anyone received any priority remark results back from edexcel yet? The subject is maths if this is relevant, and I sent off for them on Thursday (well gave in form at my college)
Thank you for the information, I thought it would be wise to look at all the photocopy scripts first and then decide whether to go for a remark? What happens if the grade on the script is different to the one on the results statement, is it possible? Or could it be possible that the exam scripts got mixed up? I quite unaware of how the marking process works.

I would say it is very very unlikely for scripts to be mixed up. With Edexcel everything is done online and examiners do not have access to a student name or centre number. A single script is divided into different items (e.g. question 1, question 2.....) and several examiners will end up marking a single script. If you are an AS student there is no rush to get a remark, if I was in your position I would first request your script and send it to your tutor/teacher to go over it.
i poste a while back about the exdecel exams i told all that their exam papers and marking were much more difficult that the other boards, seems i was correct!!!
Reply 205
I got A's in all my practice papers, and A's in all my modules for AS....then boom - psychology unit 1 = E LOL

Definitely getting that one checked out. Dragged my psychology down to a B which is not needed for me at the moment with all the competition in applying to medicine....
Reply 206
I would say it is very very unlikely for scripts to be mixed up. With Edexcel everything is done online and examiners do not have access to a student name or centre number. A single script is divided into different items (e.g. question 1, question 2.....) and several examiners will end up marking a single script. If you are an AS student there is no rush to get a remark, if I was in your position I would first request your script and send it to your tutor/teacher to go over it.

I'm an A2 student but I have no university pending because I declined my offers and hoped to go into clearing, I'm in a limbo at the moment because my center still hasn't sent me my OCR English Literature results and they are not picking up the phone/replying to my emails. The center is very far from where I am at the moment so I cannot travel there. I've called OCR but they said they couldn't give me the result because of data protection. I really don't know what to do now. My friend is also an A2 student and hopes to apply to uni post-A level.
I'm an A2 student but I have no university pending because I declined my offers and hoped to go into clearing, I'm in a limbo at the moment because my center still hasn't sent me my OCR English Literature results and they are not picking up the phone/replying to my emails. The center is very far from where I am at the moment so I cannot travel there. I've called OCR but they said they couldn't give me the result because of data protection. I really don't know what to do now. My friend is also an A2 student and hopes to apply to uni post-A level.

You need to go the centre regardless of the distance. I would go there first thing tomorrow to get the remarks sorted if needed.
Reply 208
I got 136 UMS in economics which is a grade C but I need 140 UMS to get a grade B. Is it worth remarking?
Original post by subo_
I got 136 UMS in economics which is a grade C but I need 140 UMS to get a grade B. Is it worth remarking?

That is something you need to discuss with your tutor. As mentioned before I would suggest getting the scripts first and seek feedback from your tutor or teacher regarding any possible remark.
Thank you for the information, I thought it would be wise to look at all the photocopy scripts first and then decide whether to go for a remark? What happens if the grade on the script is different to the one on the results statement, is it possible? Or could it be possible that the exam scripts got mixed up? I realise I'm quite unaware of how the marking process works.

I've known one instance of a number miscopied into the results sheet. The candidate was recorded of having the same mark as the person above, 46 instead of 90 something, which is why we thought it suspicious. When the school contacted the board, they changed it immediately.
Reply 211
Original post by tiny hobbit
I've known one instance of a number miscopied into the results sheet. The candidate was recorded of having the same mark as the person above, 46 instead of 90 something, which is why we thought it suspicious. When the school contacted the board, they changed it immediately.

What about when someone has straight U's and shows not variation? By calculation my friend got 33% (200/600 ums) and about 25% of that was special consideration (but he said his condition did not effect him so much as to fail his entire A level because he answered every question and checked over his answers) that would leave him with 8% of what he actually got minus special consideration out of the total (100%) doesn't this look strange? Could his grades have been miscopied?
(edited 9 years ago)
What about when someone has straight U's and shows not variation? By calculation my friend got 33% (200/600 ums) and about 25% of that was special consideration (but he said his condition did not effect him so much as to fail his entire A level because he answered every question and checked over his answers) that would leave him with 8% of what he actually got minus special consideration out of 100% doesn't this look strange? Could his grades have been miscopied?

Speculation is not going to solve much, many things could happen. He should request a remark immediately if he thinks the paper was not marked correctly.
Reply 213
I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?

ABSOLUTELY. really was rooting for an A and I got a C in most of my exams and a U. absolutely shocked because one of the units I did was a retake and I knew that specification absolutely back to front. I revised ridiculously hard for all of my other units and knew them all so well... plus my coursework got marked down to Cs when I was expecting high As. So I'm glad someone started this forum
Reply 214
Speculation is not going to solve much, many things could happen. He should request a remark immediately if he thinks the paper was not marked correctly.

He has but nobody has replied yet, hopefully on Monday they will. :smile:
Reply 215
Original post by jcao03
ABSOLUTELY. really was rooting for an A and I got a C in most of my exams and a U. absolutely shocked because one of the units I did was a retake and I knew that specification absolutely back to front. I revised ridiculously hard for all of my other units and knew them all so well... plus my coursework got marked down to Cs when I was expecting high As. So I'm glad someone started this forum

Thank you. I understand that this years exams where difficult but I don't believe they wereTHAT difficult as to fail so many people, particularly A students. You should request to view a copy of your scripts and decide whether you want to remark as soon as possible because the deadline is the 22th I believe. :smile:
Reply 216
only one person in my class got above a C and everyone else got Cs or below. Well more than half the class failed and I had a fantastic teacher this year. I find it hard to believe that the people in my class weren't hard workers either as they all got offers from top unis... Strange! Still miraculously managed to get into first choice uni with bad grades but I guess they were sympathetic as it was reported on the news how grades are so low this year
Reply 217
How to sum up this entire thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Overshoot in your exams and when you are set back you will get your grade. Maybe there is some reasoning to the arguments presented here about English based subjects but for subjects like Maths there is no excuse. The mark scheme is linear and clear cut and under pressure it's difficult to produce good form. Accept that is something you will have to overcome and get on with your A2's.
Yes I definitely agree. I was supposed to get an A/A* in physics, was getting that in all the mocks, but in the actual exams I got Cs so I got a B overall. Trying to find the reason led me to the grade boundaries - on unit 4 there were 5 marks between grades and on unit 5 there were only 4 - that's 5% of the paper. Get 56 you get an A, get 51 you get a C. Absolutely disgusting, in my opinion grades should be at least 10% apart, so in this case 8 marks apart. Clearly they made ridiculous papers, everyone did similarly well, so they had to try and put people who otherwise would do quite averagely down a grade or two.
Chemistry A Level, anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest