The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d4isy
Is it edexcel geog? And which unit?

Keep me posted on outcome please!

No, sorry, AQA Unit 3. Good luck with yours though!
Has anyone received non-priority A Level re-marks results? If so, how long did it take and which exam board?
Original post by Godel_Mark
Has anyone received non-priority A Level re-marks results? If so, how long did it take and which exam board?

I put my re-mark through on Thursday 14th for non-priority for Edexcel French and received the outcome the following Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone is getting their remarks back but I thought it took 30 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've had Edexcel ones back in 1-3 days and AQA ones back in 3-7 days. Not even had all the priority re-marks back from OCR yet, even though some were ordered on 14th.
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Everyone is getting their remarks back but I thought it took 30 days

Up to 30 days. The quickest I've ever seen was about 90 minutes and it was successful.
Original post by Compost
Up to 30 days. The quickest I've ever seen was about 90 minutes and it was successful.

Would you have any idea on how long CIE non-priority would take?
Would you have any idea on how long CIE non-priority would take?

Not had much experience with it, but about 10 days.
Original post by ultra-musketeer
At the end of year 11 I got a C in IGCSE English Language. I felt outraged because my teachers had confidently predicted me an A*. Got the paper remarked. Grade didn't change. I even asked for a photocopy of the exam sheet and could see clearly my mistakes. The exam board hadn't done anything wrong; I just messed up.

I haven't been entirely happy with some of the results I've received, but rather than blaming the exam board I blame myself, which motivates me to improve. You won't gain anything by pinning your misfortunes on people you've never even met; if you can't accept responsibility for your failures, you're not going to get very far in life, and you certainly won't be able to prevent yourself from projecting an image of laziness and entitlement.

At the end of year 11, I also got a C in English Language. I also felt outraged, and got the script back. The examiner had marked incorrectly, and my paper was marked up to a high A.
Your situation can't be applied to every single A-level student. Because sometimes, the marking is unfair. If twice as many papers are being marked in the same period of time, it would be logical to assume that twice as many papers are marked incorrectly (or more).
ALSO, for STEM subjects, if you know the answer in the exam, it's pretty easy to deduce the mark you got. If you don't get similar to this mark, it'd be perfectly reasonable to get it remarked, as there is a chance that it's down to the examiner.
Original post by cerlohee
At the end of year 11, I also got a C in English Language. I also felt outraged, and got the script back. The examiner had marked incorrectly, and my paper was marked up to a high A.
Your situation can't be applied to every single A-level student. Because sometimes, the marking is unfair. If twice as many papers are being marked in the same period of time, it would be logical to assume that twice as many papers are marked incorrectly (or more).
ALSO, for STEM subjects, if you know the answer in the exam, it's pretty easy to deduce the mark you got. If you don't get similar to this mark, it'd be perfectly reasonable to get it remarked, as there is a chance that it's down to the examiner.

I agree, I felt like I had a comfortable A after my CIE A Level Physics exams, yet I got a B overall, even though I got an A in AS. One of my classmates who's an A* student and is going to study physics at uni also got a B.
My History came back exactly the same mark.

Having submitted it on Friday afternoon, and receiving the result on Tuesday early morning, they have marked, processed and checked an essay-subject exam in less than 24 hours.

My school is appealing!
Original post by ArtisticFlair
My History came back exactly the same mark.

Having submitted it on Friday afternoon, and receiving the result on Tuesday early morning, they have marked, processed and checked an essay-subject exam in less than 24 hours.

My school is appealing!

The request was submitted online on Friday, it would be routed electronically to a senior marker as soon as one was was available. Markers can and do work evenings and weekends, they are paid for what they do, not when they work. They try to turn priority remarks around quickly because university places are often depending on the outcome. How many hours did it take to write your essays? It really doesn't take that long to mark them, especially when a senior marker has become totally familiar with the mark schemes. Obviously I have no idea whether your papers are worthy of a higher mark but the turn around time is not surprising..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rovensie
I had the same problem with M1... I got nearly all 100 in mocks and even if not 100 it's a 97 or something... Got 89 in this summer's exam only and this happened to a lot of my friends as well, they are supposed to get around 95 and the all ended up around 85. And for a girl who is not good at Mechanics at all and got 85 or so in mocks... She got a 99? I doubt if there is a problem in the mark scheme. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the feeling that they overmarked me on M1 cause i missed out on two full questions, and there's no way that i got a lot of the answers correct, I got 78 ums in that exam and i really do not know how.
Same for Physics AS, unit1. Got a low A but again i didn't even answer 70% of the paper, and most my questions were wrong after checking the marking schemes online.
Then there's biology, where I've been getting full UMS on papers when i was preparing for the exams, yet i got a low B in one and a D in the other. And i thought the exams actually went ok. Question is, should i get Biology remarked?
Reply 293
I'm not sure about this becaue

I expected 100UMS in c1 which I got
I expected also 100UMS in C2 which I got
I however expected at least 86 with 60 raw marks as the A boundary and ended up with 78UMS
I could have put my life on it that I at least got 80% but maybe I just messed up
Requested my script back though :smile:

Ended up getting 98UMS in D1 expected 90UMS which still made my AS result 298/300
Edexcel were like this for GCSE too. I was passing maths all year (my worst subject) and came out with a failing grade. Yet the maths papers were my easiest out of all my GCSEs! How ludicrous.
If I was to request a non-priority AS Level Remark on Tuesday 26th August -> When should I expect to hear from the exam board @EDEXCEL

^ What is the average time from hearing back from exam boards - x Days? The subject remarks are for History, Maths & Physics.
Original post by SeftonStalag
Just got a remark for an Edexcel GCE RS module from 53/100 (D) to 90/100 (A), and overall from a C to an A. So happy!! So I think a remark is worth it if you think they might've undermarked you.

We deserve compensation in cases like this.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If I was to request a non-priority AS Level Remark on Tuesday 26th August -> When should I expect to hear from the exam board @EDEXCEL

^ What is the average time from hearing back from exam boards - x Days? The subject remarks are for History, Maths & Physics.

It depends massively on which exam board it is. Maths and Sciences from Edexcel rarely take more than a couple of days, up to 3 weeks isn't uncommon for essay subjects with OCR.
Reply 298
I think Edexcel made a mistake while issuing my result (if that's possible) because there's no way that I would actually get U in unit 1 and 2 of Biology as most of answers are exactly the same as in the Mark Scheme . Now I'm thinking to use one of their services , But I'm not sure which one should I use , Clerical check , ATS copy or should I go for remarking straight away , Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated
Original post by DK 96
I think Edexcel made a mistake while issuing my result (if that's possible) because there's no way that I would actually get U in unit 1 and 2 of Biology as most of answers are exactly the same as in the Mark Scheme . Now I'm thinking to use one of their services , But I'm not sure which one should I use , Clerical check , ATS copy or should I go for remarking straight away , Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated

If your teacher agrees with you get a remark. I think the deadline for requesting a script and then remark it has passed but I am not sure

Quick Reply

Latest