The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Selym95
A bit random, but you sound like you will have some information on this matter. What is the rule/consensus on applying for Spring Weeks/Summer internships twice? My degree can be either 3 or 4 years (depending on whether I take certain extra modules), assuming I just wanted to do 3 years and apply for SWs in first year, but in my 2nd year decide to make it a 4 year course, am I eligible to apply for SWs again in my second year (as it's now my 2nd year of a 4 year course)?

The same could be applied to those who decide to do a masters but have done their summer internship in their 2nd year.

Sorry if this seems a little complicated, but hopefully it makes sense.

People in this position generally do the internship twice (because of money) but it is fine to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Selym95
A bit random, but you sound like you will have some information on this matter. What is the rule/consensus on applying for Spring Weeks/Summer internships twice? My degree can be either 3 or 4 years (depending on whether I take certain extra modules), assuming I just wanted to do 3 years and apply for SWs in first year, but in my 2nd year decide to make it a 4 year course, am I eligible to apply for SWs again in my second year (as it's now my 2nd year of a 4 year course)?

The same could be applied to those who decide to do a masters but have done their summer internship in their 2nd year.

Original post by CD315
I'm having this problem as well - I won't know if I'm good enough to go onto 4th year until 2nd year at least.

I'm assuming as long as we don't apply to the same places we got offers from this year, we'll be fine.

Why dont you guys guys apply twice anyway? the worse they can do is just reject you
I'm going into university this September - I want to get into a Spring Week. I got 4A* 5As and 2Bs at GCSE, A*AA at A-level Geography, Maths and Economics and going to study Economics at the University of Nottingham. Are my academic credentials good enough?

For Spring Week apps, are you expected to have experience in finance?
Original post by Alex-Torres
I'm going into university this September - I want to get into a Spring Week. I got 4A* 5As and 2Bs at GCSE, A*AA at A-level Geography, Maths and Economics and going to study Economics at the University of Nottingham. Are my academic credentials good enough?

For Spring Week apps, are you expected to have experience in finance?

No, just join finance society and i think that would be enough,
Original post by Sun_Bear
No, just join finance society and i think that would be enough,

I went on the Ernst & Young Insight Day last year, so I'm thinking thats worth a mention (albeit it's accounting?). I teach A-level Economics on YouTube and have gained 105,000 views and 900 subscribers - do you think thats worth a mention? I guess it shows good communication skills since I can evidently explain complex ideas applicably.
Reply 365
Anybody know if a cover letter is required for UBS?

The competency questions sort of eliminate the need for one...
Original post by Alex-Torres
I went on the Ernst & Young Insight Day last year, so I'm thinking thats worth a mention (albeit it's accounting?). I teach A-level Economics on YouTube and have gained 105,000 views and 900 subscribers - do you think thats worth a mention? I guess it shows good communication skills since I can evidently explain complex ideas applicably.

Yh put it all in, my teacher worked for goldman as a trader and he said that at our age we haven't even done anywhere near enough to completely fill a whole side of A4
Reply 367
Original post by Jack_95
Anybody know if a cover letter is required for UBS?

The competency questions sort of eliminate the need for one...

Doesn't seem to ask for one
Reply 368
Yh put it all in, my teacher worked for goldman as a trader and he said that at our age we haven't even done anywhere near enough to completely fill a whole side of A4

Haha, worked at goldman as a trader and went on teaching sixth form pupils?

I know it the other way - guy teached like 1 month of history and went on to become a trader at a big firm though it was back in like the 90's
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Szmessh

Not awfully uncommon...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Szmessh

I know it the other way - guy teached like 1 month of history and went on to become a trader at a big firm though it was back in like the 90's

ya, check him out: http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Stephen-Grant/1421398394

Now that's what you call a resume...
Original post by Selym95

I think having been through a similar enough experience (done year 1, transferred, now have 3 years left), I'd be cautious with the programmes you apply to. If you manage to get all of the BB SW programmes in Y1, get to Y2 and decide you want to do a Master's, you're going to be extremely limited in your options for Y2 (Spring Week wise). You'll automatically lose your ability to convert your offers into Summer Internships. You could always choose an alternative to boost your CV for Y2, in prep. for applying to Summer Internships to Y3, but it's a bit risky.

Namely, you'll get into Y3 with your SW experience being from Y1. That won't come across too favourably. As a result I'd say by all means go for Spring Weeks in Y1 even if you don't know whether you'll be doing a Master's, just be aware of potential problems that could come up.

TL;DR: don't exhaust all of your SW options in Y1 and you'll be fine. You can do some in Y1, some in Y2 (provided you do a 4 yr degree) and you'll be set for applying to Summer Internships in Y3.

Original post by CD315
I'm having this problem as well - I won't know if I'm good enough to go onto 4th year until 2nd year at least.

I'm assuming as long as we don't apply to the same places we got offers from this year, we'll be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 372
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
I think having been through a similar enough experience (done year 1, transferred, now have 3 years left), I'd be cautious with the programmes you apply to. If you manage to get all of the BB SW programmes in Y1, get to Y2 and decide you want to do a Master's, you're going to be extremely limited in your options for Y2 (Spring Week wise). You'll automatically lose your ability to convert your offers into Summer Internships. You could always choose an alternative to boost your CV for Y2, in prep. for applying to Summer Internships to Y3, but it's a bit risky.

Namely, you'll get into Y3 with your SW experience being from Y1. That won't come across too favourably. As a result I'd say by all means go for Spring Weeks in Y1 even if you don't know whether you'll be doing a Master's, just be aware of potential problems that could come up.

TL;DR: don't exhaust all of your SW options in Y1 and you'll be fine. You can do some in Y1, some in Y2 (provided you do a 4 yr degree) and you'll be set for applying to Summer Internships in Y3.

What about SW Y1, SW + SA Y2, SA Y3? Feasable if SW from Y1 = SA from Y2 and SW from Y2 = SA in Y3? Hahaa bit optimistic maybe!
Original post by CD315
What about SW Y1, SW + SA Y2, SA Y3? Feasable if SW from Y1 = SA from Y2 and SW from Y2 = SA in Y3? Hahaa bit optimistic maybe!

That's not a bad plan, tbh. Although your SA from Y2 could be your SA from Y3 (if they're willing to give you an FT offer they'll let you come back the following year for another SA)

Posted from TSR Mobile
ya, check him out: http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Stephen-Grant/1421398394

Now that's what you call a resume...

Not bad at all, ha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD315

Creative, but you make contradictions if you tell firm x you're doing a Master's, and firm y you're not. You're lying to one of them, which won't look good. It could work, I just wouldn't risk it personally.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Creative, but you make contradictions if you tell firm x you're doing a Master's, and firm y you're not. You're lying to one of them, which won't look good. It could work, I just wouldn't risk it personally.

Some firms allow final year students to do internships (like Citi) so he could say that and then 'decide' to do the masters post offer/during internship etc. but you do raise a good point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
That's not a bad plan, tbh. Although your SA from Y2 could be your SA from Y3 (if they're willing to give you an FT offer they'll let you come back the following year for another SA)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure how many banks would let you do the latter? You'd usually have to bend the truth to get into a summer class in Year 2 of a four year course. Students who do two summer stints usually do them at different banks. I've known people on four year courses, who've not been able to accept a full time offer because they have another year to run. The merits of doing a summer with a grad role lined up seems debatable.

It's quite common for people to do Year 1: SW, Year 2: SW + SA, Yr3: SA (your actual penultimate year)
Year 4: grad role.

Nevertheless, plenty of people on four year courses fare well in SW applications due to the extra year at university/experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aenigma
Some firms allow final year students to do internships (like Citi) so he could say that and then 'decide' to do the masters post offer/during internship etc. but you do raise a good point

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem comes in that you'd have to accept both SW and SA roles by, say, March. The commitment is made prior to the internship. If you accept a SW offer in Y2, you accept that you're going to do a 4 year Master's; if you accept a SA offer in Y2, you accept that you're doing a 3 year degree. Even if you do change your mind at a later date, you've committed to two directly contrasting positions, which could get you in hot water if you're found out.
Do you think it's essential I sign up for graduatemonkey when I start uni in freshers?

Latest

Trending

Trending