The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizmoo0721
i done Edexcel Government and Politics. I've been tracking at a high A for most of the academic year and ended up with a B. (I was a bit disappointed with this and thought i had done a lot better than the marks show, especially on unit 2.
Unit 1: 96/100
Unit 2: 60/100

So I got 156, and 160 was an A.

I sent of for a remark and it came back exactly the same. I could have got the wrong idea of the question being asked but I don't think I did.

Does anyone think I could still be predicted an A and achieve and A at A2?

:tongue:

That's very close to the A boundary, so I say an A prediction is very realistic. It's not like you're that far off.
Original post by d4isy
how many UMS was 3 raw? well done btw :smile:

I think I need 5/6 more overall for an A.. do you think I should get all 5 remarked?

thankss :smile:

5 UMS in my case. I went up from 78 to 83 ums
I'm quite disappointed by my score in S1, I thought I'd scored a high A but I was actually 1 UMS away from that. Is it worth getting a remark, or is it too late?
Did Edexcel Geography AS - re-marks should be back in the next few days, if not hours.
Unit 1 - I got a D, like 48/90
Unit 2 - I got an A, like 50/70

Something fishy going on with Edexcel...

I got a C overall, I'm 3 UMS away from a B, fingers crossed!
Original post by StarvingAutist
I'm quite disappointed by my score in S1, I thought I'd scored a high A but I was actually 1 UMS away from that. Is it worth getting a remark, or is it too late?

it was worth getting a remark but 1 ums wouldn't really affect your overall grade though would it? how far away were you from an A overall?
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
it was worth getting a remark but 1 ums wouldn't really affect your overall grade though would it? how far away were you from an A overall?

No, in fact S1 hasn't been included in my maths A level at all; I did M1 and M2 and they were what counted towards it (and I did get an A in maths and still would do if M2 was replaced by S1). M2 was supposed to go towards further maths, which I'm starting next week, but now it looks as though S1 is what's going to count for that which is why a B in that isn't great.
No, in fact S1 hasn't been included in my maths A level at all; I did M1 and M2 and they were what counted towards it (and I did get an A in maths and still would do if M2 was replaced by S1). M2 was supposed to go towards further maths, which I'm starting next week, but now it looks as though S1 is what's going to count for that which is why a B in that isn't great.

ah ok i heard it could only go up by a few marks if you're lucky.. so i wouldn't worry about it too much.
(edited 9 years ago)

Well do another module for further then.
Original post by Old_Simon
Well do another module for further then.

Yeah, I think I'm doing enough modules this year for it not to matter anyway.. hopefully
UPDATE:

I got my remark back for Edexcel's 6HI03E (a level history Cold War option) last week, and it came back at exactly the same mark - a high-ish C, with 22/30 on the first essay and 20/40 on the second.

However, I got my paper back yesterday and read through it, and I am 80% sure i've been drastically under marked - probably due to poor handwriting. It is legible overall, but there are places where it takes a minute or so to decipher a word, which I think have meant the examiners who marked and remarked my paper haven't been able to follow my arguments.

I don't think this is righ tthough, and I've emailed my history teacher with the photocopy script and a typed up version of my answers, complete with all spelling mistakes/mixed up sentences to reflect the actual exam. If he agrees that I've been significantly undermarked, we're gonna appeal.
Original post by bored565
UPDATE:

I got my remark back for Edexcel's 6HI03E (a level history Cold War option) last week, and it came back at exactly the same mark - a high-ish C, with 22/30 on the first essay and 20/40 on the second.

However, I got my paper back yesterday and read through it, and I am 80% sure i've been drastically under marked - probably due to poor handwriting. It is legible overall, but there are places where it takes a minute or so to decipher a word, which I think have meant the examiners who marked and remarked my paper haven't been able to follow my arguments.

I don't think this is righ tthough, and I've emailed my history teacher with the photocopy script and a typed up version of my answers, complete with all spelling mistakes/mixed up sentences to reflect the actual exam. If he agrees that I've been significantly undermarked, we're gonna appeal.

Did you request the original script? If so, how long did it take to come back? The EXACT same thing has happened to me, with another Edexcel Unit 3 History (option A). We've request the original script a few days ago.

Apparently, examiners are under pressure to keep the marks the same when remarking! What's more, is that if the mark is +/- 3 marks during the remark, the original mark stands! So if your paper was remarked as 25/30 and 23/40 (giving you 48/70), your mark before the remark would be returned to you, showing "no change".

It's outrageous - if the toleration mark didn't exist for me, my overall grade would have gone from a B to an A. I too will appeal with my school if my teacher agrees that it has been incorrectly marked.
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Did you request the original script? If so, how long did it take to come back? The EXACT same thing has happened to me, with another Edexcel Unit 3 History (option A). We've request the original script a few days ago.

Apparently, examiners are under pressure to keep the marks the same when remarking! What's more, is that if the mark is +/- 3 marks during the remark, the original mark stands! So if your paper was remarked as 25/30 and 23/40 (giving you 48/70), your mark before the remark would be returned to you, showing "no change".

It's outrageous - if the toleration mark didn't exist for me, my overall grade would have gone from a B to an A. I too will appeal with my school if my teacher agrees that it has been incorrectly marked.

I got the remark on the 22nd and only just got the photocopied script yesterday, so I have until next Friday if I want to make an appeal because I think the limit is something like 14 days.

I don't think the system for these exams is entirely rational... I had no idea about this toleration mark. It just seems completely immoral that they should be able to keep the same mark when an examiner actually recognises some sort of change. I'm hoping that my history teacher is gonna agree that it isn't a C and make an appeal on the grounds that someone needs to type it up or something to get round the problem of crappy handwriting...

Essentially, the point is that if someone writes an answer which, when typed, is marked significantly higher than when it's handwritten because it's easier to follow, then surely everything should be done to make sure that the highest mark is given.

I think we'd both have grounds to appeal because Edexcel preface their mark schemes with 'There is no ceiling on achievement. All marks on the mark scheme should be used appropriately.' They most certainly have not.
Apparently, examiners are under pressure to keep the marks the same when remarking! What's more, is that if the mark is +/- 3 marks during the remark, the original mark stands!

This can't be true as I frequently see re-marks go up by 1 or 2 marks.
My CIE A Level Physics re-mark that I sent out on the 14th still hasn't arrived, is this unusual? It was a non-priority re-mark because CIE doesn't allow priority re-marks for international students. Given that CIE and OCR arr both part of Cambridge Assessment, I imagine they would take roughly the same amount of time with their re-marks
Original post by Godel_Mark
My CIE A Level Physics re-mark that I sent out on the 14th still hasn't arrived, is this unusual? It was a non-priority re-mark because CIE doesn't allow priority re-marks for international students. Given that CIE and OCR arr both part of Cambridge Assessment, I imagine they would take roughly the same amount of time with their re-marks

Unfortunately OCR are notoriously slow. I am still waiting on both the OCR non-priority re-marks submitted on 14th.
Original post by Compost
This can't be true as I frequently see re-marks go up by 1 or 2 marks.

It's either just an Edexcel History policy, or you're talking about 1 or 2 UMS marks, which, depending on the subject, could be more than 3 marks...
It's either just an Edexcel History policy, or you're talking about 1 or 2 UMS marks, which, depending on the subject, could be more than 3 marks...

The only point in the process that I have heard of any tolerance being applied is in the marking sampled and inspected by senior examiners to ensure that markers are applying the mark scheme consistently (steps 3 and 4 in the attached OCR process - all examiners follow similar steps)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/142042-marking-and-grading-assuring-ocr-s-accuracy.pdf
If in this standardisation process a marker is sometimes a mark or two out the papers they have worked on might not be remarked, if they often get it wrong or by a large margin, all of their work will be checked and you as a candidate would never know that it was remarked before results day.

If you request a remark and it goes up by one mark I am sure that the new mark will be awarded. If the policy you describe for candidate remarks was true, it would have to be documented publicly and I don't see it in any edexcel or JCQ documentation. I know of candidates who have requested remarks that have gone up by a single raw mark and that has been enough to change their overall grade (though not I admit for edexcel history).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
The only point in the process that I have heard of any tolerance being applied is in the marking sampled and inspected by senior examiners to ensure that markers are applying the mark scheme consistently (steps 3 and 4 in the attached OCR process - all examiners follow similar steps)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/142042-marking-and-grading-assuring-ocr-s-accuracy.pdf
If in this standardisation process a marker is sometimes a mark or two out the papers they have worked on might not be remarked, if they often get it wrong or by a large margin, all of their work will be checked and you as a candidate would never know that it was remarked before results day.

If you request a remark and it goes up by one mark I am sure that the new mark will be awarded. If the policy you describe for candidate remarks was true, it would have to be documented publicly and I don't see it in any edexcel or JCQ documentation. I know of candidates who have requested remarks that have gone up by a single raw mark and that has been enough to change their overall grade (though not I admit for edexcel history).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm just going by what my teacher has told me, as an Edexcel senior examiner for Politics. I do trust him though, and the toleration mark sort of does make sense - because otherwise loads of scripts just 1 UMS off the A/B boundaries will go up a grade because History is a subjective essay subject!

In this sense, people could potentially 'buy' (for £40) a higher grade, taking a chance that their script could go up by 1/2 marks.

I meant raw.
For edexcel geography unit 1 I just got script back and found out the examiner didn't mark my correctly I got 47/65 in section A then 1/15 when both my teachers are examiners and said it should off been at least 8-10/15, there is something clearly fishy going on at edexcel, my teacher is an examiner and he claims that they read your essay in less than 25seconds and mistake I'm harsh marking is coming. I'm so pissed at this
Reply 339
Original post by Alice Moody
I agree. with my Biology, i got an E. i got a B in the course work, a C in one unit and U in another. surely these together would be a D??

I got the exact same as you in exam and course work. And btw, I was predicted at least a B and got Cs and above in all mocks Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest