The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE French re-mark

Hi does anybody know how long it takes for the outcome of a re-mark to come back to me from AQA? I was one mark off an A in UMS on my French GCSE so I've just signed some papers to send it off.
I would also like to know how long AQA can take to do a remark, if anyone has experience with GCSE papers, please let us know! :smile:
Reply 2
Close relative is an Exams Officer, she says AQA and all other boards will do the priority A level re-marks first in August (for those who have a Uni place depending upon it).

Then in September the Exam Boards will do non-priority re-marks which can take anything from one day to one month depending upon the subject and how inundated the subject examiners are. Most took about a week or 10 days last year.

So no rush to get your re-mark request back to school, the first week or two of term in Sept is fine - ask your Exams Office if they have set an internal deadline to receive and handle these - and you should know later in Sept what the outcome is.

Percentage of cases where the grade goes up varies but is not high, maybe 5% or less she says. Sometimes the mark goes down a bit by a few points so it's a chance you take; very unlikely for a whole grade to go down if you are near the next grade above, she has never seen this happen (but theoretically possible).
I got 257... anyone know how many that is off an A*
Reply 4
Original post by hellomoto170
I got 257... anyone know how many that is off an A*

I heard 270 is an A*.
Reply 5
Just a question, all my units are being sent off to get remarked to maximise my chances of finding a mark. Does that mean my coursework will be sent off for remark or just my Reading and Listening exams?
Original post by Danatlive
I heard 270 is an A*.

thanks, I read that somewhere else also so I think it's correct. If it was 260 I'd be annoyed!
Reply 7
Just a question, all my units are being sent off to get remarked to maximise my chances of finding a mark. Does that mean my coursework will be sent off for remark or just my Reading and Listening exams?

Not the coursework, that can't be re-marked for an individual student like an exam can.
Reply 8
Original post by Lizzy12
Not the coursework, that can't be re-marked for an individual student like an exam can.

Why not?
Reply 9
i got 266 and needed 270 for A* ... how many raw marks do you reckon i needed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Why not?

For externally marked coursework you can apply for a re-mark as through it were an exam (this is true for AQA French writing). However, most coursework (including French speaking) is marked by the centre, and then a specified sample is sent off to be externally moderated. The centre's marks are then adjusted up or down or left untouched based on what the moderator thought of the centre's marking. This means that the whole set has been considered as one group, and you can only get the marks adjusted if the centre isn't happy with the moderation and pays for the whole cohort to be re-moderated.
Reply 11
Original post by Data
For externally marked coursework you can apply for a re-mark as through it were an exam (this is true for AQA French writing). However, most coursework (including French speaking) is marked by the centre, and then a specified sample is sent off to be externally moderated. The centre's marks are then adjusted up or down or left untouched based on what the moderator thought of the centre's marking. This means that the whole set has been considered as one group, and you can only get the marks adjusted if the centre isn't happy with the moderation and pays for the whole cohort to be re-moderated.

I would only want my writing coursework to be moderated anyway as my teacher told me I had a high A/A* but it was marked down to a B.
Reply 12
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Hi, I know this is like 3 years later, but I wanted to ask if the remark had bumped your grade.
I have just done aqa gcse French and got a B, 3 UMS off an A.
My teacher predicted an A* though.
here are my results:
unit 1 - c
unit 2 - a
unit 3 - a*
unit 4 - b
do you think its worth remarking, if so, which ones do you think I should remark? Is it not possible to get my unit 3 (speaking) remarked either? does the price stay the same, no matter how many you remark?
On my writing, my teacher had predicted an A*, but I came out with a B.
Thanks!

Hi, well 3 years ago! That really has shocked me haha.
If I remember correctly, I got all my modules remarked and 1 came back with 1 extra mark and 1 came back with 1 lesser mark so I ended up with the same grade overall. As far as I know I think the remarks cost per module but my school paid for mine.

But just because I didn't get a higher mark doesn't mean you won't either.

Good luck if you decide to go forward with it.

Quick Reply

Latest