The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Fas
Hey guys, i was wondering if someone could help me understand the application process for a Spring Week internship? what would i have to do to try and increase my chances of getting a SW placement with a top IB firm (JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs etc), how much does University come into it? (i'll be attending Uni of Bath btw). Also when would be the best time to apply? how competitive can these places get?

sorry for all the questions, im just really new to all this stuff! if someone could help though, that would be amazing! :smile:

http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/how-to-get-a-spring-week-part-i.63/
Original post by jamesrorytiffin
I'm also doing a year placement in my third year, however, if I was to apply for a SW in my second year, I would also have to do a placement year application at the same time and most places wont let you do this, will they?

I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest.

Original post by Fas
ah ok, just as i feared haha. So in that case, is there anything i can do during my 1st year, to grab some relevant work experience?

I would recommend applying for organisations such as SEO/Rare/Brokerage/Bright Network as they can be helpful in offering summer internships and other smaller insight events etc.. which you could utilise for networking opportunities.
Can I get into a SW? A*A*AA (Maths, physics, FM, chem) going to university of Bham for chem eng but no finance WE
Reply 503
Original post by Little Wing
Can I get into a SW? A*A*AA (Maths, physics, FM, chem) going to university of Bham for chem eng but no finance WE

http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/...eek-part-i.63/
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest.

I would recommend applying for organisations such as SEO/Rare/Brokerage/Bright Network as they can be helpful in offering summer internships and other smaller insight events etc.. which you could utilise for networking opportunities.

oh ok thats really useful, thanks! :smile: will have a look into that, and hopefully will set me up well for applying for an SW in my second year :smile:
Original post by Fas
that's the plan, however what im confused about is which year i should apply for the SW one. i just assumed i should apply this October, however since my degree is a 4-year degree, would the SW internship even be open for me to apply to, as i will be on the 1st year of my course, and not the 2nd.

Apply in second year for the SW application as you're doing a 4 year course; it is not available to you in your first year
Original post by will2348
Anything like the above will help your application but it won't necessarily make up for a lack of relevant work experience. However, at this stage, they do not really expect you to have any real relevant work experience. In saying that, plenty of people do and they always secure offers much easier. Therefore, it's up to you to decide whether the time commitment of that is worth the benefit. It shows your serious about the industry so it could be viewed as very impressive.

Thanks for your view on things, I've already registered for the certificate and don't think it would be all that hard to pass it before next year so instead of saying 'studying for the ICAEW CFAB I can actually say I have it. In terms of work experience though the only remotely relevant thing, which isn't to IB but is to finance is I'm getting a weeks worth of work experience in a companies finance department for next week, plus before next year I'm hoping to have made a fair few contacts in which would be able to provide me some work experience, or at least insights into the industry at the very least!

I've currently only got the very basic and probably standard CV of having leadership roles, good grades, part time job, etc so now I'm using this year to work on making it more impressive in the industry.
Actually, all this seems a bit retarded, I think I will stick to Chem eng, go into oil and earn more than most bankers for half the effort.
Actually, all this seems a bit retarded, I think I will stick to Chem eng, go into oil and earn more than most bankers for half the effort.

Lol i don't think so

I wish you all the very best sir. Make sure to PM us your 6 figure pay slip.
Reply 511
Original post by Sun_Bear
Lol i don't think so

Original post by Abdul-Karim
I wish you all the very best sir. Make sure to PM us your 6 figure pay slip.

Lol where do you guys live, like oil (or other commodity) traders couldn't make more than bankers (wtf this argument came from) -> they often do MUCH more
Original post by Szmessh
Lol where do you guys live, like oil (or other commodity) traders couldn't make more than bankers (wtf this argument came from) -> they often do MUCH more

I highly doubt the average oil trader makes more than the average FO banker inc bonus and everything

Original post by Szmessh

Is he even talking about trading?

He said 'go into oil'
Original post by Szmessh

People generally use 'banker' as an umbrella term for all the employees that operate within the businesses lines of an investment bank. So traders are included in my attempt at being sarcastic to his statement. I doubt an engineer working in the oil industry will earn more (on average) than a commodities trader over his working life span, nonetheless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 515
I highly doubt the average oil trader makes more than the average FO banker inc bonus and everything

At junior levels yeah bankers are better paid by a couple of grands - for what, working twice the hours? What I'm trying to point out is that you laughed that guy out (lol at sending a "6 figures pay"): the star traders' pay won't compare to star bankers' by no means
Original post by Szmessh
At junior levels yeah bankers are better paid by a couple of grands - for what, working twice the hours? What I'm trying to point out is that you laughed that guy out (lol at sending a "6 figures pay"): the star traders' pay won't compare to star bankers' by no means

If you look at my quote i highlighted the fact this person was thinking he was "going into oil" (whatever that means?? i think he's going to get very black and sticky) and thinks he is going to out earn most bankers with less hours which is laughable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 517
If you look at my quote i highlighted the fact this person was thinking he was "going into oil" (whatever that means?? i think he's going to get very black and sticky) and thinks he is going to out earn most bankers with less hours which is laughable.

oh OK I just thought it's pretty straightforward by "going into oil", since it's a finance forum, means becoming an oil trader.
Original post by Szmessh
oh OK I just thought it's pretty straightforward by "going into oil", since it's a finance forum, means becoming an oil trader.

I was being sarcastic... i was taking the piss out of the other guy who clearly doesn't know a huge amount about finance and still thinks he can rock up at BP or wherever with a chemical engineering degree and out earn most bankers with fewer hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
Woah woah woah, calm your tits..I was referring to the oil and gas industry as an actual engineering job (reservoir engineering to be specific), I wasn't trying to insult investment banking but I highly doubt that most people working under 'investment banking' will earn more on average than a reservoir engineer (although no one is arguing that the best bankers earn A LOT more than the best engineers).

Latest

Trending

Trending