The Student Room Group

Further Maths AS

Hi I am in my second year of college,
In my AS's I got Maths A with 273/300 and 98 in C2, 86 in C1 and 89 in M1. I also got B in Sociology, C in Physics and C in History. I came top of the year, and my maths teacher wants me to do AS Further Maths. But the only way I can do Further Maths is to teach to myself while in A2 further maths class. I am also dropping History. What do you think of my chances in Further Maths of getting a C or more? I think it will look really good on my personal statement that I taught myself further maths. But what do you think of my chances of succeeding?
It isn't that difficult to be honest. You should easily get anything above a C with a decent effort judging by your current module scores. For AS, you're more or less going to choose FP1, D1 and another module. They're pretty straight forward to teach yourself outside class so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You just need to organise yourself so you can do it without hindering your class work etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I did AS further maths, it's not too bad :smile: if you need help with D1, S1 or S2 (if you're doing any of them!) or FP1(because that's required!) feel free to PM me:smile:
I strongly suggest you focus on improving your grades in your other subjects - at the moment you have ABCC - so are likely to get ABC/ ABB or similar next year. However, if you spend your time working on further maths rather than your other subjects, you could potentially drop a grade or two - remember that A2s are more work than ASs. ABB will look a LOT better than BBCc for example, and will enable you to apply to much better universities. Bear in mind that universities are rarely that interested in extra ASs - and most conditional offers only ask for 3 A2 grades. Also, a C in AS FM will not look particularly good on your UCAS application/ CV anyway - top universities would be expecting an A/B.

What are you hoping to study at university? If you're planning to go down the maths/ engineering/ physical sciences route, then yes further maths may be useful to give you a bit of a headstart to the course. However, not all schools offer it as a subject and so most universities do not require it for these degrees - and so should teach you all the further maths knowledge required during the first year of your degree.

If you do go ahead with the Further Maths idea, there is not much point attending an A2 FM class unless you are also planning to sit the A2 exams - you will be doing different modules and the ones they will be studying will require the AS knowledge already. I recommend you self teach yourself, then go to a maths workshop a couple of lunchtimes a week (assuming your college offers them, if not pester your maths teacher to help) to ask a further maths teacher for some help on questions you are really stuck on.
Original post by DarkPeople
It isn't that difficult to be honest. You should easily get anything above a C with a decent effort judging by your current module scores. For AS, you're more or less going to choose FP1, D1 and another module. They're pretty straight forward to teach yourself outside class so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You just need to organise yourself so you can do it without hindering your class work etc.

Thanks,
I had my first lesson today I think I'm going to go FP1, S2 (because I would like to an actuary and stats is the best) and Numerical Methods (because the A2 class is doing it so that will make it easier for me)

Sorry about the slow reply
Original post by khadieja
I did AS further maths, it's not too bad :smile: if you need help with D1, S1 or S2 (if you're doing any of them!) or FP1(because that's required!) feel free to PM me:smile:

Thank you,

I'm doing atm FP1, S2 and Numerical Methods
Reply 6
I didn't do numerical methods, but if you need help with S2 or FP1 feel free to PM me!! :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I strongly suggest you focus on improving your grades in your other subjects - at the moment you have ABCC - are likely to get ABC/ ABB or similar next year. However, if you spend your time working on further maths rather than your other subjects, you could potentially drop a grade or two - remember that A2s are more work than ASs. ABB will look a LOT better than BBCc for example, and will enable you to apply to much better universities. Bear in mind that universities are rarely that interested in extra ASs - and most conditional offers only ask for 3 A2 grades. Also, a C in AS FM will not look particularly good on your UCAS application/ CV anyway - top universities would be expecting an A/B.

What are you hoping to study at university? If you're planning to go down the maths/ engineering/ physical sciences route, then yes further maths may be useful to give you a bit of a headstart to the course. However, not all schools offer it as a subject and so most universities do not require it for these degrees - and so should teach you all the further maths knowledge required during the first year of your degree.

If you do go ahead with the Further Maths idea, there is not much point attending an A2 FM class unless you are also planning to sit the A2 exams - you will be doing different modules and the ones they will be studying will require the AS knowledge already. I recommend you self teach yourself, then go to a maths workshop a couple of lunchtimes a week (assuming your college offers them, if not pester your maths teacher to help) to ask a further maths teacher for some help on questions you are really stuck on.

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on doing actuarial science which requires high maths skills. I hoping to get a A* prediction for maths and I'm way ahead of my class for maths as I always do a hour outside for every hour I do inside. I'm going to be doing numerical methods with the A2 class. I'm doing good S1 in As maths and I will be doing S2 in further maths.

I'm quite confident I will get a least an A in Maths and at least a B in Sociology and I hoping to get a B in physics because I will resit one test and go up
Original post by OwenEllicott1996
Thanks,
I had my first lesson today I think I'm going to go FP1, S2 (because I would like to an actuary and stats is the best) and Numerical Methods (because the A2 class is doing it so that will make it easier for me)

Sorry about the slow reply

Fun fact: I'm actually studying Actuarial Science haha. Going into my second year now. S2 is a great choice, you can talk about how you studied it in your personal statement. Also, most first year syllabuses for ActSci consist of a lot of things to do with S1/S2.
Original post by DarkPeople
Fun fact: I'm actually studying Actuarial Science haha. Going into my second year now. S2 is a great choice, you can talk about how you studied it in your personal statement. Also, most first year syllabuses for ActSci consist of a lot of things to do with S1/S2.

Ah thank you so much that'd great news,

Also as I'm an interested in studying actuarial science what uni are you going to and what grades did you get to get in plus any tips on personal statement
Ah thank you so much that'd great news,

Also as I'm an interested in studying actuarial science what uni are you going to and what grades did you get to get in plus any tips on personal statement

Sent you a PM :wink:
Hi I am in my second year of college,
In my AS's I got Maths A with 273/300 and 98 in C2, 86 in C1 and 89 in M1. I also got B in Sociology, C in Physics and C in History. I came top of the year, and my maths teacher wants me to do AS Further Maths. But the only way I can do Further Maths is to teach to myself while in A2 further maths class. I am also dropping History. What do you think of my chances in Further Maths of getting a C or more? I think it will look really good on my personal statement that I taught myself further maths. But what do you think of my chances of succeeding?

We got the same UMS for AS maths! but I scored differently in the 3. I got 88 core 1, 100 core 2, 85 D1.

I definitely think you will do well in further and I think you should take it, it would look good for university :smile:. I am also taking AS further maths this year, but i'm doing it in a classroom with year 12's.
Original post by crayolaguy
We got the same UMS for AS maths! but I scored differently in the 3. I got 88 core 1, 100 core 2, 85 D1.

I definitely think you will do well in further and I think you should take it, it would look good for university :smile:. I am also taking AS further maths this year, but i'm doing it in a classroom with year 12's.

yay another 100 UMSer in core 2
me and my friend were saying that they should really give the raw marks back too for 100 UMSers, as I got 100 UMS in core 2 and decision 1, but don't know how high/low they are...
Original post by pryngles
yay another 100 UMSer in core 2
me and my friend were saying that they should really give the raw marks back too for 100 UMSers, as I got 100 UMS in core 2 and decision 1, but don't know how high/low they are...

yeah, I know mine wasn't too high because after the exam i specifically remember getting 2 parts of questions wrong. I forgot to square root my answer for tan^2x and get 4 values. and there was another one i lost like 1 or 2 marks on, but that's it. They're giving core 2 100 UMS out for free :biggrin:.
yeah, I know mine wasn't too high because after the exam i specifically remember getting 2 parts of questions wrong. I forgot to square root my answer for tan^2x and get 4 values. and there was another one i lost like 1 or 2 marks on, but that's it. They're giving core 2 100 UMS out for free :biggrin:.

I know the boundaries were so low!!! Well done!!!
Did any of you guys do M1 AQA? That was the same boundary for 100 UMS as PC2 :biggrin:

I know for Mei c2 100 Ums was 71/72 I got 70/72 bit annoying I lost two ums for one mark
I know for Mei c2 100 Ums was 71/72 I got 70/72 bit annoying I lost two ums for one mark

damn unlucky :frown:.
Just started a level maths, you guys got any tips on how to / what type of things to do in order to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrnazz00923
Just started a level maths, you guys got any tips on how to / what type of things to do in order to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do past papers :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest