The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Hi everyone, I feel like I'm jumping on this bandwagon rather late but here goes. I'm going into a second year of an integrated masters in physics at Durham, dunno if this is a 'target' or not. I've not really considered anything to do with banking before. Recently have heard of spring weeks, which brings me to this thread. I want to know if anyone can reccomend me any reading material in preperation for applying, I am completely unfamiliar with the sector - so yeah ELI5. Got a first last year and 610 ucas points, so academics aren't too much of an issue - also I won a STEM scholarship last year from BP, if that's relevant. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the all the terminology etc, REALLY REALLY appreciate any help

thanks in advance.
Original post by B-Stacks
Got the confirmation too! Will see you lot there

Don't know how some of you look like, so you'll have to make the initiations. :rolleyes:

#TSR Squad
Reply 642
Original post by glug
Hi everyone, I feel like I'm jumping on this bandwagon rather late but here goes. I'm going into a second year of an integrated masters in physics at Durham, dunno if this is a 'target' or not. I've not really considered anything to do with banking before. Recently have heard of spring weeks, which brings me to this thread. I want to know if anyone can reccomend me any reading material in preperation for applying, I am completely unfamiliar with the sector - so yeah ELI5. Got a first last year and 610 ucas points, so academics aren't too much of an issue - also I won a STEM scholarship last year from BP, if that's relevant. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the all the terminology etc, REALLY REALLY appreciate any help

thanks in advance.

http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/how-to-get-a-spring-week-part-i.63/
Original post by glug

thanks in advance.

With regards to reading material to help with understanding technical terms and concepts I recommend the following resources:

Investopedia
Mergers & Inquisitions
The E Financial Careers Guide
The Goldman Sachs Capital Markets Guide
Goldman Sachs Overview of Divisions
The J.P. Morgan Jargon Buster
Market Place Videos
Money Week Videos
Khan Academy

With regards to the Spring Weeks application process:

Durham isn't a target but is the next best thing essentially, in terms of university clout.
How smartly dressed are you guys going for Bright Network? Only attending the afternoon session.
Original post by yl95
How smartly dressed are you guys going for Bright Network? Only attending the afternoon session.

Likewise, most probably a suit jacket and tie. Don't think much is expected.. after all it's nothing major. Should probably go in with something you would wear for an interview.
I just received the CS confirmation and I'm only in for the afternoon at the Bright Network event, who else is in the same boat as me?
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
I just received the CS confirmation and I'm only in for the afternoon at the Bright Network event, who else is in the same boat as me?

Likewise. The tickets for the morning sesh have gone.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Likewise. The tickets for the morning sesh have gone.

Ah man, I was limited with time this summer.

How comes you're not going to the morning session? Oh and congrats on your new position with the recruitment company!
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Ah man, I was limited with time this summer.

How comes you're not going to the morning session? Oh and congrats on your new position with the recruitment company!

By the time I even found out what Bright Network was, it was too late.

By the time I even found out what Bright Network was, it was too late.

np:rolleyes:
Original post by yl95

I'm going suited and booted for it, but mainly because that's what I feel comfortable wearing anyway.
I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt. I want to feel comfortable.
Whats this steps to spring you guys speak of?
Original post by Sun_Bear
Whats this steps to spring you guys speak of?

I think it was an invite only event. :dontknow:
Original post by thelion0
I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt. I want to feel comfortable.

Is this for the bright network event?

You're networking with professionals, you want to look relatively presentable in a corporate fasion. You have some big names attending, make an exception for one day.
Reply 656
what would everyone list their spring week preferences as? by firm from most preferable to least
Can somebody fill me in on this spring week thing?
Original post by Asddd
what would everyone list their spring week preferences as? by firm from most preferable to least

Anyone that will take me, currently. I feel I don't have enough to leverage to be deciding what firm I prefer to go to, especially given I'm a non-target.

Original post by Studyboy157
Can somebody fill me in on this spring week thing?

Take a read:

(edited 9 years ago)
Is this for the bright network event?

You're networking with professionals, you want to look relatively presentable in a corporate fasion. You have some big names attending, make an exception for one day.

oh right, thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending