The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Dear all,

I trust this message finds you well. I wanted to ask a few things, and was hoping if some of you could answer please.

1) How many pages is your CV and cover letter?
2) How can I be aware of all the banks which are currently open to applications? (shall I just trawl through this thread?)
3) Which systems (I see some of you mentioning Kenexa etc) do I need to practice for the online tests?

That's all, I would really appreciate any help. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how appreciative I am for this thread!!:smile:

http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/spring-week-applications-for-2015.71/
http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep-until-october.96/ (other alternatives could be AssessmentDay or GraduateMonkey)

Thank you so much! :smile:

I'm going to be starting at University of Southampton; would you regard this as a "Semi-target" or a target university at all?

I understand it is not a great university in the league tables, but what are your views?
Reply 722

I'm going to be starting at University of Southampton; would you regard this as a "Semi-target" or a target university at all?

I understand it is not a great university in the league tables, but what are your views?

hardly even a semi, but such questions have been discussed on both this and the forum I linked like a 100 times, check them out.
Reply 723
Think this has been asked before but I can't find it;

What's the view on the fit/motivation/competency questions within the application forms? Do they mimic the cover letter? I feel like I'm repeating myself, is this ok?

The general consensus is that it's not regarded as a target/semi-target, but that doesn't mean you can't break into the industry. I know several people from Southampton who've done both spring and summer internships, it's all about you're personal motivation now :tongue:
Dear all,

I trust this message finds you well. I wanted to ask a few things, and was hoping if some of you could answer please.

1) How many pages is your CV and cover letter?
2) How can I be aware of all the banks which are currently open to applications? (shall I just trawl through this thread?)
3) Which systems (I see some of you mentioning Kenexa etc) do I need to practice for the online tests?

That's all, I would really appreciate any help. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how appreciative I am for this thread!!:smile:

1) CV 1 page, Cover Letter 1 page.
2) There's a list on Canary Wharfian.
3) I'm practicing only Kenexa-Numerical (and Verbal since I'm not native-English).

Are you the gentleman who did a PE internship? Send me your Facebook in pm, I'd like to talk w/ you.
Original post by solaars
1) CV 1 page, Cover Letter 1 page.
2) There's a list on Canary Wharfian.
3) I'm practicing only Kenexa-Numerical (and Verbal since I'm not native-English).

Are you the gentleman who did a PE internship? Send me your Facebook in pm, I'd like to talk w/ you.

Thank you, and yes that was me :smile:

Just sending over a PM now..

Original post by Szmessh
hardly even a semi, but such questions have been discussed on both this and the forum I linked like a 100 times, check them out.

Sure, I'll do that! Thanks for your help

Original post by iCreptio
The general consensus is that it's not regarded as a target/semi-target, but that doesn't mean you can't break into the industry. I know several people from Southampton who've done both spring and summer internships, it's all about you're personal motivation now :tongue:

Oh that's fantastic, I just thought that perhaps it being a Russell group may help support my cause a bit?

Hey, i'm also attending southampton, studying economics and finance. Unfortunately, southampton is a complete non target and sends extremely few into FO at any bank (i've looked all over linkedin). I am considering a transfer to Edinburgh/Nottingham (and will email some other semi targets to check for availability) after this year which are semi targets and do place people into BBs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sun_Bear
Hey, i'm also attending southampton, studying economics and finance. Unfortunately, southampton is a complete non target and sends extremely few into FO at any bank (i've looked all over linkedin). I am considering a transfer to Edinburgh/Nottingham (and will email some other semi targets to check for availability) after this year which are semi targets and do place people into BBs.

That's wicked!! I was suppose to do Econ&Finance but opted for MORSE on results day - I'm now thinking of going back to Econ&Finance now haha :smile: (I don't think I'll hack MORSE)

I mean I was in the west-end for most of the summer, and the directors, CEOs, MDs etc that I came across all said Soton was well respected. With some decent experience, they all told me I'd be in with a good shot.

I was interning with an Oxford student, and I got called back for next summer and he didn't lol
That's wicked!! I was suppose to do Econ&Finance but opted for MORSE on results day - I'm now thinking of going back to Econ&Finance now haha :smile: (I don't think I'll hack MORSE)

I mean I was in the west-end for most of the summer, and the directors, CEOs, MDs etc that I came across all said Soton was well respected. With some decent experience, they all told me I'd be in with a good shot.

I was interning with an Oxford student, and I got called back for next summer and he didn't lol

The whole notion of target/semi target is generally to get you to the interview stages. After that it's an individuals ability to surpass their counterparts through the recruitment process. The reason you see many 'target' kids in F/O especially, is they are generally relatively brighter than the kids at non-targets (which is a reasonable assumption). With regards to internship retainments, it's about impressing your manager (regardless of university).
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The whole notion of target/semi target is generally to get you to the interview stages. After that it's an individuals ability to surpass their counterparts through the recruitment process. The reason you see many 'target' kids in F/O especially, is they are generally relatively brighter than the kids at non-targets (which is a reasonable assumption). With regards to internship retainments, it's about impressing your manager (regardless of university).

That's fairly put :smile: a bit random, but do you know of any websites that are related to Sales/Trading, and are great for leisure purposes? i.e. just to browse and read during spare time or to play virtual trading accounts on.

Thanks again,
That's fairly put :smile: a bit random, but do you know of any websites that are related to Sales/Trading, and are great for leisure purposes? i.e. just to browse and read during spare time or to play virtual trading accounts on.

Thanks again,

I use MarketWatch personally. But also sites like FT/Bloomberg are good.

I am melting with these numerical reasoning practices. :cry2:
I use MarketWatch personally. But also sites like FT/Bloomberg are good.

I am melting with these numerical reasoning practices. :cry2:

Haha I have yet to begin my practice tests. Would you recommend purchasing the Kenexa package? (I recall you saying you were going to purchase a pack)

Great, MarketWatch is a new one to me!

Are you going to be at the CS induction tomorrow?
Reply 733
Morgan Stanley isn't open yet, right?

Nice, I think MORSE is too theoretical and less practical than econ+fin for me. With CEOs and MDs remember when they were in university it was about 30 years ago when the financial sector was a lot less competitive and less structured to get into. Are u on the soton facebook freshers group?
Haha I have yet to begin my practice tests. Would you recommend purchasing the Kenexa package? (I recall you saying you were going to purchase a pack)

Great, MarketWatch is a new one to me!

Are you going to be at the CS induction tomorrow?

I bought it but the practice tests seem to be quite difficult.

Yeah, I'll be at CS tomorrow.
Nice, I think MORSE is too theoretical and less practical than econ+fin for me. With CEOs and MDs remember when they were in university it was about 30 years ago when the financial sector was a lot less competitive and less structured to get into. Are u on the soton facebook freshers group?

I'm having similar thoughts!! It seems way too Quantitative for me, too many Stats modules.

I know what you mean, I guess that'll probably encourage me to transfer too? But transferring will mean you'll have to set up fresh again elsewhere :confused: I'm not on any of the freshers pages, but will sign up tomorrow evening perhaps?

Are they useful?

I bought it but the practice tests seem to be quite difficult.

Yeah, I'll be at CS tomorrow.

Oh really? That's sightly encouraging in the sense I would get some good practice.

Great, I know what you look like by face so I'll make the initiations :smile: I have you on Linkedin anyway.
Original post by Jyckee
Morgan Stanley isn't open yet, right?

Correct
I'm having similar thoughts!! It seems way too Quantitative for me, too many Stats modules.

I know what you mean, I guess that'll probably encourage me to transfer too? But transferring will mean you'll have to set up fresh again elsewhere :confused: I'm not on any of the freshers pages, but will sign up tomorrow evening perhaps?

Are they useful?

Oh really? That's sightly encouraging in the sense I would get some good practice.

Great, I know what you look like by face so I'll make the initiations :smile: I have you on Linkedin anyway.

I just use to them find other people in my accommodation or course. I have also found out about freshers events at Southampton such as icebreaker, zoo and the master pass... i don't know if you know about them.
I just use to them find other people in my accommodation or course. I have also found out about freshers events at Southampton such as icebreaker, zoo and the master pass... i don't know if you know about them.

I'll send you a PM now :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending