The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Excuse my ignorance, but are the spring week programmes specific to what area of banking one would like to go into? I mean, I was under the assumption that all spring-weeks at any bank would be there to show you an overall of all the different departments?

Some SW's are general (small insight into all divisions), and some are division specific

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Some SW's are general (small insight into all divisions), and some are division specific

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, so I'm guessing I'll have to tailor some of CL's to being division specific? (would you encourage this?)

Thanks for your help.
Reply 922
Original post by Noble.
I think IBD is more competitive due to the fact people with non-quantitative degrees tend to be put off applying for S&T (righly or wrongly) whereas IBD is open to all disciplines. That said, despite IBD being more competitive on a success rate basis, I wouldn't automatically assume it's then easier to get into S&T over IBD. I get the impression more people will be willing to apply for IBD 'for the heck of it' than with S&T.

Fair points. I recently heard that for every 1 hire in S&T, there are 10 in IBD. Then again, I don't know how many apply to each in comparison.
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Oh I see, so I'm guessing I'll have to tailor some of CL's to being division specific? (would you encourage this?)

Thanks for your help.

I think most CL's will require you to be more-or-less division specific (it helps demonstrate your interest in the industry). I'd encourage that, yep.
Original post by CD315
Fair points. I recently heard that for every 1 hire in S&T, there are 10 in IBD. Then again, I don't know how many apply to each in comparison.

Ouch. If that's true I should probably apply for IBD instead :rofl:
Think I'm going to have to do my homework a little before I'm able to select a division :tongue:
Original post by Patrickh
RBC capital markets do a summer internship not specifying you have to be a 2nd year- is it worth applying to along with the spring weeks?

I know someone (admittedly not very well at all) who got an internship with them in their first year and a guy who got interviewed by them in his first year. Not sure if that sheds any light but bear in mind I think they have a limit on the number of applications you can send off in a cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.

(on a slightly more serious note) never apply on the basis of the stats. They'll see through you if you're not interested and ding you. Chance of being dinged for a bad choice > chance of getting through the competitive applications of a division you're interested in
(on a slightly more serious note) never apply on the basis of the stats. They'll see through you if you're not interested and ding you. Chance of being dinged for a bad choice > chance of getting through the competitive applications of a division you're interested in

I wasn't being serious :tongue:

I'm not interested in working in IBD in the slightest.
Original post by Noble.
I wasn't being serious :tongue:

I'm not interested in working in IBD in the slightest.

High five :tongue:
Original post by justanothergirl4
Checking into this thread!

Good luck with your applications :h:

Good luck with yours too! Interested in a particular division?
Good luck with yours too! Interested in a particular division?

I'm going to spend today researching further into the divisions and then make a decision :smile:

What about yourself? & how did you decide? :smile:
Original post by justanothergirl4
I'm going to spend today researching further into the divisions and then make a decision :smile:

What about yourself? & how did you decide? :smile:

Awesome! Be sure to check out any events that banks are holding at your university. They're the best thing to help you come to a decision.

I think I'm set on Asset Management. I've had an insight into both that and Global Markets (Sales & Trading), but prefer what AM offers overall :smile:
Awesome! Be sure to check out any events that banks are holding at your university. They're the best thing to help you come to a decision.

I think I'm set on Asset Management. I've had an insight into both that and Global Markets (Sales & Trading), but prefer what AM offers overall :smile:

Yeah, I'm waiting until they visit campus before sending applications off hehe.

Ohh, very nice! :')
Reply 934
Original post by Noble.

Haha, exactly my thoughts :tongue:

How are things going for you ATM?
Original post by CD315
Haha, exactly my thoughts :tongue:

How are things going for you ATM?

Nothing much is happening. I suppose it's still quite early on.
Reply 936
Original post by Noble.
Nothing much is happening. I suppose it's still quite early on.

I guess that's true. Any particular preference of where you'd want to be?
Original post by CD315
I guess that's true. Any particular preference of where you'd want to be?

Not particularly. I'd rather be at one of the bigger banks (at least, at the start) and I'm quite a fan of Canary Wharf so one of CS/JPM/MS would be preferable I suppose :smile:
Is asset management FO?
Is it better to do a spring week in your first or second year of uni?

I'm not really sure I'll have enough time to make a decision, research the positions I'm applying for and make a decent application in time.

Latest

Trending

Trending