The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmajaneexoxo
I would but there is a chance of getting marked down, but i think thats really rare x

Re-marks go down a mark or 2 quite often but if you're close to the grade boundary above then the chance of it going down a grade in tiny.
I was predicted an A or B in Biology but ended up with a C... I was so upset but my teachers said because I did worst than expected in my other subjects as well, it was likley to be down to me. Got an email today from exams department at my school saying:

Following a review of AS BIOLOGY UNIT 2 by the EDEXCEL exam board we are pleased to inform you that your overall grade has changed

ORIGINAL GRADE C REGRADED TO B

I was so shocked, as I hadn't even considered getting a remark. Put my trust in Edexcel marking system, but clearly they mucked up!! I was ten marks off the next grade up in the paper that got remarked, so even if your note especially close to the grade boundary I would still say to go for it !!! One of my friends who got a B, then got marked up to an A!!!
Original post by AlexKay99
I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?

Totally agree! I was doing so well getting A's and B's (a few marks of an A*) bearing in mind I got a B in core science but that was because i didn't do no revision, this year I worked really hard and all, and for once actually felt I understood what I needed to know and came out with a C?! >:frown: i have no idea why or how this happened! this just lowered my overall grade....grr
Original post by 01BTelling
I was predicted an A or B in Biology but ended up with a C... I was so upset but my teachers said because I did worst than expected in my other subjects as well, it was likley to be down to me. Got an email today from exams department at my school saying:

Following a review of AS BIOLOGY UNIT 2 by the EDEXCEL exam board we are pleased to inform you that your overall grade has changed

ORIGINAL GRADE C REGRADED TO B

I was so shocked, as I hadn't even considered getting a remark. Put my trust in Edexcel marking system, but clearly they mucked up!! I was ten marks off the next grade up in the paper that got remarked, so even if your note especially close to the grade boundary I would still say to go for it !!! One of my friends who got a B, then got marked up to an A!!!

hmm i should have also asked for a re-mark :frown: but i was too upset to talk to anyone... although i am 1ums of an a in my geography so my teacher sent me a letter for my consent to get it re-marked (yahhy) at least one teacher is bothered with what i get :rolleyes:
Do you have to pay for a remark and how much is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 365
Original post by Kajisnotonfire
Do you have to pay for a remark and how much is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, around 40-something pounds. depending on the exam and board.
Reply 366
I thought I did badly (in my opinion) on my edexcel chemistry exams, but ended up with marks higher than what I was expecting.
(edited 9 years ago)
yes, around 40-something pounds. depending on the exam and board.

Tbh I think they low grade a selected few just so we get it remarked and they make money! I got a D in an edexcel history paper which I have never got in any mock I wanted a remark but my teacher told me it wasn't worth the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Original post by Kajisnotonfire
Tbh I think they low grade a selected few just so we get it remarked and they make money! I got a D in an edexcel history paper which I have never got in any mock I wanted a remark but my teacher told me it wasn't worth the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they make around 5.5 million pounds on remarks. Why wouldn't they make some extra cash? ****ing bastards.
I'm also bilingual, I'm actually applying to study English Literature at university post A level.
In my view, this is a test of Russian language for learners and speakers included. It is, like French, which is developed for a two year learning period...I believe the English Language exam is developed with an understanding of those who are taking it are most likely native speakers so I presume it is significantly harder. If I wanted a test of Russian language similar to your English one, I would have went to Russia for that.

The thing is, I got above 90% in every unit but one which was 72% and this is an anomaly. It's frustrating because I heard a person fluent in Italian got a U, this is just a joke.

I am in exactly same situation as yours for Russian. Overall grade over 90%, and last unit like 98 UMS. Have you had yours sent off for a remark?
Reply 370
Original post by CupidMupid
I am in exactly same situation as yours for Russian. Overall grade over 90%, and last unit like 98 UMS. Have you had yours sent off for a remark?

Yes I had sent it off, I also sent off my speaking unit for a clerical check because there was a 14.5/16 mark which was not rounded or anything, neither was it included in the total calculation! I also got 98 ums on the last one. I ordered the script and saw that my grammar was near perfect however it was the examiners own judgement whether he/she wanted to give me more marks for the essays themselves. Ridiculous, my essays were good, I know this because I read the examiner reports where they photocopied some exemplar essays from candidates and they weren't 'spectacular' as such and even they managed to get near full marks. My essays were too harshly marked!
Reply 371
How long did peoples Edexcel non priority remarks take for as level?
Did anyone do a RS Edexcel remark and get changes to their exam?
Original post by Bobbs
Did anyone do a RS Edexcel remark and get changes to their exam?

Edexcel Politics and AQA RS, still waiting on both non-priority. I'm expecting it by latest end of september
Reply 373
Original post by james1758
Edexcel Politics and AQA RS, still waiting on both non-priority. I'm expecting it by latest end of september

When did you send off for the remark?
Original post by Bobbs

1-7 days in general.
Got my RS and History remarks back and neither of them changed. My friend's history papers didn't change after remarking either. Kind of suspicious to be honest, I would have thought they would have changed a mark or two as they're both so subjective.
My A2 geography papers we're sent off last Thursday and haven't heard anything yet. Only need 1 UMS to go upto an A but I have a feeling it wont change!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
I've just started my A levels so I don't know how the marking was for A level Edexcel exams - but I did send off an Edexcel Economics GCSE exam off for a remark as I was 3 UMS off an A* - instead of it going up, it went down by 3 UMS which was disappointing.
I sent it off on Friday and it came back yesterday (Tuesday). I was quite shocked as to how quickly it came back, considering it only took 4 days (including the weekend) to mark mine as well as many other remark requests.
Any suggestions on what to do now? Should I leave it or request a script?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by as421
I've just started my A levels so I don't know how the marking was for A level Edexcel exams - but I did send off an Edexcel Economics GCSE exam off for a remark as I was 3 UMS off an A* - instead of it going up, it went down by 3 UMS which was disappointing.
I sent it off on Friday and it came back yesterday (Tuesday). I was quite shocked as to how quickly it came back, considering it only took 4 days (including the weekend) to mark mine as well as many other remark requests.
Any suggestions on what to do now? Should I leave it or request a script?

Leave it, there's no point getting the script back unless you want to learn from your mistakes and re-sit next summer.
Reply 379
does anyone think that edexcels marking for all of this years exams have been harsh and rushed resulting in disappointing grades/marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest