The Student Room Group

is respiration real?

I just started AS and my biology teacher said that everything we were taught about respiration is a lie and that oxygen and glucose don't react to make energy. I looked online but couldn't find anything, what did she mean?
She meant that it's a lot more complicated than what you were taught at gcse.

You'll see it's all about ADP, ATP, NAD, FAD, coenzymes, acetate, oxaloacetate, mitochondria, chemiosmosis, protons etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, nothing "makes" energy. Energy is released as a product of respiration. ATP is the universal energy currency for humans like us yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Year11guy
I just started AS and my biology teacher said that everything we were taught about respiration is a lie and that oxygen and glucose don't react to make energy. I looked online but couldn't find anything, what did she mean?

Original post by QuantumSuicide
She meant that it's a lot more complicated than what you were taught at gcse.

You'll see it's all about ADP, ATP, NAD, FAD, coenzymes, acetate, oxaloacetate, chemiosmosis, protons etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh i just think she means that its a hell lot more complicated than the oversimplified statement that glucose plus O2 = energy
Reply 4
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Also, nothing "makes" energy. Energy is released as a product of respiration. ATP is the universal energy currency for humans like us yo

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there's more to respiration than: Glucose+Oxygen--->Carbon dioxide+water?
If so, could you explain so I have some extra knowledge before we go over this
Reply 5
She just means what you were taught at GCSE is an oversimplification, not that respiration doesn't happen.

its very long, tedious and complicated.

Glucose is broken down into pyruvae which enters the krebs ccycle, oxidation reactions occurs, nad to nadh etc etc ,

its better to wait rlly

There is way more to respiration than that. Asking to go over it here would be a bit hard :P It is extremely complicated in terms of the number of stages.

Here is a video about the process to an A level standard (even then there is more you learn at a uni level standard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1TpLDul-4M

Indeed. I'd be here all day if i were to type it all out lol.

Use this: http://www.biologymad.com/master.html?http://www.biologymad.com/a2biology.htm

Even what you learn at a-level is a simplification.

Pretty sure respiration is only for A2, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
As implied by QuantumSuicide, never use the word 'make' to refer to energy. Energy is not made or destroyed, it is converted from one form to another (eg. chemical energy released as heat). This is the law of conservation of energy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Loool you're so cute, "Is resporation real?" Hahaha
Reply 11
Original post by Da Di Doo
Loool you're so cute, "Is resporation real?" Hahaha

Lol, I supposed I could've asked in a less childish way. xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending