The Student Room Group

Ocr b advancing physics as

Hi there,

I started my A levels and I'm doing maths further maths psychology and physics.

My physics course looks awful at the moment as its the OCR b course. The stuff in the book and what my teachers teach me is nothing to do with the exam (i know as i have looked at some papers). I'm not finding it hard but has anyone got tips for learning this course (i will probably have to teach it to myself now). I got and A* in physics, A in maths and B in further maths GCSE if this helps. my teachers stress the fact of using the CD in the book but apparently that's not helpful either. I want to study physics at Uni so .(particular atomic or particle or nuclear physics).

Has anyone got any advice for revision sites or books that will help? I've ordered the CGP revision guide for this course but apparently its useless. I'm starting to think of moving sixth form if there is no hope for this course. Should I change sixth form for a different course? Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by kennz
Hi there,

I started my A levels and I'm doing maths further maths psychology and physics.

My physics course looks awful at the moment as its the OCR b course. The stuff in the book and what my teachers teach me is nothing to do with the exam (i know as i have looked at some papers). I'm not finding it hard but has anyone got tips for learning this course (i will probably have to teach it to myself now). I got and A* in physics, A in maths and B in further maths GCSE if this helps. my teachers stress the fact of using the CD in the book but apparently that's not helpful either. I want to study physics at Uni so .(particular atomic or particle or nuclear physics).

Has anyone got any advice for revision sites or books that will help? I've ordered the CGP revision guide for this course but apparently its useless. I'm starting to think of moving sixth form if there is no hope for this course. Should I change sixth form for a different course? Does anyone have any advice?

Well done for realising that OCR B Physics is a load of nonsense! I also had to pretty much teach myself last year and I (somehow!) managed to get full marks so it's definitely possible. The good thing about OCR B is that the content itself isn't particularly hard - it's the application that's the tricky part. You shouldn't have too much trouble actually self-teaching the content. The textbook is pretty crap but if you read it properly, you should be able to make sense of most of the course. It was certainly enough (in conjunction with the specification) for me, I didn't use the CGP Revision Guide (although I own it).

As I said, the tricky part is the application of this knowledge. Whilst there's not much to learn, make sure you understand it very well. After that, it's just practice practice practice. I did every exam paper at least twice. Also, read the examiner's report - it's helpful. If there's any specific help you want with respect to the course, just send me a message.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Well done for realising that OCR B Physics is a load of nonsense! I also had to pretty much teach myself last year and I (somehow!) managed to get full marks so it's definitely possible. The good thing about OCR B is that the content itself isn't particularly hard - it's the application that's the tricky part. You shouldn't have too much trouble actually self-teaching the content. The textbook is pretty crap but if you read it properly, you should be able to make sense of most of the course. It was certainly enough (in conjunction with the specification) for me, I didn't use the CGP Revision Guide (although I own it).

As I said, the tricky part is the application of this knowledge. Whilst there's not much to learn, make sure you understand it very well. After that, it's just practice practice practice. I did every exam paper at least twice. Also, read the examiner's report - it's helpful. If there's any specific help you want with respect to the course, just send me a message.

Thanks for your help, do you have any good revision sites? And was the CD very helpful?
Original post by kennz
Thanks for your help, do you have any good revision sites? And was the CD very helpful?

I was never given access to the CD so I can't comment. I didn't really use any specific revision websites for the course, mainly past paper practice.
Reply 4
Ok, the CD is crap anyway as there is still no focus onto what is in the exam, its too broad. Im gonna use the cgp book, download the course spec and do practise papers. I will defo have to teach it to myself as the physics depo is **** at my school. I also found this website http://www.stokesleyscience.org/A%20level%20Physics/PhysicsIndex.htm and this
http://sam.davyson.com/as/physics/
I may get a tutor who actually knows their stuff at one point as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile

Im really struggling with imaging, like bytes pixels resolution and estimating stuff from and image. Im finding materials and that quite easy at the moment tho. Could u give me some tips or send me pics of ur revision notes?
Original post by kennz
Im really struggling with imaging, like bytes pixels resolution and estimating stuff from and image. Im finding materials and that quite easy at the moment tho. Could u give me some tips or send me pics of ur revision notes?

Not really sure what to suggest, I don't have any revision notes. What specifically are you finding hard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending