The Student Room Group

Farage-UK should reject immigrants who have serious illness such as HIV or TB

Poll

Should the UK be able to reject immigrants with serious illness

Nigel Farage has said that the UK immigration system should be able to reject immigrants who have serious illness or diseases such as HIV, TB and cancer saying they are a burden on our NHS and that the NHS is a national health service not an international health service. He also points out many other non EU countries already do this with over 60 countries not accepting people e.g. Singapore, UAE, Australia

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/10/nigel-farage-keep-hiv-positive-migrants-out-britain
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2787275/We-not-let-migrants-ve-got-HIV-says-Farage-Ukip-leader-wants-control-quantity-quality-people-coming-country.html

Do you agree the UK should be able to reject immigrants with serious illness?, sounds like common sense to me

Scroll to see replies

Of course we should ban HIV infected immigrants.

Immigrating to the uk is not a right it is a privilige and we British can choose to let in or refuse any group of people we want.

Banning HIV and TB immigrants protects our society.
Unless they're coming here for treatment or they've blocked the transmission of those infected, I don't see why they should come over.
Reply 3
Original post by UtopiaofEurope
Of course we should ban HIV infected immigrants.

Immigrating to the uk is not a right it is a privilige and we British can choose to let in or refuse any group of people we want.

Banning HIV and TB immigrants protects our society.

agree with you- it is a privilege
What if they're coming in as, say, a doctor, ie will probably contribute more in taxes than they take in treatment?
I think discriminating on health is a dangerous path to go down.
Original post by joker12345
What if they're coming in as, say, a doctor, ie will probably contribute more in taxes than they take in treatment?

Are you going to pay to treat everyone then because it ain't coming out of my taxes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They should stop smokers coming in.
Original post by will2348
Are you going to pay to treat everyone then because it ain't coming out of my taxes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does simply working here give you NHS entitlement or do you have to be a citizen?
As I said, I think we should discriminate on contribution - if they're gonna pay taxes they'll pay themselves.
Reply 8
We should be able to prevent anyone from coming in, especially those who will rely heavily on our infrastructure and health system out of necessity. When there are able-bodied doctors from India or engineers from China, why should we give priority to a HIV riddled individual with no qualifications and no finances, simply because they are European?
There should be a risk assessment and cost assessment done for every migrant coming into the country. Are they going to be a health risk to the population? Are they likely to be a financial burden to the country and how long for? I can see where Farage is coming from but a blanket approach is a bit too far in my opinion. A better approach would be to limit the number of migrants and do it on a case by case basis.
We should also ban immigrants with comb-overs too. That'll show them. Combing into our country, stealing our NHS money for wigs.

If they are working they would be paying into the system via taxes, so how is this a problem?
No, that's absolutely awful. How can you be so selfish? These people's lives are probably already horrible enough having to cope with these serious illnesses without being rejected by bigoted people who seem to think they're better than everyone else because they happened to be lucky enough to be born in a wealthy country.
Well then, flip the coin the other way...should the brits with HIV/TB/other serious condition be banned from moving somewhere else for having the condition? Think about it, put yourself in that position.This is such a narrow minded concept, i understand the banning of an individual with a serious criminal background...but because of suffering from a condition? That's inhumane, unethical and a serious discrimination. Also, this is coming from a health worker/student nurse.
Original post by Vlad_Tepes
Well then, flip the coin the other way...should the brits with HIV/TB/other serious condition be banned from moving somewhere else for having the condition? Think about it, put yourself in that position.This is such a narrow minded concept, i understand the banning of an individual with a serious criminal background...but because of suffering from a condition? That's inhumane, unethical and a serious discrimination. Also, this is coming from a health worker/student nurse.

I would respect any countries decision to ban hiv positive immigrants I have no problem with it.

And all immigration policies are discriminate.
Original post by SophiaLDN
We should also ban immigrants with comb-overs too. That'll show them. Combing into our country, stealing our NHS money for wigs.

If they are working they would be paying into the system via taxes, so how is this a problem?

would +1 if i had rep
Original post by joker12345

A doctor with HIV- thats more-stupid than a solar-powered torch!

So lets have a person who can potentially infect thousands :rolleyes:
Original post by SophiaLDN

Most immigrants are going to be low-skilled.
They will therefore pay (if any!) approximately £800 a year in tax
How much would HIV treatment cost the NHS?
What if they infect somebody?
Original post by Chlorophile
No, that's absolutely awful. How can you be so selfish? These people's lives are probably already horrible enough having to cope with these serious illnesses without being rejected by bigoted people who seem to think they're better than everyone else because they happened to be lucky enough to be born in a wealthy country.

Send me £100 to my paypal. No? Omg- you're "selfish"...
Original post by billydisco
A doctor with HIV- thats more-stupid than a solar-powered torch!

So lets have a person who can potentially infect thousands :rolleyes:

Not at all. If anything, a doctor with HIV will be more aware of possible risks and be able to take every precaution to prevent transmission (which, even if they had an open wound and bled into a patient is pretty low, btw, if they're on antiretrovirals). HIV isn't like ebola and isn't going to suddenly infect thousands. We should be supporting people with illnesses, not discrimination against them. FYI having HIV will not affect your ability to go to medical school.
Original post by billydisco
Send me £100 to my paypal. No? Omg- you're "selfish"...

A truly faultless analogy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending