The Student Room Group

Visa for Australian Elective

Hey everyone!

I might be going to Australia (Cairns) for my elective next summer and was wondering what visa I would need. I thought a Tourist visa (subclass e676) would do, but some people are saying I need a different kind as I'll be working rather than just being a tourist....

Has anyone else gone to Aus? What did you have visa-wise?

Scroll to see replies

If you're not being paid, you're not working. Should be fine with a tourist visa (which is free.) If you're worried you could always go for a 417 (working holiday) but you have to pay for that, and you're meant to holiday more than you work. The alternative is a 457, but that requires sponsorship from the hospital you'll be going to, and that costs an absolute fortune.
Reply 2
Original post by Rach L
Hey everyone!

I might be going to Australia (Cairns) for my elective next summer and was wondering what visa I would need. I thought a Tourist visa (subclass e676) would do, but some people are saying I need a different kind as I'll be working rather than just being a tourist....

I did my elective in sydney in January - the free tourist visa is fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Rach L
Hey everyone!

The tourist visa will suffice and it's free if it's observational work. Btw how did you sort out indemnity insurance? MDU said they wont do it for Australia which sucks. Also, are you doing a chest xray too?
Reply 4
Fabbb! Thanks guys!

Original post by nas7232
The tourist visa will suffice and it's free if it's observational work. Btw how did you sort out indemnity insurance? MDU said they wont do it for Australia which sucks. Also, are you doing a chest xray too?

I've went with MIPS and MDDUS (http://www.mddus.com/mddus/home.aspx).

Not sure on the chest x ray front at the moment, just about to send of my application and the uni haven't asked for one yet....
Reply 5
Original post by Rach L
Fabbb! Thanks guys!

I've went with MIPS and MDDUS (http://www.mddus.com/mddus/home.aspx).

Not sure on the chest x ray front at the moment, just about to send of my application and the uni haven't asked for one yet....

Ah thanks! Btw tickets to down under for next summer come out in 4-5 weeks if you're planning on booking early to save moneys.
Reply 6
Ooh thanks! Think I'm going to wait until the New Year - we've got Dec exams and if we fail them we've got resits right after elective so if I fail I might not go abroad. Feel like booking flights is tempting fate!!
Reply 7
Original post by Rach L
Ooh thanks! Think I'm going to wait until the New Year - we've got Dec exams and if we fail them we've got resits right after elective so if I fail I might not go abroad. Feel like booking flights is tempting fate!!

That's pretty scary. We get our finals' results on our elective... Med schools always have silly timetables! Good luck for exams =)
Reply 8
Hey,

Check with the uni. Generally a tourist visa is fine.

Enjoy Cairns, it's going to be damn hot in summer with temperatures above 35C! TB is not really a concern here, they will probably only ask you for an CXR if you are from a TB prone area or have travelled to such places.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the help!

Got another stupid question, how soon before going to Aus should I apply for the visa? Is it really complicated? I'm going next July....
Reply 10
A couple of months but you should have everything ready, like passport, finances, etc. Let me just say it's a lot easier than applying for a UK tier 4 study visa.
Reply 11
I've got some more questions...

I've looked on the aus government visa website and there is lots of classes of tourist visa. What one do I need? Ill only be in aus for 6/7 weeks.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

The options are all there. I'm thinking the 676 or the 976...
Original post by Rach L
I've got some more questions...

I've looked on the aus government visa website and there is lots of classes of tourist visa. What one do I need? Ill only be in aus for 6/7 weeks.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

The options are all there. I'm thinking the 676 or the 976...

I'm on my elective RIGHT NOW, in Melbourne. Literally typing to you from the hospital haha.

You need e676 - write all the correct details and see what they say - but in my case initally the automatic website thing says book an xray and bloods - but DON'T - just wait a few days and most likely it'll be approved without you needing the medical or paying anything!
Whoop!

Any other questions let me know
Reply 13
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'm on my elective RIGHT NOW, in Melbourne. Literally typing to you from the hospital haha.

You need e676 - write all the correct details and see what they say - but in my case initally the automatic website thing says book an xray and bloods - but DON'T - just wait a few days and most likely it'll be approved without you needing the medical or paying anything!
Whoop!

Hey there..m looking to apply for Electives in Aus..can you guide me through procedure plz..like some info..fee and accommodation etc..
Reply 14

Whoop!

Where do you stay for the elective? I heard st.kilda is where the fun side of things are but it's a bit of a commute to where the hospital is. Also, did you stay at international house? It seems expensive
Original post by Arzt
Hey there..m looking to apply for Electives in Aus..can you guide me through procedure plz..like some info..fee and accommodation etc..

Just email the universities in question - e.g. Monash, Uni of Melbourne etc.

Mine was 1000$ fee for 6 weeks

Original post by nas7232
Where do you stay for the elective? I heard st.kilda is where the fun side of things are but it's a bit of a commute to where the hospital is. Also, did you stay at international house? It seems expensive

I'm staying onsite in staff accommodation at the hospital - costing $924 for the 6 weeks
Reply 16
Just email the universities in question - e.g. Monash, Uni of Melbourne etc.

Mine was 1000$ fee for 6 weeks

I'm staying onsite in staff accommodation at the hospital - costing $924 for the 6 weeks

Hey, I am currently planning my elective in Melbourne. I was just wondering who you contacted to get accommodation at the hospital?

Thanks
Original post by L17
Hey, I am currently planning my elective in Melbourne. I was just wondering who you contacted to get accommodation at the hospital?

Thanks

The transport office I think - once you have the placement you can email them to ask for the accommodation. x
Reply 18

Whoop!

I hope so. They sent me that retarded email about getting a CXR and bloods of which costs £320. Problem is, I have an Indian surname even though I was born and brought up in England so chances are they will not accept. I guess if you change the details and say you may not be in a Hospital it gets rejected?

Btw are there anyone on here that got away with not having to pay ridiculous fees for health checks by the Visa peeps?
Reply 19
Any updates on if you can get away with not doing the medical, chest x-ray etc? I have submitted an e676, will I get an email confirming whether or not I need to do the medical stuff? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending