The Student Room Group

Finally, a study to show what we all knew anyway.

Those who voted remain have higher cognitive abilities.

https://neurosciencenews.com/cognitive-skills-brexit-25246/

Not really a shock to be honest, just nice to have something to back up what I already knew. You’d have to be really thick to vote to impose trade sanctions upon yourself. Oh wait….

Honest to god this has made my day.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Leavers got more street smarts though.
That's why they won.
Original post by Quady
Leavers got more street smarts though.
That's why they won.

PRSOM
This isn't surprising, really, but not from a 'I am smart, everyone else is stupid!' sort of perspective.

The rationale behind Brexit, rightly or wrongly, was something that appealed to working class, blue-collared voters, etc. Bringing jobs back to the UK, lowering immigration, etc. It didn't have as much appeal to the middle / upper class, white-collared voters, etc.

You will find correlation between class, job and educational attainment. You will also find some correlation educational attainment and cognitive ability. Ergo, the correlation between a persons vote and cognitive ability isn't surprising.

Leave voters were misinformed and misguided, but I don't see what good it does anyone to call them "thick". I know a lot of people who voted leave but are otherwise intelligent and very capable. If anything, I think the attitude that leave voters are all "thick" is what pushed a lot of people into voting that way (particularly the people who felt ignored by the 'liberal establishment'). Insulting people doesn't win them on your side, least not at a country wide level.
(edited 5 months ago)
And as support for Brexit continues to decrease, we can only assume the proportion of intelligent leave supporters is getting smaller. Factor in that half the population is of below median intelligence to begin with, and I'd say if you still support leaving there is a very good chance you are a bit of a dimwit.
(edited 5 months ago)
Some people who are formally educated and have gone through institutions are more pro-authority, obedient and conformist. This dimension is ignored I bet.
So easily accepted that remainers have higher 'cognitive abilities' than leavers, by certain people, I wonder if the same people would accept that white people have higher cognitive abilities than black people on the basis of much stronger evidence? Nah didn't think so.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Some people who are formally educated and have gone through institutions are more pro-authority, obedient and conformist. This dimension is ignored I bet.

Brexiters were betting Brexit would lead to lower net migration. How's that going for you?

So, rather than betting and being wild of the mark, you could read the actual research paper. Education was controlled for.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
So easily accepted that remainers have higher 'cognitive abilities' than leavers, by certain people, I wonder if the same people would accept that white people have higher cognitive abilities than black people on the basis of much stronger evidence? Nah didn't think so.

'Better evidence'? Brexiters voted for Brexit. It's literally self-evident that they are idiots.
Reply 9
Original post by Captain Haddock
'Better evidence'? Brexiters voted for Brexit. It's literally self-evident that they are idiots.

Which is why most political parties are listening to the electorate who are clamoring to apply to join the EU.
Original post by Captain Haddock

Ok, wasn't expecting anyone to address the point I made seriously.
Reply 11
Original post by imlikeahermit
Those who voted remain have higher cognitive abilities.

https://neurosciencenews.com/cognitive-skills-brexit-25246/

Not really a shock to be honest, just nice to have something to back up what I already knew. You’d have to be really thick to vote to impose trade sanctions upon yourself. Oh wait….

Honest to god this has made my day.

Given the average reading age for adults in the UK is 11 which is also the reading age required to read The Sun, it doesn't surprise me at all that the population as a whole can be manipulated with lies, deceit, gas lighting and simple narratives of good vs bad. I don't doubt for a second we in the UK could execute a holocaust of our own given the right circumstances and a leader charismatic enough and bonkers enough to have a go. I think we got lucky by ridding ourselves of Boris, but with the likes of Bravaman and Farage standing in the wings, we can't let our guard down for a second.

https://www.hee.nhs.uk/our-work/knowledge-library-services/improving-health-literacy
Original post by Gazpacho.
Brexiters were betting Brexit would lead to lower net migration. [url=How's]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_nEqqBXkAEmxyH?format=png&name=small]How's that going for you?

Even that is a good thing as it exposes the problem to be UK based instead of only the EU.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending