The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

The amount of maths required? I really need to brush up on my maths.
Original post by RowanL
Question 5)
The answer is a
because:
b) is not an implicit assumption it is stated as fact
c) is not suggested by the article
d) it is stated in the article that the authorities are responsible
e) not really commented on/suggested.

Question 6
This one is horrible, have no idea how you're supposed to tackle in an exam setting.
We know that 1974 was a year in which Aurthurs birthday had 8 digits and that the two remaining digits were his age.
There are 10 possible digits - 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Therefore there are the following possible combinations:
23|05/06/08|1974
25|03/06/08|1974
26|03/05/08|1974
28|03/05/06|1974
We also know that 1983 was a year in which Aurthurs birthday had 8 digits, therefore 8 and 3 must not be present in Aurthurs birthday.
This leaves us with:
25|06|1974
26|05|1974
In both cases the missing digits are 3 and 8 so Aurthur was 38 or 83 in 1974
25|06|1983
26|05|1983
In both cases the missing digits are 4 and 7 so Aurthur was 47 or 74 in 1983
Therefore Aurthur must have been 38 in 1974 and 47 in 1983.
Therefore Authur was born in 1936 so D is the answer.

I think you can do that question more simply as you don't need to bother with the day and month of his birthday
What is a 'good' score on this to get an interview??
Reply 123
Original post by Millerman
I think you can do that question more simply as you don't need to bother with the day and month of his birthday

Well you need to know which digits are left so I'm not sure how you can do it without. How would you propose solving it?
Reply 124
Original post by Millerman
What is a 'good' score on this to get an interview??

The answer is that it depends.

It depends on course/college and your background.

The courses which require the highest tsa scores are e&m and ppe. I don't know what the expectation is for other courses but I know approximately 35/50 correct answers will usually be considered a "good enough" score for interviews at most colleges for the two named courses.

Keep in mind that Oxford still sometimes favours states school applicants despite lower scores, or might not favour a private school applicant with a higher score...
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm scoring pretty consistently in the low 70s but am having trouble with the last few questions every time - on the last paper I did, I got 5 of the last 7 wrong. Anyone have any tips on how to approach these more difficult questions?
I already have the Thinking Skills by Butterworth, but it's quite a long read.So, is it worth going through it all, or should I just focus on practising questions?

Also, is the "Think You Can Think:Cracking the thinking skills" any good? I have a preview version of it and might get the entire book as it is a really fast and easy read.
Original post by TheArmouredSaint
I already have the Thinking Skills by Butterworth, but it's quite a long read.So, is it worth going through it all, or should I just focus on practising questions?

Also, is the "Think You Can Think:Cracking the thinking skills" any good? I have a preview version of it and might get the entire book as it is a really fast and easy read.

yeh it is, you should buy it
When is everyone going to start hitting the papers? A solid stint over half-term I presume?
Original post by RowanL
Well you need to know which digits are left so I'm not sure how you can do it without. How would you propose solving it?

3 and 8 must make his age in 1974, 7 and 4 must make his age in 1983. Therefore, arrange these with 9 years difference tells you he was 38 in 1974 and/or 47 in 1983. This means he was born at some point in 1936.
Reply 130
can we use extra paper for the essay?
Original post by mp001

I'm pretty sure your not allowed to have more paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mp001

No extra paper, keep your points concise and cut out the waffle!
Anyone have links to extra tests ?
I have saved some for a few days before the TSA.
And I couldn't find any Cambridge TSA's. Extra questions would be okay too :smile:
Anyone have links to extra tests ?
I have saved some for a few days before the TSA.
And I couldn't find any Cambridge TSA's. Extra questions would be okay too :smile:

think you can think has three practice papers. How did you find the ones you've done so far?
Does anyone know if you can bring a stop watch into the exam in order to determine how long you might have left?
Original post by Teddysmith123
Does anyone know if you can bring a stop watch into the exam in order to determine how long you might have left?

Cannot see why not, I'm going to use a digital watch. Timing is so critical with this (im yet to master it).
Original post by PolarBearSlayer
Cannot see why not, I'm going to use a digital watch. Timing is so critical with this (im yet to master it).

Yh that's why I wanted to bring the watch because timing can change everything! The thing is that the watch makes a slight noise when I turn it on and I'm not sure if that is allowed?
Original post by PolarBearSlayer
think you can think has three practice papers. How did you find the ones you've done so far?

Already done those. I used the ones from the ATS website, and I managed to find the 2007 TSA test, but it doesn't have the answers :unimpressed:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 139
Already done those. I used the ones from the ATS website, and I managed to find the 2007 TSA test, but it doesn't have the answers :unimpressed:

Where did you find the 2007 test?

Is 'Think You Can Think' the only book with more practice papers in it? I'm not interested in the theory of it all, I just want to practice more. So far I've only done 2008 and 2009, got 44/50 on both of them which I think is decent enough. I'm really focusing on TSA as my GCSEs are below average for PPE and I'm a post a level applicant so got nothing else to do:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending