The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ask a current chem eng student anything!

Scroll to see replies

How likely is it for someone to become a charted engineer with a BEng and Msc?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Shelock
thanks, it does. a few more questions if you dont mind.
What was your A level result and did you mention a lot of extra curricular activities in your personal statement?

3A*s and an A. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively. I wouldn't worry too much about getting stellar grades. From what I can see, there are plenty of students that haven't done Physics or Further Maths (or both!). If you've taken those subjects, you've already done a fraction of your Chem. Eng. course.

I did have quite a few extra curriculars on my PS but I am in no way an outgoing, prize-winning, club-presidenting person. I'm pretty much average in most aspects. I'm fairly certain my teacher recommendation had a big role to play in my admission. Make sure you let your teacher know beforehand that you're going to be asking for a recommendation so they have time to think about what to write.

Original post by captainncc1701
How likely is it for someone to become a charted engineer with a BEng and Msc?

From what I've heard, you need to work a set number of years (5 or 6?) after you've gotten your degree with a company that approves the IChemE accreditation.
Reply 142
Original post by djpailo
Do you study multiphase flows?

Yes. Two phase flows (gas + liquid) in the fluid mechanics course in the 3rd year.
What's the best book for thermofluids and physical chemistry? BEng Hons Chem Eng!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by babuchang
Hi guys
I'm entering my final year here at Imperial. If you guys have any questions regarding the course/Imperial feel free to ask!

Thanks for making this thread - reading through it has been really helpful!

I was just wondering if my subject choices could affect my application? I'm currently studying AS levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics (Predicted all A's). Will my lack of Physics put me at a significant disadvantage?

I was also planning to only continue with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A2, or is this a bad idea? The only reason I'd study a forth would be for Imperial and I feel as though I would be much more secure in achieving higher grades if I studied three :s-smilie:
In terms of reputation/prestige, would it be safe to compare UCL biochemical engineering with the reputation/prestige of ICL engineering courses?

Imperial doesn't have a biochemical engineering undergrad course unfortunately...
Original post by Zaffre
Thanks for making this thread - reading through it has been really helpful!

I was just wondering if my subject choices could affect my application? I'm currently studying AS levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics (Predicted all A's). Will my lack of Physics put me at a significant disadvantage?

I was also planning to only continue with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A2, or is this a bad idea? The only reason I'd study a forth would be for Imperial and I feel as though I would be much more secure in achieving higher grades if I studied three :s-smilie:

I'm in my first year at Imperial. I didn't do Physics which means that in my 'properties of matter' lectures at first, I often had no idea what was going on. But it's fine because the lecturer points you to a section of the Atkins book which you can read to build up your knowledge. And I find that once I go over my lecture notes and read the relevant material in the textbook, it all makes sense. So it's fine not to have done Physics before. :smile: It really isn't a problem at all. I also didn't do further maths.
Reply 147
Original post by ThePhoenix13
I'm in my first year at Imperial. I didn't do Physics which means that in my 'properties of matter' lectures at first, I often had no idea what was going on. But it's fine because the lecturer points you to a section of the Atkins book which you can read to build up your knowledge. And I find that once I go over my lecture notes and read the relevant material in the textbook, it all makes sense. So it's fine not to have done Physics before. :smile: It really isn't a problem at all. I also didn't do further maths.

Oh okay, thanks so much! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what were your subjects/grades at A level, and do you know anyone on your course who only took three A levels? Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Zaffre
Oh okay, thanks so much! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what were your subjects/grades at A level, and do you know anyone on your course who only took three A levels? Thanks again :smile:

3A*s and an A. My offer was 3A*s.
One of my friends from my tutorial group only did three A2s. So it's fine. If you do four A2s, Imperial may give you a four grade offer. I got a three grade offer because my fourth was English Literature.
Reply 149
when is the chemical engineering course deadline for ucas?
hey guys sweet thread and thanks to the OP and others for taking their time to answer questions
Couple of questions here :tongue:

What is something that you wish someone told you when you was applying/starting the course?
I'm currently on a gap year trying to arrange work experience ( not going so well) any advice?
What is some extra curricular activities that you can do to spice up your application?
What modules/basic concepts could i learn during my gap year that would make the first year/the course as a whole easier (bearing in mind i haven't done physics or further maths?
Reply 151
Original post by numanali
What's the best book for thermofluids and physical chemistry? BEng Hons Chem Eng!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atkins physical chemistry is the popular one. Not too sure about thermofluids though but we used Elliot&Lira Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics which was pretty good.
Hi guys
I'm entering my final year here at Imperial. If you guys have any questions regarding the course/Imperial feel free to ask!

Hey! Firstly Thanks a lot for helping out!

I am an international student and I have applied to Imperial for 2015 fro chemical engineering! I have a phone call interview after a couple of days and I dont know what to prepare...
Also some ppl say they r getting a skype interview.. but I have got a phone call... so is there any difference..

Also please please tel me what shld i study or prepare or what to expect!

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Hey, I'm doing my Maths exploration now, and I've decided to do it on e. I think it'd be nice to link it to the course I've applied for (Chem Eng) - are there any relatively straightforward uses of e in Chem Eng that you think I could use?
The course is very rigorous. The hard part is when the coursework kicks in. Lectures are usually only 3-5 hours a day and when there is no coursework (which happens only around 2 weeks per term) this is easy to handle. The coursework is hard and you often stay pretty late and work for the whole weekend as the deadline gets nearer and nearer.
Its not too bad though as you're usually in decent sized groups (6 ppl) and it can be quite fun to work together.

I'm an international student too. I haven't started applying for jobs yet as I'm doing a work placement and I could get offered a job at the end.
On the whole, the department has a pretty good % for the number of students that get a job after 6 months from graduation. I can't remember the figure but its high. Its a mix, some work in the UK others work back home.
There are companies where you can only apply if you are UK/EU citizen but the majority of the big companies (BP, Shell, Exxon) don't have any problems sponsoring international students for work visas.

This is what pretty much worried me about engineering before I took a gap year.
I mainly wanted to do engineering for the career prospects rather than out of interest. And since I was already struggling with maths and physics in my A levels (okay mostly due to depression/anxiety anyway), I decided that I should stop considering to study engineering because I would probably fail or drop out.

Do you think I dodged a bullet with this one?
Reply 155
Original post by Bude8
Hey, I'm doing my Maths exploration now, and I've decided to do it on e. I think it'd be nice to link it to the course I've applied for (Chem Eng) - are there any relatively straightforward uses of e in Chem Eng that you think I could use?

Well e appears in the solutions to second order ordinary differential equations which we use a lot in chem eng (heat transfer, reactions), so maybe you could write about that. To be honest, I don't see the point in doing that though because its not something that is very unique to chem eng. It appears loads in economics, natural sciences, engineering etc. It would be like talking about pi.
Reply 156
Original post by nsolma1
This is what pretty much worried me about engineering before I took a gap year.
I mainly wanted to do engineering for the career prospects rather than out of interest. And since I was already struggling with maths and physics in my A levels (okay mostly due to depression/anxiety anyway), I decided that I should stop considering to study engineering because I would probably fail or drop out.

Do you think I dodged a bullet with this one?

Career prospects as in joining a career outside of engineering e.g banking/consultancy?
Well engineering at uni is definitely a big step up from A-levels so if you struggle with those subjects I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by Shelock
when is the chemical engineering course deadline for ucas?

15th Jan, barring Oxbridge
Career prospects as in joining a career outside of engineering e.g banking/consultancy?
Well engineering at uni is definitely a big step up from A-levels so if you struggle with those subjects I wouldn't recommend it.

Yep, career prospects mainly because I keep hearing how engineers are in demand and stuff.
And also since it's a very numerical and analytical degree, banking would certainly welcome engineers with open arms.

To be honest, I am reading about the myth of STEM shortage though, it's especially bad in the US, where they bring in foreign H1B visa workers to work for less than US engineers.

They even make the US engineers train the H1B's, and then fire the US engineers. :frown:

I'm not sure about the UK, but I have read UK articles about it too.

Other than that, I struggled a lot with maths mostly in A levels, sometimes I absolutely hated maths.
Because at least with physics, you mostly have to remember facts, with maths, you have to remember facts and keep practicing your "maths skill" or it would deteriorate and you would start to struggle.

So really I can imagine that by doing engineering, I would have to keep doing maths, day in day out, as much as possible, so that I would fall behind.

I even heard once that the maths in engineering is like 2-3 times harder than in A level, is that true?
Aside from learning MATLAB and making sure I have a strong mathematic foundation, how else can I hit the ground running for my first year studying chemical engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending