The Student Room Group

Chem eng course - Leeds or Lancaster?

Hey, so im considering both of these unis, and I was wondering if anyone had an insight on the courses I’ve looked at modules and enjoyed both - they are pretty on par to me but I need something to differentiate them to make a final decision. So is there good support at both unis, are the lecturers good? I did also come across post that said Leeds was not good for the course and modules and the lecturers weren’t helpful but it was quite a few years ago that this was posted so I don’t if that is different now…

Anyway let me know! What do you guys think? I know you can’t make the decision for me but what would you do! I need to make a decision and I am torn.
Original post by s_ve
Hey, so im considering both of these unis, and I was wondering if anyone had an insight on the courses I’ve looked at modules and enjoyed both - they are pretty on par to me but I need something to differentiate them to make a final decision. So is there good support at both unis, are the lecturers good? I did also come across post that said Leeds was not good for the course and modules and the lecturers weren’t helpful but it was quite a few years ago that this was posted so I don’t if that is different now…

Anyway let me know! What do you guys think? I know you can’t make the decision for me but what would you do! I need to make a decision and I am torn.

Something to think about is how your modules are assessed I guess. I know in Lancaster you're assessed on all the modules at the end of the year which I would honestly detest. I'm currently at UoM and can barely handle the exams being split in the semester they're taught in. I definitely couldn't handle being assessed on two semesters worth of content at once.
I'm not sure about Leeds though.
Just food for thought I guess.
Original post by s_ve

Hi @s_ve!

I'm glad you're considering Lancaster University! I am a Mechanical Engineer, but I can give you an insight into Chemical Engineering and the sort of support you can find at Lancaster.
Lancaster has support that I have found many other universities lacking (and I'm trying not to be biased :smile:). We have a very good Academic Representative system where students can vote for a student in their cohort to represent them to the faculty members. They meet up with them once a semester, but most lecturers have an open door (or open Teams) policy. So you can generally turn up with a problem and they'll help you solve it pretty quickly. We also have office hours which is a dedicated hour the lecturer provides for each of their modules every week so students can come into their office, no appointment needed, and ask about the module.
I will admit, 90% of the lecturers go beyond in responding to queries, often answering a question you send to them at 2am immediately! While the rest of the lecturers do get back to you within 24 hours.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions about Lancaster please don't hesitate to ask!
- Amaani (FST Ambassador)
Original post by s_ve

Hi @s_ve,
One of my colleagues from engineering has already responded and i agree with everything she has said, but I am a 4th year Chemical Engineering student at Lancaster so I can offer a bit more of an insight to the course. For Chem Eng at Lancaster, all the lecturers are active researchers and will open up many opportunities for support and and extracurricular experience if you wish to partake in potential research projects or internships. Lecturers all have different research interests and there are topics within the energy sector, with both renewables and nuclear power, bioengineering such as the use of hydrogels for drug delivery, as well as equipment design of reactors etc to be more efficient in multiple applications.

You've already mentioned that you have looked at the modules in the course already so I won't go in to depth on that as I think the descriptions are quite good for them . At Lancaster the Chem Eng cohort is quite small compared to other Uni's meaning you get smaller classes and focussed contact time with lecturers for theoretical studies and technicians for practical aspects and the Chemical Engineering facilities are doubling this year with the completion of the new engineering building in the summer.

Lancaster is a good place to study Chem Eng, but as a student I would recommend using other factors like campus and local area to help make your decision since depending on which course you do, you could be spending 3/4 years of your life there. Anyway I hope this helps with your decision making and if you do have any questions about the Chem Eng course specifically at Lancaster, don't hesitate to get in touch.
Paddy - 4th Year Chemical Engineering Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest