The Student Room Group

A-level RE or Biology?

I am picking my fourth a-level subject and a reserve. In my situaton, its not important which subject i choose. I have narrowed it down to Philosophy & Ethics and Biology. I am currently at A/A* in both (GCSE). I enjoy both, but i don't know which one i should choose to do, and which one should be my reserve. Obviously i want to end with a good grade, so which one???
Don't do biology unless you love revising endless pages of information.
What other subjects are you doing? Do you have any idea what you might like to do in the future (degree/job)?
Original post by izpenguin
What other subjects are you doing? Do you have any idea what you might like to do in the future (degree/job)?

I am doing graphics, art and geography. I would like to have an online business (i don't want to do a-level business) selling things i design/make. Also, i don't plan to go to uni because its not neccassary, so whatever fourth subject i choose is just fill in the gap :tongue:
Original post by Lyons
I am doing graphics, art and geography. I would like to have an online business (i don't want to do a-level business) selling things i design/make. Also, i don't plan to go to uni because its not neccassary, so whatever fourth subject i choose is just fill in the gap :tongue:

Well I'm doing A2 biology right now and I think it is interesting, so much so that I am applying for a degree in it. The content isn't that hard to understand, but there is a lot of it so you must be prepared to spend a lot of time revising so only do it if you think you will enjoy it.
I don't know anything about philosophy & ethics.
I also do A2 Biology and I do love it! It is unfortunately a little bit of a Marmite situation except in terms of understanding- you either get it or you don't. Fortunately it is a very small number that struggle, and (I know this is certainly true for my board) you can always pick up easy marks in the exam for data analysis and calculations (we are talking GCSE level maths and saying what you see). It's pretty interesting as it explains quite a lot of how you work and why the world around you is like how it is. It also explains what scientists are working towards and where there are gaps in our knowledge. I'm pretty biased but I do think it's a brilliant option and (dare I say it) relatively straightforward most of the time.

I have friends who've done P&E and I do not envy their 3 hour exam... Or the essays... Then again I only really hear from them when they're complaining so I'm not sure it's the most balanced of opinions I hear!

Both are perfectly good options so whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it (as much as you can for A levels anyway!).
Reply 6
Am doing biology and use to do R.E A level. I say bio because you just need to remember facts and key points but in R.E its more essay type of course like my exam bored question was like 15 marks and 40 marks question. I still would of carried on but it took so much effort to do the work compared to biology hoped that helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest RE, Biology is hard to do well in if you don't have any interest in it because you'll hate revising/learning about it. RE was interesting for me. It depends on what you like and what you're willing to learn.
I'm doing Philo and Ethics and its very essay based but I think go for it over Bio!!!

Quick Reply

Latest