The Student Room Group

a-level biology in gap year ??

hi everyone,
you may have seen a thread already regarding diagnostic radiography and then doing a masters in ultrasounds/ sonography and not only that, i want to take biology a-level because i actually love challenging myself.
i do take psychology, sociology and rs as a private candidate too and will take exams in 2024.
i have really bad gcse grades due to being mentally ill and bullied etc (i never tried)
gcses 2020 year
english lang - 4
maths - 4
film - 4
drama - 3
science - 2-3
geography- 2
health and social - level 2 pass

college -
level 2 merit heatlh and socisl care
and i did really well as well considering i was still ill
now that ive got better, i have the urge to learn and i do want to work with ultrasounds/imaging
i did want to be a nurse originally but i think that i personally wouldn’t be able to be one. it is although a career i would go for if this doesnt work out.
i am also going to re take gcse science as it’s what i need for the entry requirements.
would i struggle to do thid with no prior experience of science? would it be a big risk?
should i just stick with nursing?
if i do take a-level bio , how would i go about it especially as i need to do practicals dont i?
i currently study with oxbridge home learning and will do again for biology for predicted grades

also, if i was to get BCC for example in my a levels next year would re taking them along biology look bad on my application? it’s just in case that happens and i want to get higher grades

i could also simply take these three a levels in 2025 and then start biology in June 2024 still? so then im not re taking? or does this look bad too?

i just want to stufy a level biology because i like learning and i know it’s veryyyy stressful but because im now mentally a little better, i am enjoying the process and being a sonographer is a better career for me and my mum agrees too.
i originally wanted to become either this or nursing when i was at college.
if i take bio , i will also be 21 in the july 2025 , meaning i would be a mature student right? so wouldn’t being a mature student be better?
bumppp
ps, im also taking driving lessons so if i was i could do work experience in the gap year too. what experience would be necessary?
all i have is carehome experience (130 hrs) which probably isn’t as helpful as it’s not really r
bump
then i have been looking into other options like access courses instead of a-level biology but which is more likely to be accepted? cos if i do an access course, im more likely to learn better in a real setting and also get a better reference etc.
however, which is more difficult because id have to manage that and gcse science? cos ik access courses are equivalent to 3 a-levels and a biology a-level is ofc just one a level but surely its difficult to study from june 2024 and complete exams in 2025 time

Quick Reply

Latest