The Student Room Group

unsure on what to do

I’m currently in year 12 sixth form studying A level english literature, sociology, politics. For a while I thought i wanted to go into primary school teaching however i’m not too sure anymore.

I have a GCSE in both maths and english, i did triple science however i did not pass any, I got a 3 in biology (5 marks away from passing). A 3 in physics, and a 2 in chemistry.

I was wondering if I could do an apprenticeship in paediatric (children’s nursing) if i resit biology, and resit year 12 and did a btech in health and social care instead
Reply 1
Original post by zcey
I’m currently in year 12 sixth form studying A level english literature, sociology, politics. For a while I thought i wanted to go into primary school teaching however i’m not too sure anymore.

I have a GCSE in both maths and english, i did triple science however i did not pass any, I got a 3 in biology (5 marks away from passing). A 3 in physics, and a 2 in chemistry.

I was wondering if I could do an apprenticeship in paediatric (children’s nursing) if i resit biology, and resit year 12 and did a btech in health and social care instead

It would be a wise idea to re-sit sciences GCSEs.
When I've searched for child nursing degree apprenticeships, not one of them mentions the need for GCSE sciences (just English and Maths at grade C/4+), and no specific A level/BTEC level 3 requirements. The A levels you're doing are fine, you may then just need to get a job in a healthcare setting to be eligible for certain degree apprenticeships.

As for the traditional route:

Some universities are specific about A level requirements, example here:
BNurs Children's Nursing - entry requirements (2024 entry) | The University of Manchester
"A-level -We require grades BBB (including at least one science from the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology, Health and Social Care, Applied Science)." - you're already working towards this as one of your subjects is sociology.
"GCSE: Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including: Five GCSES/iGCSES at Grade B or 6. These may include your English Language, Mathematics and Science if at Grade B or 6. English Language, Mathematics and Science are required at GCSE/iGCSE level with a minimum Grade of C or 4." - you'd need to re-sit sciences.

Some universities aren't specific about subjects, example here:
BN (Hons) Children's Nursing | Health and Social Care Courses | University of Chester
"GCE A Level 112 points from GCE A Levels. Typical offer BCC-BBC." - you're working towards this
"Extra Information / General Entry Requirements. Applicants must*have GCSE Grade C/Grade 4*or above in English and Maths or equivalent.*Applicants must also have evidence of*recent study within the last 5 years." - you already have this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending