The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by сталкер
I agree 100%. Part of geology means studying how we used to think the Earth worked. Any physicist that doesn't know about the plum-pudding model is clearly doing something wrong. The fact you're able to grasp difficult concepts and analyse them is what they're looking for. I'd recommend reading Supercontinent by Ted Nield. He describes the various theories of lost super-continents that "sunk" to explain the distribution of fossils (Lemuria, Atlantis and Mu are 3 that I remember from the top of my head).

Funny you should mention that! I literally just finished reading and would recommend it to anyone else looking for some further reading that is not too heavy.
Original post by alicerose2
Funny you should mention that! I literally just finished reading and would recommend it to anyone else looking for some further reading that is not too heavy.

It's really good, and the way it's written makes the concepts really clear to understand.
Also has anyone got an offer for an interview at Southampton? I just got it now and looks like I have to prepare a 5 minute informal presentation.
I've been invited to interview at Oxford! Didn't expect a response this early. Very exciting, even more terrifying.

Original post by сталкер
Also has anyone got an offer for an interview at Southampton? I just got it now and looks like I have to prepare a 5 minute informal presentation.

Well done, when is your interview?
Original post by сталкер
I agree 100%. Part of geology means studying how we used to think the Earth worked. Any physicist that doesn't know about the plum-pudding model is clearly doing something wrong. The fact you're able to grasp difficult concepts and analyse them is what they're looking for. I'd recommend reading Supercontinent by Ted Nield. He describes the various theories of lost super-continents that "sunk" to explain the distribution of fossils (Lemuria, Atlantis and Mu are 3 that I remember from the top of my head).

After all knowing why something cannot work is equally as important as knowing why something works. Who, knows, maybe even in our generation some theories would make an unexpected turn (I am still awaiting for the Rosetta mission to bring some information backing up the primordial soup!)
Original post by Chlorophile
I've been invited to interview at Oxford! Didn't expect a response this early. Very exciting, even more terrifying.

Well done, when is your interview?

Should be sometime in January/February, I haven't got a definitive date yet.
Original post by Citipati
After all knowing why something cannot work is equally as important as knowing why something works. Who, knows, maybe even in our generation some theories would make an unexpected turn (I am still awaiting for the Rosetta mission to bring some information backing up the primordial soup!)

I'm really hoping for some miraculous turnaround with Rosetta, I really want to see the results of the isotopic analysis.

Time will tell!

Well done! I got invited to interview at oxford too. I am very scared! Which college dod you apply for?
[QUOTE="alicerose2;51675081"]

Well done! I got invited to interview at oxford too. I am very scared! Which college dod you apply for?

Yay! St. Anne's. Which one did you apply to?
Which interviews? At least at Imperial, I'd say at least half of people took their parents with.

Ah that's great thank you
Original post by сталкер
Time will tell!

I'm really hoping for some miraculous turnaround with Rosetta, I really want to see the results of the isotopic analysis.

Word of the devil- organic substances found on the comet-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30097648

"the results are likely to provide insights into the possible role of comets in contributing some of the chemical building blocks to the primordial mix from which life evolved on the early Earth."
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="Chlorophile;51677911"]

Yay! St. Anne's. Which one did you apply to?

St Edmunds. I didn't really put much thought into which college I put down as I got told most people don't end up there anyway

Word of the devil- organic substances found on the comet-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30097648

"the results are likely to provide insights into the possible role of comets in contributing some of the chemical building blocks to the primordial mix from which life evolved on the early Earth."

As much as this excites me I'll be sceptical for a bit. It doesn't say what organic molecules were made so this could be anything from a simple alkane to a complicated amino acid.
[QUOTE="alicerose2;51680877"]

St Edmunds. I didn't really put much thought into which college I put down as I got told most people don't end up there anyway

Teddy Hall is the only Earth Sciences college I haven't seen!
[QUOTE="Chlorophile;51681327"]

Teddy Hall is the only Earth Sciences college I haven't seen!

Pretty cool, everybody just hangs out in an old graveyard and the library is a church which was exciting! I only looked round teddy hall and Univ. what is ST Annes like?

Pretty cool, everybody just hangs out in an old graveyard and the library is a church which was exciting! I only looked round teddy hall and Univ. what is ST Annes like?

St. Anne's is a modern college which is why I chose it. Very laid back with no old traditions which is just the way I like it!
Reply 237
any help regarding skype interview from imperial ese
plz help i have one coming up shortly
Got an offer from Imperial which is great! I went to Southampton on an applicant's visit/interview day and really didn't like it...
Reply 239
Got an offer from Imperial which is great! I went to Southampton on an applicant's visit/interview day and really didn't like it...

hey congrats
wat was the offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending