The Student Room Group

The Sun banned at The University of Worcester.

Poll

The Sun Banned at The Uni of Worcester

Scroll to see replies

What a ridiculous waste of time. Have their student union got nothing better to do than have petty arguments about newspapers that "might" cause offence to somebody.

Why don't they do something productive with their time?
Student unions being irrelevant since their conception.
My thoughts are LOL

Because while i looked at the empty Sun Tray on the link a big pizza shaped like a heart flew into the screen :P
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
What a ridiculous waste of time. Have their student union got nothing better to do than have petty arguments about newspapers that "might" cause offence to somebody.

Why don't they do something productive with their time?

You make an interesting argument.
Reply 5
As if the Tab is any better.

Banning a newspaper, even if it is the Sun, is sad and a sorry reflection of this generation's new found magnet to finding offense where there is little or none.
Reply 6
Original post by Evening
As if the Tab is any better.

Banning a newspaper, even if it is the Sun, is sad and a sorry reflection of this generation's new found magnet to finding offense where there is little or none.

What is wrong with The Sun and what is wrong with The Tab?
Fantastic news, the sooner this filthy rag is taken out of circulation the better. Why any person in receipt of a university education would even want to read such an inept, feeble attempt at ''journalism'' is beyond me.
No, The University of Worcester has not banned The Sun. The SU shop has stopped selling it. That is quite a flipping big difference...
Reply 9
Original post by sr90
Fantastic news, the sooner this filthy rag is taken out of circulation the better. Why any person in receipt of a university education would even want to read such an inept, feeble attempt at ''journalism'' is beyond me.

Why is that, what exactly makes The Sun feeble?
Reply 10
Original post by Zhukov
What is wrong with The Sun and what is wrong with The Tab?

The Tab deliberately tries to put a certain angle on things - twisting the truth for their own financial gain - whilst trying to maintain the visage that they're more intellectually challenging than other toilet rags like The Star. The amount of stuff they post about getting drunk/how much you eat on a nightout etc. is only enjoyable as a guilty pleasure, when the reality is its just tacky and pointless news.

The Sun is bigger and focuses on gossip columns as opposed to real news, and for feminists they're worse than Robin Thicke because they have page 3 (naked woman).

Both are rubbish imo.
Original post by sr90

True, I stick to the good old fashioned daily sport

Reply 12
Original post by Evening
The Tab deliberately tries to put a certain angle on things - twisting the truth for their own financial gain - whilst trying to maintain the visage that they're more intellectually challenging than other toilet rags like The Star. The amount of stuff they post about getting drunk/how much you eat on a nightout etc. is only enjoyable as a guilty pleasure, when the reality is its just tacky and pointless news.

The Sun is bigger and focuses on gossip columns as opposed to real news, and for feminists they're worse than Robin Thicke because they have page 3 (naked woman).

Both are rubbish imo.

Yet both have very high readerships. The Tab has the highest readership of any student news site and The Sun is the highest selling newspaper in the UK. So both are very successful.
Reply 13
Original post by hurricaneee
True, I stick to the good old fashioned daily sport

http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2014/02/15/the-l-word/
****ing hell, if showing the naked female form is "objectification" then there's simply nothing wrong with objectification.

Of course it's "empowerment" when women look at naked men.

Ffs not a lot pisses me off but this kind of thing definitely does.
Reply 15
Original post by KingStannis
****ing hell, if showing the naked female form is "objectification" then there's simply nothing wrong with objectification.

Of course it's "empowerment" when women look at naked men.

Ffs not a lot pisses me off but this kind of thing definitely does.

So would you say you disagree with the decision of Worcester's student union to ban The Sun?
Original post by Zhukov
So would you say you disagree with the decision of Worcester's student union to ban The Sun?

yes. And if I were a student there i'd actually buy a batch of the sun newspaper and in the dead of the night cover the student union with the papers and enjoy the ****sorm.

Coul you get kicked out for that? it; be harsh.
Reply 17
Original post by Fizzel
SU's are often the bastion of overly keen left leaning students. The authoritarian streak is pretty common.

My first reaction was what kind of a university has enough circulation to bother stocking The Sun? You'd hope the students are reading something a little bit more high brow than that.

Yes, that is true. http://tab.co.uk/2014/11/21/students-britain-rise-censorious-leaders/
Reply 18
Original post by Zhukov
Yet both have very high readerships. The Tab has the highest readership of any student news site and The Sun is the highest selling newspaper in the UK. So both are very successful.

Success doesn't equal quality.
Reply 19
Original post by Evening
Success doesn't equal quality.

You will concede that to run any successful newspaper requires some form of competence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending