The Student Room Group

Which graphic calculator?

My teachers suggested that we get graphics calculators and whilst I know that they're not necessary, it does seem like they could be useful in FP2 and I have got scholarship money that I can spend on it so I can definitely easily afford one.

I wouldn't have thought that I needed a particularly fancy model and I don't want to spend more money than necessary so the Casio 9750GII looked like a good choice, but it apparently doesn't have a natural display (it doesn't show surds and fractions etc) which I really don't like. On the other hand, the rest of the graphic calculators are very expensive (>£100) and have fancy features I don't need like a colour screen. Is there something in between?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
My teachers suggested that we get Graphics calculators and whilst I know that they're not necessary, it does seem like they could be useful in FP2 and I have got scholarship money that I can spend on it.

I wouldn't have thought that I needed a particularly fancy model and I don't want to spend more money than necessary so the Casio 9750GII looked like a good choice, but it apparently doesn't have a natural display (it doesn't show surds and fractions etc) which I really don't like. On the other hand, the rest of the graphic calculators are very expensive (>£100) and have fancy features I don't need like a colour screen. Is there something in between?

I think your teachers have given you very poor advice. Don't waste your scholarship money unless it can only be spent on a graphical calculator.
Original post by Mr M
I think your teachers have given you very poor advice. Don't waste your scholarship money unless it can only be spent on a graphical calculator.

But in our FP2 textbook there are some questions which ask you to sketch some complex functions which you definitely could work out but it would take some time, which isn't really what you want in an exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M

I do Maths Studies which is the lowest level maths in the IB, but for all IB maths levels, my school made the students buy the TI-Nspire cx texas instruments I paid about £80 and it is invaluable. The amount of things it does for me in studies, I can only imagine the help it gives in higher levels of maths!
But in our FP2 textbook there are some questions which ask you to sketch some complex functions which you definitely could work out but it would take some time, which isn't really what you want in an exam?

The questions in your textbook are irrelevant. You have a computer in front of you presumably? Bung the questions into WolframAlpha for free.
Original post by Mr M
The questions in your textbook are irrelevant. You have a computer in front of you presumably? Bung the questions into WolframAlpha for free.

So you won't be asked to sketch a function like y2=x2(Ax-1) in the FP2 exam?
So you won't be asked to sketch a function like y2=x2(Ax-1) in the FP2 exam?

How will a graphical calculator help you there? You don't know the value of A. Are you just going to try various values?

Edit: You'd be better off watching my y2=f(x)y^2=f(x) Powerpoint.
(edited 9 years ago)
My teachers suggested that we get graphics calculators and whilst I know that they're not necessary, it does seem like they could be useful in FP2 and I have got scholarship money that I can spend on it so I can definitely easily afford one.

I have the 9750GII, but there is an update that allows the calculator to use a natural display. I do find it really useful in FP2, so it can save time in lessons and frees.
Original post by Mr M
How will a graphical calculator help you there? You don't know the value of A. Are you just going to try various values?

The question was to sketch that curve when it passes through a particular point. Given the point, working out the value of A is obviously really easy, the hard part is sketching it once you have A.

Original post by H0PEL3SS
I have the 9750GII, but there is an update that allows the calculator to use a natural display. I do find it really useful in FP2, so it can save time in lessons and frees.

Really? I saw something like this but it was a kind of hack.
the hard part is sketching it

That's a matter of opinion. I knew what it looked like instantly.
Original post by Mr M
That's a matter of opinion. I knew what it looked like instantly.

Well I'm really pleased for you but you're also a Maths teacher. I didn't know what it would look like instantly and I honestly don't know how I'd work that out without generating lots of points.
My friend bought the FX-9750GII for £55 and he uses it in conjunction with the FX-991ES Plus (~£7) the cheap calculator does things like natural display etc., whereas his 9750 does all the hardcore graphical work.

Just to irritate him a bit, I bought myself the next model up: the FX-9860GII :wink: Cost me about £80 though, but it does come with a light-up screen! :biggrin: It handles the natural display well, too, and it's a slightly larger display.

I qualify for the level 2 bursary at school (£800/year), and I used it to buy this. Comes in very handy.
The question was to sketch that curve when it passes through a particular point. Given the point, working out the value of A is obviously really easy, the hard part is sketching it once you have A.

Really? I saw something like this but it was a kind of hack.

There are a few tutorials that help, but the alternative is to buy the next calculator up, which is much more expensive (~£70)
Well I'm really pleased for you but you're also a Maths teacher. I didn't know what it would look like instantly and I honestly don't know how I'd work that out without generating lots of points.

If you look back I offered to help. Perhaps you should wait to be taught the topic?

If I asked you to sketch y=x3y = x^3 I don't imagine you would need to reach for a calculator. This honestly isn't much harder.
Original post by Mr M
If you look back I offered to help. Perhaps you should wait to be taught the topic?

If I asked you to sketch y=x3y = x^3 I don't imagine you would need to reach for a calculator. This honestly isn't much harder.

How is it not much harder? y=x^3 is a standard equation. If there's a simple way of knowing how y^2=x^2(Ax-1) would look like, I'd be very interested in knowing because I genuinely don't...
How is it not much harder? y=x^3 is a standard equation. If there's a simple way of knowing how y^2=x^2(Ax-1) would look like, I'd be very interested in knowing because I genuinely don't...

Could you sketch y=x2(x1)y=x^2(x-1)? If so then you sketch this.
Original post by Mr M
Could you sketch y=x2(x1)y=x^2(x-1)? If so then you sketch this.

Well obviously that's not very difficult but you then have to root that. I don't see how you get from that graph to the actual one. I can't see any similarities.
Well obviously that's not very difficult but you then have to root that. I don't see how you get from that graph to the actual one. I can't see any similarities.

If you watch my Powerpoint (second time I have offered) it will tell you. It is simple to step from y = f(x) to y^2 = f(x). In this case anything with a negative y value is ignored so you just have a single positive branch. Reflect this in the x axis. Finished.
Original post by Mr M
If you watch my Powerpoint (second time I have offered) it will tell you. It is simple to step from y = f(x) to y^2 = f(x). In this case anything with a negative y value is ignored so you just have a single positive branch. Reflect this in the x axis. Finished.

I'd be very grateful to see the powerpoint - I didn't see your edit.
I'd be very grateful to see the powerpoint - I didn't see your edit.

PM me with an email address.

Quick Reply

Latest