The Student Room Group

Exeter or Nottingham for Economics?

Sup guys

Have unconditionals from both exeter and nottingham to study straight economics, and have not visited either place yet. Just wondering how they compare academically and in terms of the social/city life. I am from London and love the diversity, which may be a problem with exeter.

Please advise your opinions on both unis :biggrin:

Reply 1
Original post by timex
Sup guys

Have unconditionals from both exeter and nottingham to study straight economics, and have not visited either place yet. Just wondering how they compare academically and in terms of the social/city life. I am from London and love the diversity, which may be a problem with exeter.

Please advise your opinions on both unis :biggrin:

Firstly, Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

With regard to location, given you coming from London, and liking the bustling city and diversity, etc., then Nottingham without a doubt is a closer comparison to London than Exeter would ever be.

Have you visited both Exeter and Nottingham? What are your thoughts?

In regard to the course, everyone on this forum I'd argue would opt for Nottingham over Exeter in a heartbeat (although I sometimes wonder if Nottingham is overrated for its economics department, but anyway). Have you compared the modules on offer at both? Would you be equally happy with the courses?

Also, which career do you want to go for after you graduate? If you want to do an MSc, then I'd highly recommend opting for the more theoretical econometrics modules on offer at both Nottingham and Exeter (whichever university you attend).
Reply 2
Hey man, thanks for the reply and sorry for this very late one! Hope you had a nice Christmas and new year too!

I have visited Exeter and found it very quiet; although i am not a big clubber I still like getting out and seeing new things. I have looked at both courses and the modules seem fine- nottingham there is more flexibility i believe, but both equal in terms of maths?

Honestly no idea what career atm, i keep jumping from one thing to another.

Appreciate the reply though; which university are you at?

Also if anyone else could answer the question that would be great :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by timex
Hey man, thanks for the reply and sorry for this very late one! Hope you had a nice Christmas and new year too!

I have visited Exeter and found it very quiet; although i am not a big clubber I still like getting out and seeing new things. I have looked at both courses and the modules seem fine- nottingham there is more flexibility i believe, but both equal in terms of maths?

Honestly no idea what career atm, i keep jumping from one thing to another.

Appreciate the reply though; which university are you at?

Also if anyone else could answer the question that would be great :biggrin:

Hey

No worries about the late reply.

Based on your post, it seems like you instinctively prefer Nottingham because of the location and atmosphere.

I did my undergrad and postgrad at Southampton. I am currently working in investments although am looking to return to academia so am applying for PhD programmes.

As for your career, I wouldn’t worry too much. Neither is miles ahead of the other, and it will come down to your CV, your extra-curricular activities, etc. No one is going to say “I’ll employ you because you went to Nottingham over Exeter” or vice versa.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’d be keen to help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending