The Student Room Group

What university can I realistically aim for?

I'm in Year 12. I got 8877666654 at GCSE and am currently working at an A*AB level in Economics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. I know LSE, Oxbrige and Imperial are out of the question but I was wondering what universities I should be aiming for and what can I do to maximize my chances at getting in? I am eligible for contextual offer. I would like to do Economics.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ivanern
I'm in Year 12. I got 8877666654 at GCSE and am currently working at an A*AB level in Economics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. I know LSE, Oxbrige and Imperial are out of the question but I was wondering what universities I should be aiming for and what can I do to maximize my chances at getting in? I am eligible for contextual offer.

Degree subject ....?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Degree subject ....?

Economics
If you get the B prediction raised to an A then you have lots of options - basically anything except Cambridge/LSE/UCL (maybe Warwick without FM although in principle they state they will consider it). Those ones it's honestly more the lack of FM which is a barrier than anything else.

If you do end up with A*AB then you have a bit of a lopsided set of predictions which makes it a bit of a gamble in any case. You'd probably want to look at applying to AAA or AAB courses there with maybe a couple of A*AA ones, although note the A*AA and AAA courses are likely to give you an offer of A*AA or AAA respectively so you'd need to be realistically aiming to get the A in the last subject anyway. If you missed it then you may or may not be accepted by the firm choice and may well end up at your insurance choice (which would realistically probably be an AAB course).

Universities don't "average" your grades to consider A*AB = AAA when it comes to offers, but equally they will make offers to those predicted slightly below the standard offer as a "stretch" offer to see if you can exceed your predictions and achieve it.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
If you get the B prediction raised to an A then you have lots of options - basically anything except Cambridge/LSE/UCL (maybe Warwick without FM although in principle they state they will consider it). Those ones it's honestly more the lack of FM which is a barrier than anything else.

If you do end up with A*AB then you have a bit of a lopsided set of predictions which makes it a bit of a gamble in any case. You'd probably want to look at applying to AAA or AAB courses there with maybe a couple of A*AA ones, although note the A*AA and AAA courses are likely to give you an offer of A*AA or AAA respectively so you'd need to be realistically aiming to get the A in the last subject anyway. If you missed it then you may or may not be accepted by the firm choice and may well end up at your insurance choice (which would realistically probably be an AAB course).

Universities don't "average" your grades to consider A*AB = AAA when it comes to offers, but equally they will make offers to those predicted slightly below the standard offer as a "stretch" offer to see if you can exceed your predictions and achieve it.

I’m looking to finally get predicted A*A*A, I’m just trying to get my head round chemistry right now.
Reply 5
Original post by ivanern
I'm in Year 12. I got 8877666654 at GCSE and am currently working at an A*AB level in Economics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. I know LSE, Oxbrige and Imperial are out of the question but I was wondering what universities I should be aiming for and what can I do to maximize my chances at getting in? I am eligible for contextual offer. I would like to do Economics.

Exeter
Bath, Exeter, Durham, Lancaster, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton, Warwick, Birmingham, Loughborough, Nottingham. Get the highest grades you can.
Reply 7
Original post by ivanern

Cardiff uni, I have a contextual offer for economics at ABB and they typically want AAB
Original post by ivanern

helloooo congratulations on attaining those grades - you should be so happy! take a look here on the ucas websites for unis that will match your tariff points! then you cna look at the uni's own website and also check out what their contextual offer could be! Search - UCAS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending