The Student Room Group

uni choices help

hi! so im still in year 11 but tbh i've just been feeling anxious about ucas, unis, a-levels and all that typa stuff. i just wanna clear my head and plot things out a bit

the course i wanna do in uni is business
my a-levels : econ, business, politics

right now, two of my definite choices are warwick and manchester.

i've listed down a few others which are : ucl, kings, exeter, aston, durham, lancaster, nottingham and imperial.

still havent researched much about them , also, can anyone give me an opinion on this uni list? and any advice on some extras that could boost my applicaation? im sure unis dont want a boring person who studies alll day. thanks and any type of advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by gnmenali
hi! so im still in year 11 but tbh i've just been feeling anxious about ucas, unis, a-levels and all that typa stuff. i just wanna clear my head and plot things out a bit

i've listed down a few others which are : ucl, kings, exeter, aston, durham, lancaster, nottingham and imperial.

still havent researched much about them , also, can anyone give me an opinion on this uni list? and any advice on some extras that could boost my applicaation? im sure unis dont want a boring person who studies alll day. thanks and any type of advice is greatly appreciated!

It would be wise to check that your choices don't mind you having overlapping subjects, ie business and economics.

EDIT: You also need to research whether they offer the course you want to study, eg Imperial.
(edited 2 months ago)

The advice I would give is not to take Business and Economics together. A few and I think that maybe Warwick and Durham dont like the 2 together. Business is quite Mathematical and if you are good at it Maths would be a good option. a good choice would be Politics, Economics and Maths but only if you are good at Maths.

As far as universities are concerned it is very difficult to advise as what one person likes another dislikes. Attending open days will help you decide. Think how close or far away from home you want to be. This is very important if you attend going home for weekends although it might be better for you not to go home during the first term to allow you to settle.

Another issue is how big a city you want to live in and whether you want to be in a city university where you live in a city centre or on a campus. The other and perhaps most important thing is to check the courses and modules are what really interests you. They will differ according to the university.

The above are far more important than rankings or reputation which atr meaningless.

Warwick and Manchester are very different. Warwick is on a campus several miles outside Coventry whereas Manchester is in the middle of a very large city. You have 3 universities in London. You need to think about the practicalities of living there. The cost is far higher than elsewhere and it is very impersonal. Imperial doesnt offer business. It is a science based university. LSE offers business if you want to study in London

London based universities are very difficult to get to as so many overseas student want to go there and they are heavily over subscribed. 2/3 of the students in LSE afe from China or India leaving quite few places for others. Over 50% of UCL students are from overseas and it is not much difference for Kings. For these reasons and the risk of rejection it is unwise to apply for more than 2 London universities.

Exeter, Nottingham and Lancaster are fairly similar to Warwick as all are campus universities outside the city. Nottingham is a bigger city than the other 2. If you are looking at campus universities have a look at Bath. Be aware the cost of accommodation in Bath and Exeter is quite high. Durham is very different in that it is college based and the colleges are spread across the small city. That is something else to consider. Most of their halls of residence are catered which isnt the case elsewhere.

As far as what universities want it is students who can complete their course. Every university will have different types. Some will be sporty, others who wont. Some will be drinkers and other wont. It really doesnt matter whether you are the outgoing type or not. The university wont care.

As i have already said going to open days in year 12 will be very important and doing research online on each university will help. It is what is right for you that matters not anyone else as you are the person doing the course and living in the surroundings.
All of the above. And You need to wait to find out what your predicted grades are before shortlisting.
In the mix, you need to pick 2 aspirational and 2 safe options. This will allow you to spread your bets and give you offers to choose from. so I would rank them by grade requirements to see what combinations of options you can create out of the universities you like.

Hi there,

I am a 4th year integrated masters student in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. I would recommend looking at university websites and seeing if there any recommended or required subjects for business which should help reduce your stress over A-Levels.

Most people don't shortlist universities until they have some idea of what their predicted grades will be as you want a mix of grades in case anything goes wrong.

I personally love Lancaster because it is a campus university and feels like its own safe little community. However, if you want to study in the middle of big city one of the London options may be more suited to you. Also, I have found the cost of living to be more reasonable in Lancaster compared to some of the larger cities (based on my college friends experiences).

Please feel free to ask me any questions about Lancaster.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
I did both Economics and Business A-level and got into Econ at Durham (maths as my 3rd a-level). You'll need to look at what course you're studying since some will require you to have a certain grade in a certain subject eg A in Maths.
Unis like LSE will definitely prefer you have a mathematical background and that's where having econ and business together can disadvantage you. You can think of it as they'd rather give an offer to someone doing econ, maths and further maths rather than econ, business and maths. But I know plenty of people who did business and econ together and still got into RG unis
LSE do not like Economics and Business studies together. Only 6.6% who apply to LSE get in and over 1/2 of those are from China or India. Economics is their flagship course and the chances of getting in for that are lower stil. If anyone wants to have a chance they would best avoid Economics and Business students together and take Maths and FM. It is different for most other RG universities but worth checking each universities policy on overlapping subjects and Further Maths

Many of the undergraduate programmes at LSE are multi-disciplinary and for this reason we consider a broad mix of traditional subjects to be the best preparation for study. A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other. Please also refer to the subject combination guidance on our programme pages and the Mathematics and Further Mathematics section below.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending