The Student Room Group

Should we all face the fact non STEM subjects are inferior to STEM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieisit
Any A level students going on about Physics is maths should keep quiet. Physics is NOT mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you've studied both to degree level, how would you know?
edit: I'll tell you for sure in a few years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Get a life. Without non STEM subjects, we wouldn't appreciate Shakespeare, Dosteovsky, Nietzche, Da Vinci or Keynes/Friedmann. And these are just a few.
Original post by EconObsessed
Get a life. Without non STEM subjects, we wouldn't appreciate Shakespeare, Dosteovsky, Nietzche, Da Vinci or Keynes/Friedmann. And these are just a few.

And without STEM you wouldn't be typing up your rubbish on TSR!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by morgan8002
Unless you've studied both to degree level, how would you know?
edit: I'll tell you for sure in a few years.

My degree has Physics and Mathematics courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying that non-STEM subjects aid in the advancement of STEM subjects.
My degree has Physics and Mathematics courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you studying it currently or an applicant?
Original post by morgan8002
Are you studying it currently or an applicant?

Studying. Why would I talk down A level students if I was one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
And without STEM you wouldn't be typing up your rubbish on TSR!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so anyone who appreciates the contribution that non STEM subjects have made to humanity is talking rubbish are they? We got a genius over here.
Oh, so anyone who appreciates the contribution that non STEM subjects have made to humanity is talking rubbish are they? We got a genius over here.

No, you were talking rubbish. Telling people to get a life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't agree, but what i do know is that this hierarchy is created within schools, in my school anyway, we have one art classroom, one textiles and one cooking, it's a small corridor, then the humanities corridor is split into R.E. and sociology/psychology/GCSE and lower school stuff - the science corridor is the same size as that mixed one except all the classrooms are dedicated to science, it could be something to do with the popularity of the subjects, but again why? Because we've subconsciously told that STEM subjects are more clever and important than non STEM subjects. I personally am good at science subjects, have been throughout high school, GCSEs and now A levels i do well, but i have started to break out of this cycle that i need to do STEM subjects to be clever, and that's why i do History, and although Psychology is a science, many don't see it that way, so i guess it counts for that too - also it makes people who don't do these subjects seem stupid, but they're not, they're clever too, it's just that kids who don't try as hard in school gravitate towards those subjects a) because there's a lot more coursework on that side, but also because they think those are the 'doss' subjects
P.S. to the mathematics physics people
mathematics is the language through which you express something
and physics is how you understand the workings of the world through the language of mathematics :biggrin:
Original post by JustBeing
I don't agree, but what i do know is that this hierarchy is created within schools, in my school anyway, we have one art classroom, one textiles and one cooking, it's a small corridor, then the humanities corridor is split into R.E. and sociology/psychology/GCSE and lower school stuff - the science corridor is the same size as that mixed one except all the classrooms are dedicated to science, it could be something to do with the popularity of the subjects, but again why? Because we've subconsciously told that STEM subjects are more clever and important than non STEM subjects. I personally am good at science subjects, have been throughout high school, GCSEs and now A levels i do well, but i have started to break out of this cycle that i need to do STEM subjects to be clever, and that's why i do History, and although Psychology is a science, many don't see it that way, so i guess it counts for that too - also it makes people who don't do these subjects seem stupid, but they're not, they're clever too, it's just that kids who don't try as hard in school gravitate towards those subjects a) because there's a lot more coursework on that side, but also because they think those are the 'doss' subjects

Firstly, psychology is NOT a science. Social Sciences are NOT real sciences.

Anyway, not all people who do humanities or arts or social sciences are dumb or not competent to do STEM, some just prefer non-STEM nust because they like it more.

With that said, not because there are smart people doing non-STEM makes the work or the competence required to complete both equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, psychology is NOT a science. Social Sciences are NOT real sciences.

Anyway, not all people who do humanities or arts or social sciences are dumb or not competent to do STEM, some just prefer non-STEM nust because they like it more.

With that said, not because there are smart people doing non-STEM makes the work or the competence required to complete both equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it is described as the scientific study of the mind, and where sociology is BA at university, psychology is a BSc, however when sociology is done in combination with psychology then it's considered a BA, so there's both aspects of it.

But yeah i agree, i don't think people who do non-STEM are dumb, and ok i just think it depends on individual differences how difficult a subject is
Well, it is described as the scientific study of the mind, and where sociology is BA at university, psychology is a BSc, however when sociology is done in combination with psychology then it's considered a BA, so there's both aspects of it.

But yeah i agree, i don't think people who do non-STEM are dumb, and ok i just think it depends on individual differences how difficult a subject is

Neuroscience is the scientific equivalent to psychology.
Oh shut up with this stupid argument people are good at different things so it completely varies

I said, social sciences are not REAL sciences. They make large studies and then infer what they see fit to whatever they were studying, ignoring other pertinent variables and come out to say "Psychologists have found a correlation between short people snd depression"

That my friend, is not how science works. Social sciences have way too many variables to take into account to be compared to something like a physics or biological experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Yes they can be geniuses, in respect to their field. That is the pertinent information right there.

Numbers of revolution?

Newton revolutionised Mathematics, Physics, Engineering.

Shakespeare revolutionised language and poetry

Tolkien revolutionised high fantasy literature

Einstein revolutionised the understanding of large bodies (like planets)

What has Karl Marx revolutionised? Defining capitalism? Writing down what was before his eyes using jargon? Hardly a genius. And when this debate become about geniuses anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't really have an opinion on this thread as a whole but I suspect the poster may have been referring to the revolutions involving ....ya know... people... There have been one or two.
Original post by Shieldsy
Don't really have an opinion on this thread as a whole but I suspect the poster may have been referring to the revolutions involving ....ya know... people... There have been one or two.

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Yet another STEM versus non-STEM argument.
Would people just shush and get on with their GCSEs, A Levels or degrees? It depends on the person and how their brain is wired to work, not on difficulty at all.
Reply 99
P.S. to the mathematics physics people
mathematics is the language through which you express something
and physics is how you understand the workings of the world through the language of mathematics :biggrin:

Yes, but Maths is sexy. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest