The Student Room Group

How do i get a C in IGCSE English?

I need help :frown:
Original post by RDDT
I need help :frown:

What part are you struggling with? Analytical paragraphs? Analysing poetry? Creative writing? Exams? :smile:
Reply 2
could you help me? i have no idea on how to analyse poems, or what to do with the omam questions that i will get in my mock tomorrow!!!!!! any help would be awesome. thanks in advance
Original post by navb
could you help me? i have no idea on how to analyse poems, or what to do with the omam questions that i will get in my mock tomorrow!!!!!! any help would be awesome. thanks in advance

Poetry
Here is my general advice for analysing a poem initially:

Spoiler

Once you'd analysed the poem you would then have to write paragraphs on it. Here's an explanation of the structure I'd use to analyse poetry:

Spoiler

OMAM and prose
Depending on the exam board you're on, what you have to do in your exam will differ. If you're on AQA then I can give you some more particular advice.
In general however, you should use the same PETER structure that I previously explained, just for the techniques used in the novel. Some key things to consider for OMAM are:

Spoiler

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
i am doing aqa, and this is really helpful thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by navb
i am doing aqa, and this is really helpful thank you

So for your OMAM question, it will look a bit like this:

Spoiler

For part (a), you will be given an extract from the text. You then have to use quotes from the extract to answer the question (do not refer to the rest of the book). This will generally be about a particular character.

For part (b), you have to talk about context. You should refer to any parts of the book you decide necessary, writing PETER paragraphs about the context given and how it is presented.
Reply 6
Original post by Gingerbread101
So for your OMAM question, it will look a bit like this:

Spoiler

For part (a), you will be given an extract from the text. You then have to use quotes from the extract to answer the question (do not refer to the rest of the book). This will generally be about a particular character.

For part (b), you have to talk about context. You should refer to any parts of the book you decide necessary, writing PETER paragraphs about the context given and how it is presented.

thank you so much. you have literally saved me from getting a U
Original post by navb
thank you so much. you have literally saved me from getting a U

:h:
I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending