The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Foundation Year for any Uni

I am in Yr12 right now that's aspiring to study Computer science for university. My dream uni is Manchester as I just feel its an all rounding student but i requires all A* while I'm all A's predicted. I then found out about the foundation year option but I wasn't sure if it will sound bad on your degree as you you did a foundation year. I wanted to know what's your opinion on this and if it will affect by chances of getting jobs more slowly and harder.Also,I wanted to know all the downsides of choosing a foundation year.
Thanks
Original post by youmama
I am in Yr12 right now that's aspiring to study Computer science for university. My dream uni is Manchester as I just feel its an all rounding student but i requires all A* while I'm all A's predicted. I then found out about the foundation year option but I wasn't sure if it will sound bad on your degree as you you did a foundation year. I wanted to know what's your opinion on this and if it will affect by chances of getting jobs more slowly and harder.Also,I wanted to know all the downsides of choosing a foundation year.
Thanks

Doing a foundation year is not a "bad" thing, and won't mean much of anything once you graduate.

However, foundation years are normally designed for those who took the "wrong" subjects, rather than those who are studying relevant subjects but fail to get the necessary grades for the main course.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by youmama
Thanks

I don't think your final degree would show that you had taken an integrated foundation year as opposed to the 3-year direct BSc (Hons) course. So an employer is not going to know which pathway you had taken.

Our entry requirements vary depending on the subjects being taken at A level. Typically, we would be looking for:

Grades ABB where a student has 3 relevant subjects
Grades AAB where a student has 2 relevant subjects
Grades AAA where a student has 1 relevant subject
The subjects considered to be relevant are Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Electronics and Statistics. If you are unsure whether you would be considered with your qualifications/predictions, we would encourage you to contact us before making an application.

We require Grade B/6 in GCSE/iGCSE Mathematics (if not studied at A-level) and B/6 from one of Physics, Chemistry or Combined Science (if not studied at A-level)

We require at least Grade C/4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by youmama
Thanks

You need to spend an additional year, which may not be too worth it as you can spend that extra year in your career instead.
Original post by artful_lounger
Doing a foundation year is not a "bad" thing, and won't mean much of anything once you graduate.

However, foundation years are normally designed for those who took the "wrong" subjects, rather than those who are studying relevant subjects but fail to get the necessary grades for the main course.

You do need to spend an extra year, which may be a dealbreaker for some. Including myself.
Original post by justlearning1469
You need to spend an additional year, which may not be too worth it as you can spend that extra year in your career instead.

You do need to spend an extra year, which may be a dealbreaker for some. Including myself.

My school university advisor always tells us that adulthood is very long. One extra year is nothing, if it helps a student feel better about going to university and succeeds being in university, and graduates nicely. Just sharing.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
My school university advisor always tells us that adulthood is very long. One extra year is nothing, if it helps a student feel better about going to university and succeeds being in university, and graduate nicely. Just sharing.

If you can go directly to a strong uni, will do well there, and don't need the extra year, and you know you want to go to university this year, then why use another year?
If you can go directly to a strong uni, will do well there, and don't need the extra year, and you know you want to go to university this year, then why use another year?

If this applies to you, sure. But this isn't OP's question.

1 year in the grand scheme of things is trivial.
Original post by artful_lounger
1 year in the grand scheme of things is trivial.

Fair enough, although if you don't want to spend another year then don't. If you want to then you could
Original post by youmama
Thanks

im year 12 too and i want to go to manchester
Durham University also has a foundation year for many subjects including computer science, if this helps you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending