Maths
English language and literature
Biology
Chemistry
Ocr ict
Btec business
Law
R.E

And I just yesterday took my Real Ocr Cambridge national ict exam and it was ok not too easy not hard either.

And my business exam is on the 19th this month

But on Wednesday I was given the sixth form application forms and im stuck.

So I'm the oldest in my family and no one from my family has gotten into 6 form.

So at the moment
Excluding ict and business
I'll have the rest of the subject exams in summer
However I feel like Maths and chemistry will be my downfall

I suck in maths and I'm forced to take the higher aqa paper in summer because I am very good at English (top set)
However im 100% sure ill get below a C in maths in summer.
So if I do im intending on retaking maths during 6 form.

Chemistry I also find hard but I think with a lot of work I might pass it.

So back to my original question.

In 6 form at my school you can only pick 4 subjects
Know presuming I fail maths which I probably will.

One of the 3 subjects ill be studying in 6 form is maths.
So that leaves three

Know I have not the slightest idea of what I want as a career
Im interested in games yet I found computing extremely hard so that is why I ended up with Ocr ict and that is boring but a good subject.

So because I don't have any idea of what I want as a career in the future im confused as to what i should study in 6 form.
However this is what im leaning towards

Btec law
L3 diploma in business (equivalent to 2 A levels)
And maths at gcse level

Are these options good

I have heard that btecs are crap compared to A levels but I hate science and don't like English as something id do after Gcse.

So can someone please tell me if I have chosen good choices

In Btec business at the moment im doing pretty I have prepared for the exam I've memorised the book in terms of revision and I get Merits mostly on the coursework

And at gcse law I find it boring but I find the content and subject stuff easy to learn as well as I am regularly getting a B on exams for it
(edited 9 years ago)
Does the sixth form you're planning to go to have other subjects such as sociology or psychology that students may not have taken before?

I planned to go to go study chemistry, biology, English literature and English language. On the taster days I liked psychology much more so I took that instead of biology and within the first couple of weeks English language wasn't for me so I changed to geography.

I'm a year 13, a level student by the way so you can contact me if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophhFrog
Does the sixth form you're planning to go to have other subjects such as sociology or psychology that students may not have taken before?

I planned to go to go study chemistry, biology, English literature and English language. On the taster days I liked psychology much more so I took that instead of biology and within the first couple of weeks English language wasn't for me so I changed to geography.

I'm a year 13, a level student by the way so you can contact me if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the difference between As and L3?

What is the difference between a subsidiary diploma in business and a l3 diploma in business.

Are Btecs crap compared to A levels?

If I failed maths at Gcse but if I pass English can I resit maths during 6 form?

If so at what level
Original post by The Lonely don
What's the difference between As and L3?

What is the difference between a subsidiary diploma in business and a l3 diploma in business.

Are Btecs crap compared to A levels?

If I failed maths at Gcse but if I pass English can I resit maths during 6 form?

If so at what level

Level 3 qualifications are seen to be equivalent to a levels. In the same way that Btec level 2 and GCSE's are meant to be equivalent to each other.

It depends on the sixth form. Mine is a grammar school so if I wouldn't have passed they would've not let me study with them. My sisters sixth form, let's them retake GCSE's in English maths and science alongside their a levels.

Btecs are viewed by people not as highly as a levels. I take a levels and they are hard work, require homework and revision for the exams. My sister took 3 Btecs where you don't take exams and it's to do with passing work over the year to get your grade. She did one a level but found it too hard and the school told her not to carry on.

It's really up to you and what subjects you're planning on doing. Are you thinking of going to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Level 3 qualifications are seen to be equivalent to a levels. In the same way that Btec level 2 and GCSE's are meant to be equivalent to each other.

It depends on the sixth form. Mine is a grammar school so if I wouldn't have passed they would've not let me study with them. My sisters sixth form, let's them retake GCSE's in English maths and science alongside their a levels.

Btecs are viewed by people not as highly as a levels. I take a levels and they are hard work, require homework and revision for the exams. My sister took 3 Btecs where you don't take exams and it's to do with passing work over the year to get your grade. She did one a level but found it too hard and the school told her not to carry on.

It's really up to you and what subjects you're planning on doing. Are you thinking of going to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im thinking of choosing
AS LAW
AND retaking maths if I fail it at gcse

Yes I plan on going to university
But only for law, business and ict related subject
Perhaps have a look at any universities for the courses you could be interested in and see what subjects they want of you.

Just make sure you pick something you will enjoy more importantly though :smile: I went into sixth form thinking I was going to do biochemistry at degree level so took maths, chemistry, biology and English literature but after taster sessions and the first few weeks it wasn't for me so I changed!!

Safe to say that now I'm doing geography, psychology and English literature at a level. I dropped chemistry last year cause I didn't like it though it was my favourite subject as GCSE! I'm actually so much happier now and I've applied for uni doing something English literature related.

You're more likely to get a better grade doing something you enjoy rather than what the universities ask for though but it's a good idea as a guide. I know some law courses like you to have English too as it's quite an essay based course but if you hated english, don't do that!! :smile:

Hope what I'm saying makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps have a look at any universities for the courses you could be interested in and see what subjects they want of you.

Just make sure you pick something you will enjoy more importantly though :smile: I went into sixth form thinking I was going to do biochemistry at degree level so took maths, chemistry, biology and English literature but after taster sessions and the first few weeks it wasn't for me so I changed!!

Safe to say that now I'm doing geography, psychology and English literature at a level. I dropped chemistry last year cause I didn't like it though it was my favourite subject as GCSE! I'm actually so much happier now and I've applied for uni doing something English literature related.

You're more likely to get a better grade doing something you enjoy rather than what the universities ask for though but it's a good idea as a guide. I know some law courses like you to have English too as it's quite an essay based course but if you hated english, don't do that!! :smile:

Hope what I'm saying makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't hate English I don't like the language feature crap that is included
But my schools law at 6 form seems pretty cool.
Go for that then if you think you'll like it :biggrin:

When picking your other subjects just consider if you want to do something new, where your best GCSE grades come from and what you enjoy the most

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go for that then if you think you'll like it :biggrin:

When picking your other subjects just consider if you want to do something new, where your best GCSE grades come from and what you enjoy the most

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im going to choose

AS LAW

Im considering L3 Diploma in Ict but I don't know what that course offers?
Can you explain what it offers,
I know law is quite essay based.

I don't really know anything about ict mainly because I haven't done it myself. I'm guessing as it's a diploma, you'll be doing things as part of assignments to get your overall grade rather than just revising for an exam like you do at a level. I'm not really sure though. Maybe ask the place that you're thinking of going to or google the course,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know law is quite essay based.

I don't really know anything about ict mainly because I haven't done it myself. I'm guessing as it's a diploma, you'll be doing things as part of assignments to get your overall grade rather than just revising for an exam like you do at a level. I'm not really sure though. Maybe ask the place that you're thinking of going to or google the course,

Posted from TSR Mobile

L3 subsidiary diploma in ict at a level
That is what I'm thinking of doing in sixth form
I'm sorry I don't know much about it.

Could you research it? Maybe on this website there are pages to do with it or students that are doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry I don't know much about it.

Could you research it? Maybe on this website there are pages to do with it or students that are doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks for the help
With regards to my sisters comment on me taking an A level I just want to correct a few things. I did take Geography AS level but it wasn't because my school thought I should change or I found it too hard. I chose to change because of the fact that I didn't enjoy the course content as much as I thought.

If you need any information on BTEC courses let me know. Firstly, BTEC'S are as hard as A levels if not more so because you have to work towards tight deadlines which means extra workload everyday afterschool and at weekends. BTEC requires you to work hard everyday as you can't catch up on notes or teach yourself like you can in A level. If you don't pass a BTEC deadline or hand in on the date that is required you will fail.
Original post by Kirstyy56
With regards to my sisters comment on me taking an A level I just want to correct a few things. I did take Geography AS level but it wasn't because my school thought I should change or I found it too hard. I chose to change because of the fact that I didn't enjoy the course content as much as I thought.

If you need any information on BTEC courses let me know. Firstly, BTEC'S are as hard as A levels if not more so because you have to work towards tight deadlines which means extra workload everyday afterschool and at weekends. BTEC requires you to work hard everyday as you can't catch up on notes or teach yourself like you can in A level. If you don't pass a BTEC deadline or hand in on the date that is required you will fail.

Thank you very much for that.
I have handed in my application and hope I pass my Gcses
Thank you very much for that.
I have handed in my application and hope I pass my Gcses

You're welcome what subjects have u put down
Original post by Kirstyy56
You're welcome what subjects have u put down

As law
Btec business equivalent to two A levels

Also can you answer this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3137951&p=53557445#post53557445
(edited 9 years ago)
As law
Btec business equivalent to two A levels

Also can you answer this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3137951&p=53557445#post53557445

Cool I do business retail which is similar :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending