The Student Room Group

Living with a verbally @busive parent

I am 18 from the UK and live with my dad. Long story short, he verbally @buses me. I start uni this September and it's the perfect opportunity for me to leave and start living in uni accom. However, money is an issue. Not sure if maintenance loans will b enough to sustain me. When uni starts, I will work part time but would that be enough? What should I do?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Excuse me if anything I say sounds patronising, but I found myself in the same situation. I'll be leaving home this September for university too, and one thing to bear in mind is the accommodation you pick, as well as your dad's income. The maintenance loan amount you get will vary on your dad's income (and personal situation), and based on that you can decide what accommodation to choose. My mum's income isn't great, so I should be eligible for the maximum maintenance loan which is £9,978. Accommodation rent will vary depending on where you study, and the room you pick, but it should be between £120 - £150 per week, which should be manageable on the maintenance loan.
Reply 2
Original post by Abz3900
Excuse me if anything I say sounds patronising, but I found myself in the same situation. I'll be leaving home this September for university too, and one thing to bear in mind is the accommodation you pick, as well as your dad's income. The maintenance loan amount you get will vary on your dad's income (and personal situation), and based on that you can decide what accommodation to choose. My mum's income isn't great, so I should be eligible for the maximum maintenance loan which is £9,978. Accommodation rent will vary depending on where you study, and the room you pick, but it should be between £120 - £150 per week, which should be manageable on the maintenance loan.

No, you don't sound patronising at all! Thanks for responding. You know for maintenance loans, how much do you get each month? Also, as it is way after accom deadline, I am assuming I won't be able to find an available room. Do you think the university will help?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by meli77
No, you don't sound patronising at all! Thanks for responding. You know for maintenance loans, how much do you get each month? Also, as it is way after accom deadline, I am assuming I won't be able to find an available room. Do you think the university will help?

I think they pay the maintenance loan in instalments. That's what it said on my letter. If you haven't applied already, do so ASAP btw. I don't know if/how the university can help you with accommodation, but ask them anyway. I'm due to start this September too, and I'm just as unsure as you are. Any doubts though, just call them and see what they say.
Reply 4
Original post by Abz3900
I think they pay the maintenance loan in instalments. That's what it said on my letter. If you haven't applied already, do so ASAP btw. I don't know if/how the university can help you with accommodation, but ask them anyway. I'm due to start this September too, and I'm just as unsure as you are. Any doubts though, just call them and see what they say.

where can I apply for the maintenance loan? I logged in to my SFE account and I cant see the option anywhere.
Original post by meli77
where can I apply for the maintenance loan? I logged in to my SFE account and I cant see the option anywhere.

You should be able to see what you have applied for in the loan amount section when you are logged into your account. If you haven't applied for a maintenance loan, you should be able to request/change the amount. If you can't see how to do this, log in to your account during office hours and use the live chat function to get directions from SFE staff.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
You should be able to see what you have applied for in the loan amount section when you are logged into your account. If you haven't applied for a maintenance loan, you should be able to request/change the amount. If you can't see how to do this, log in to your account during office hours and use the live chat function to get directions from SFE staff.

Will do! Thank you so much!
Reply 7
I see you've already gotten good advice here, I just wanted to tack on that you should definitely check if your uni offers additional support like income-based bursaries or hardship funds (these typically apply to estranged students too)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending