The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni Press bans use of pork-related words to avoid offending Muslims and Jews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goobypls
Okay but still we should not be giving air time to these weirdos and their ideas

I believe this concerns freedom of expression and publication, and it's potentially impactful as the OUP is the biggest university press, and a department under the most famous university in the world.
Original post by Harvey Dent
Because when was the last time Jews shot up a publishing house?

It doesn't matter they should be included in the title because technically this makes the title misleading.

They bombed a UN school instead though which is worse.
Original post by clh_hilary
I believe this concerns freedom of expression and publication, and it's potentially impactful as the OUP is the biggest university press, and a department under the most famous university in the world.

As long as no one makes a massive meal out something which is nothing then i guess it won't pose too much of a problem .
It doesn't matter they should be included in the title because technically this makes the title misleading.

I don't think that comparing the atrocities committed (by both sides) in the Israel/Palestinian conflict with an attack on an institution in a civilised western country is a fair one, do you?
Muslims cannot eat pigs but having a room full of peppa pig toys and spending every moment of their free time in peppa pig world and eating (vegeterian friendly) bacon flavoured crisps is not a sin! I wish ignorant non-muslims would wake up to the fact that Islam and the billions of muslims worldwide are the new 'hate target' of the world for many politically, money motivated reasons that many fail to comprehend. Eating a whole pig in front of a Muslim will not offend them, asking them if they want to babysit your micro pig whilst you go on holiday also won't offend them...at least when you get back you know that little micro porky is still gona be in one piece!
This oxford university press thing about not mentioning pigs, is just a further way to exclude and alienate Muslims and show the average Joe how 'different' they are, when they are nothing of the sort. This divisive behaviour is coming from non-Muslims not Muslims. Many here are students...go talk to your Muslim peers, befriend them and see how little the differences between you are. Make an effort to stick to fingers up to those with hate agendas (including these evil terrorists daring to commit acts of pure hate in the name of religion) and join together, be friends regardless of religion, colour, race...don't become prejudiced racist backward bigots. Its 2015 for God's sake!
Original post by Ciel.
"The largest university press in the world has warned its authors not to mention pigs or pork or anything else which could be perceived as pork in their books to avoid offending Muslims and Jews."

What a joke. Any thoughts on that?

Yezidis refuse to eat lettuce, pumpkins, and gazelles: OUP take note.
Reply 46

Get over it, it's not really misleading, the rest is in the first sentence of my post.
Original post by pinkglitterx
Muslims cannot eat pigs but having a room full of peppa pig toys and spending every moment of their free time in peppa pig world and eating (vegeterian friendly) bacon flavoured crisps is not a sin! I wish ignorant non-muslims would wake up to the fact that Islam and the billions of muslims worldwide are the new 'hate target' of the world for many politically, money motivated reasons that many fail to comprehend. Eating a whole pig in front of a Muslim will not offend them, asking them if they want to babysit your micro pig whilst you go on holiday also won't offend them...at least when you get back you know that little micro porky is still gona be in one piece!
This oxford university press thing about not mentioning pigs, is just a further way to exclude and alienate Muslims and show the average Joe how 'different' they are, when they are nothing of the sort. This divisive behaviour is coming from non-Muslims not Muslims. Many here are students...go talk to your Muslim peers, befriend them and see how little the differences between you are. Make an effort to stick to fingers up to those with hate agendas (including these evil terrorists daring to commit acts of pure hate in the name of religion) and join together, be friends regardless of religion, colour, race...don't become prejudiced racist backward bigots. Its 2015 for God's sake!

I applaud your post! :yy: You're so right about people need to get to know Muslims before making a judgement about them. Like I said before, I'm a Muslim and the majority of my friends aren't, we get on like a house on fire regardless. However, when I meet people who come from less diverse parts of England and aren't familiar with Muslims, I feel as though they think I'm an alien. Idk I feel like they think I'm not normal, that I don't tell cheesy jokes or watch nerdy TV shows or that I don't read books or like playing board games (sounds stupid I know). Of course that's probably not really what they think so I still try and make conversation with them so they know we're more similar than different. Having said that, I also know some Muslims who are less willing to interact with non-Muslims so both groups are equally guilty. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Political Correctness is becomming the new fascism. In fact, it already is.
Religions are now the laws? Now I can't use the word... pig or pork?

Then can I use the synonyms such as swine,grunter,or porc?

Goodbye... pig. Bye... pork..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess the terrorists have achieved their target.
Original post by Quantex
Sounds really over the top. How many Muslims are really offended? The Muslims I know seem to have their own set of bacon themed in jokes.

Completely ridiculous. No Muslim is offended and it just makes the problem they are trying to solve even worse by more people blaming Muslims for everything wrong.
Can't they bind the books with pig leather to stop Muslims from reading the content. That way they can't be offended.
Cowards. I'm gonna go eat some pork in protest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry but why did they even add Jews into the text? It's not even in the title. They clearly put a reference to Jews in to pretend like they're not just doing it to appease Muslim extremists.
This is a dog whistle story to get people foaming at the mouth.

What has been omitted, I suspect deliberately, is any details of this children's book.

I have little doubt that that this is because it is textbook or reading scheme book primarily intended for sale overseas.

The OUP, although owned by Oxford, is a business.

Does anyone seriously expect them to harm their sales of books by including matter which may be offensive to some parents?

For example would anyone seriously expect this book

http://www.oup.com.pk/shopexd.asp?id=3578

published by OUP Pakistan to include a bacon sandwich.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending