The Student Room Group

How to integrate cos^2 (4x)-c4

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James Cameron
Well i don't have a formula book on me right now, would the formula you're talking about be sin(a+b)=sinacosb+sinbcosa

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/FORMULAE.PDF
Well i don't have a formula book on me right now, would the formula you're talking about be sin(a+b)=sinacosb+sinbcosa

Use sinA + cosB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

Make simultaneous equations to find A and B and then it's simple to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm absolutely baffled brother, could you guide me through the first step, if you don't mind
I'm absolutely baffled brother, could you guide me through the first step, if you don't mind

^^^^^Look above^^^^^^
Original post by powelsmartin
Use sinA + cosB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

Make simultaneous equations to find A and B and then it's simple to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sin A + COS B , are you sure?
Original post by zetamcfc
Sin A + COS B , are you sure?

Not really, that's from memory :wink: you should double check the formula booklet, apologies if it's wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some expensive wine that someone has given to me from dubaii and a box of Swiss chocolates
SinA +SinB = 2(Sin((A+B)/2)*Cos((A+B)/2))
A+B=8 A-B=6
A+B=8 A-B=6

Right, it's sinA + sinB, sorry! I seem to be failing this thread :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A+B=8 A-B=6

Tried this for quite a while and it makes no sense to me :frown:, could you please post the first part of this solution so I can figure out the rest
Tried this for quite a while and it makes no sense to me :frown:, could you please post the first part of this solution so I can figure out the rest

So you get that A = 7x and B = 1x (by solving the simultaneous equations (A+B)/2 = 4x and (A-B)/2 = 6x)
Then you substitute your values for A and B and the expression becomes sin1x + sin7x and you integrate that

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you get that A = 7x and B = 1x (by solving the simultaneous equations (A+B)/2 = 4x and (A-B)/2 = 6x)
Then you substitute your values for A and B and the expression becomes sin1x + sin7x and you integrate that

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems wrong, i was never taught any of that in school
is the answer -cosx -1/7cos7x
That seems wrong, i was never taught any of that in school

Oh yeah you got to divide the final thing by 2, sorry!

Have you used the identity SinA + SinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)?

Basically you equate the right hand side with your original expression so (A+B)/2 is 4x and (A-B)/2 is 3x and you find the values of A and B.

Since your original expression doesn't have the 2 in front, you have to halve the final answer (which I accidentally forgot to do).

That's the thing with A2 maths - they expect you to connect different parts of the syllabus even if you haven't done it explicitly before

Posted from TSR Mobile
is the answer -cosx -1/7cos7x

So if you take into account my previous message outlining my mistake it would be -(1/2)cosx - (1/14)cos7x + c. Never forget the + c.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah you got to divide the final thing by 2, sorry!

Have you used the identity SinA + SinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)?

Basically you equate the right hand side with your original expression so (A+B)/2 is 4x and (A-B)/2 is 3x and you find the values of A and B.

Since your original expression doesn't have the 2 in front, you have to halve the final answer (which I accidentally forgot to do).

That's the thing with A2 maths - they expect you to connect different parts of the syllabus even if you haven't done it explicitly before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man, you've been incredibly helpful, i completely get it now
Thanks man, you've been incredibly helpful, i completely get it now

Cheers, I'm glad I could help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest