The Student Room Group

Manchester vs. Southampton in EEE

Hi guys, I got offers from both Manchester and southampton on EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) and I have a big problem choosing my firs choice in UCAS. Both of the unis are great. I've been to Southampton on a visit day and I was impressed with it. Is it the same in Manchester?

Also I'm looking for opinions about satisfaction from the course and how good the teaching is and general opinions about the unis (in EEE of course:smile:)

Please HELP!!!

Edit:
If not about EEE than maby about EE or something connected?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smoq
Hi guys, I got offers from both Manchester and southampton on EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) and I have a big problem choosing my firs choice in UCAS. Both of the unis are great. I've been to Southampton on a visit day and I was impressed with it. Is it the same in Manchester?

Also I'm looking for opinions about satisfaction from the course and how good the teaching is and general opinions about the unis (in EEE of course:smile:)

Please HELP!!!

I think it will be difficult for you to find many people doing EEE on this website due to the fact that it is a relatively specific subject choice and you haven't got that many possible people to choose from.

although I myself dont know about the EEE course I can say that Manchester is a better university on the whole. It's reputation, nightlife and from what I have heard is held in very high esteem.

Although Southampton is one of the few Universities that I don't have any friends from, from stuff I have seen online Manchester superseeds Southampton.
I've applied for electronic engineering at Surrey, among others, although not Southampton, and physics rather than ee at Manchester. But I would say that from the league tables I've seen, after Surrey Southampton ranks highest. That said, since Manchester is such a large uni, there will almost always be the opportunity to work on some fairly unique project or research because chances are there will be a professor interested in it. On the whole, any department in the top 15 is a very good place to study, and it comes down to how much you like the look of the university and local area. I haven't been to Southampton so I can't compare, but I had an interview for physics at Manchester the other day and the university on the whole is really nice, if you are OK with living in a big city then it has a lot to offer. I also saw the electronic and electrical engineering at Manchester at the open day and really liked the attitude, the staff, the research they were doing. Personally I preferred Surrey because of the space technology there, and so didn't apply to Manchester for ee. But they're all great really, go with your personal likes and dislikes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Southampton is better than Manchester for EEE. It is basically top in the country, although different ranking systems say different things. Top 3 is often Southampton, Imperial and Surrey. I had offers to go to both Manchester and Southampton last year and chose Southampton, the course is harder to get onto and companies literally beg for So'ton EEE graduates!
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Southampton is better than Manchester for EEE. It is basically top in the country, although different ranking systems say different things. Top 3 is often Southampton, Imperial and Surrey. I had offers to go to both Manchester and Southampton last year and chose Southampton, the course is harder to get onto and companies literally beg for So'ton EEE graduates!

What's the Southampton campus like during term time? It was so empty when I went there on a Year 12 Summer School so I couldn't really get a feel of what it's like.
Do people go in the city much or do they mostly stay on campus, and what's the nightlife like? :smile:
Original post by OhRickiursofine
What's the Southampton campus like during term time? It was so empty when I went there on a Year 12 Summer School so I couldn't really get a feel of what it's like.
Do people go in the city much or do they mostly stay on campus, and what's the nightlife like? :smile:

During term time it's really busy! People go to the city quite often to go to West Quay shopping centre, or to some of the clubs that are in central Southampton, but obviously that depends on your reason to go to the city... EEE students won't have any lectures off campus if that's what you're worried about. Nightlife is amazing here, although probably not as good as Manchester since they've apparently got the best nightlife in the country outside of London (which isn't surprising, it's a huge city with 3 universities!)
During term time it's really busy! People go to the city quite often to go to West Quay shopping centre, or to some of the clubs that are in central Southampton, but obviously that depends on your reason to go to the city... EEE students won't have any lectures off campus if that's what you're worried about. Nightlife is amazing here, although probably not as good as Manchester since they've apparently got the best nightlife in the country outside of London (which isn't surprising, it's a huge city with 3 universities!)

Thanks for your reply, how have you found the EEE course so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Smoq

Please HELP!!!

Edit:

to be honest I think Manchester is better than Southampton if you don't mind going to the north. I think it s important to consider the ranking of the university world wide and from that prospective I would surely say Manchester is better ,I have been to Southampton for a visit day , it was impressive although I think they have just started to get more serious whereas Manchester has been a recognised uni for long time, Also from their entry requirements you can realize that Manchester has higher than the other one
Original post by OhRickiursofine
Thanks for your reply, how have you found the EEE course so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've loved it!! We do loads of labs which is really effective in teaching us things, not to mention really interesting! Some of the theory I don't enjoy (what are the chances of loving everything though...). The bad thing is that I'd probably say it's the hardest course at the uni. My medic friends agree that we EEE students have more work than them! But if you enjoy it then it doesn't seem too bad. Still plenty of time to go out and play sports etc!

Original post by Salar1373
to be honest I think Manchester is better than Southampton if you don't mind going to the north. I think it s important to consider the ranking of the university world wide and from that prospective I would surely say Manchester is better ,I have been to Southampton for a visit day , it was impressive although I think they have just started to get more serious whereas Manchester has been a recognised uni for long time, Also from their entry requirements you can realize that Manchester has higher than the other one

Southampton's ECS department is brilliant, the uni may not be as old as Manchester's but that's not nearly as important as the reputation of the department... Employers would obviously first look at the course rep, not the overall uni rep. Also Southampton's MEng Electronic Engineering programme, my course, required A*AA whereas the same course at Manchester requires AAA so I don't know what you're talking about regarding your last comment. Sources below:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/08586/electronic-engineering-4-years-meng/

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/h603-meng-electronic-engineering-4-yrs#entry
Reply 9
I've loved it!! We do loads of labs which is really effective in teaching us things, not to mention really interesting! Some of the theory I don't enjoy (what are the chances of loving everything though...). The bad thing is that I'd probably say it's the hardest course at the uni. My medic friends agree that we EEE students have more work than them! But if you enjoy it then it doesn't seem too bad. Still plenty of time to go out and play sports etc!

Southampton's ECS department is brilliant, the uni may not be as old as Manchester's but that's not nearly as important as the reputation of the department... Employers would obviously first look at the course rep, not the overall uni rep. Also Southampton's MEng Electronic Engineering programme, my course, required A*AA whereas the same course at Manchester requires AAA so I don't know what you're talking about regarding your last comment. Sources below:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/08586/electronic-engineering-4-years-meng/

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/h603-meng-electronic-engineering-4-yrs#entry

well surely they have made it harder than a year ago or two years ago ,as I remember that it used to be 3 As for Southampton , in regards to subject ranking I would refer you to the links below which is the worldwide ranking ,As you can see Manchester is among top 50 whereas the other one is not. BTw as I said earlier I didn't say Southampton is bad but "comparing" to Manchester I would say Manchester is better. anyway I m not studying at Manchester myself so my opinion is objective.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/subject-ranking/subject/engineering-and-IT
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/engineering-electrical-electronic#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
Original post by Salar1373
well surely they have made it harder than a year ago or two years ago ,as I remember that it used to be 3 As for Southampton , in regards to subject ranking I would refer you to the links below which is the worldwide ranking ,As you can see Manchester is among top 50 whereas the other one is not. BTw as I said earlier I didn't say Southampton is bad but "comparing" to Manchester I would say Manchester is better. anyway I m not studying at Manchester myself so my opinion is objective.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/subject-ranking/subject/engineering-and-IT
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/engineering-electrical-electronic#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

World rankings are basically just based on reputation... Talk to employers about where they go to hire electronic engineers and you'll be hearing of Southampton a great deal. Both universities are great, OP will enjoy both
Original post by Smoq

Please HELP!!!

Edit:

lol jsut realised this was last year, anyone posted in case if anyoneelse wanted.
OP where did u choose in the end?

Spoiler

I just came across this in an unrelated search. I studied Physics BSc at Southampton then stayed on to do a Microelectronics System Design MSc in the ECS Department. At the time (1997) it was the best department in the UK and 3rd best in the world after MIT and Stanford, but I'm not sure where it is now. It was also the oldest electronics department in the UK having formed in 1947. For the 50th anniversary we had some very esteemed guests presenting, including Maurice Wilkes and the guy who headed up the (at the time recent) Pentium project at Intel, who iirc was a previous graduate.We also had companies come to us to try to recruit us directly from the MSc, which at the time was unheard of in other subjects. Although the nightlife was rubbish at the time, it's likely to be different now. In summary if I had my time again, I'd study there, only would choose an AI related degree.
Reply 13
Original post by mark_wales
I just came across this in an unrelated search. I studied Physics BSc at Southampton then stayed on to do a Microelectronics System Design MSc in the ECS Department. At the time (1997) it was the best department in the UK and 3rd best in the world after MIT and Stanford, but I'm not sure where it is now. It was also the oldest electronics department in the UK having formed in 1947. For the 50th anniversary we had some very esteemed guests presenting, including Maurice Wilkes and the guy who headed up the (at the time recent) Pentium project at Intel, who iirc was a previous graduate.We also had companies come to us to try to recruit us directly from the MSc, which at the time was unheard of in other subjects. Although the nightlife was rubbish at the time, it's likely to be different now. In summary if I had my time again, I'd study there, only would choose an AI related degree.

I suspect that, 4 years on, the OP has made a decision by now. :wink:

I'm closing the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest