The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography

Anyone need help with AS Geography? Very bored and willing to help haha:smile:
Im doing the Edexcel course and have a mock tomorrow... Would really appreciate your help!
Reply 2
Original post by theherbalturtle
Im doing the Edexcel course and have a mock tomorrow... Would really appreciate your help!

Sure! What's the problem?:smile:
just not too sure how to answer a 10/15 mark question on the role of different players on a rebranding strategy
Original post by DaveUncle
Anyone need help with AS Geography? Very bored and willing to help haha:smile:

How to determine the NEED for a rebrand in an urban or rural area? e.g Birmingham

help
Reply 5
Original post by theherbalturtle
just not too sure how to answer a 10/15 mark question on the role of different players on a rebranding strategy

Ah I found players hard to get my head around to begin with.

Basically depending on what the question asks you should always give quite a wide range of players... So you could go from the actions of individuals sometimes all the way to National Government actions.

So you could have at the very bottom people who give money to charity to help build a new housing complex, and then above them the actual charity and local councils etc.

And then you can talk about rebranding/regenerative NGOs like Urban Splash who are directly involved in helping places out.

I feel like I've explained that badly...
Reply 6
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
How to determine the NEED for a rebrand in an urban or rural area? e.g Birmingham

help

Sorry only just saw this! You can look at data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) which shows all kind of useful stuff like crime rates, employment, average wage etc. That's one way to carry out secondary research

Another option you could discuss in the exam is primary research aka fieldwork. You don't need to go on fieldwork obviously, you can just make up stuff you'd do if you did. This is like surveys asking stuff that may indicate deprivation. So you could ask people in Birmingham City Centre what they think of the city, how they'd rate it out of 10 for example. You could even show them photos of different areas of Birmingham and say if they think it looks good or bad.

Then there's other stuff like looking out for signs of crime like graffiti or broken/boarded up windows. You can carry out Environment Quality Assessments by looking at the amount of litter, how much or how little green space there is, etc.

Hope this has been useful!
Reply 7
Could you give me help on structuring 10/15 mark questions? Just how to write answers, a checklist of what I need to include or however you can help. I'm generally okay with the knowledge, it's just I struggle getting it down in the long answer questions.
Thanks very much.
Reply 8
Original post by jadryden
Could you give me help on structuring 10/15 mark questions? Just how to write answers, a checklist of what I need to include or however you can help. I'm generally okay with the knowledge, it's just I struggle getting it down in the long answer questions.
Thanks very much.

It very much depends on the question! For example if you get a question about population demographics of the UK between like 1940-present (like I did in the exam) I'd structure it in different time periods eg influx of Caribbean/Indian people following WWII, all the way up to increased numbers of Eastern Europeans since several countries joined the EU in 2004, and you could even mention the recent Romanian migration.

Another potential question could be about the impacts of climate change on a named area (usually either the Arctic Circle of Africa) and here I'd structure it in terms of impacts on different parts of society, so you'd have a paragraph on economic impacts, social, environmental, even cultural, etc.

In general just make sure group together similar factors/impacts/causes etc and you should be fine. Try to avoid just sticking in random bits of info where it doesn't fit. A lucky 10 marker would be something like "Describe and explain the natural and anthropogenic causes of climate change"... Here you'd very simply just do a paragraph for each and maybe a conclusion.

Hope this is of some help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending