The Student Room Group

Reading Around Your Degree? Maths!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TVIO
Especially considering they don't even always give STEP offers to their mathmos. I haven't been able to come up with a better reason than 'don't insure us'

They always give STEP to mathmos. I've never heard of mathmo with no STEP unless they've already done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Noble.
As far as I know you only get a non-STEP offer for maths at Imperial now if you do alright in the MAT.

Ah ok. They can't claim the reason 'oh we need to see if you're good enough by setting you STEP' as a lot of people DON'T have STEP offers. Ugh hate them.
Oh sorry just read previous posts. I thought you were talking about Cambridge. Only reason they give out A*A*A ones to top mat scorers cause they know they prob got offers from oxbridge. And if its cambridge half of mathmos miss step offers and end up at insurance which would be imperial for A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO
Ah ok. They can't claim the reason 'oh we need to see if you're good enough by setting you STEP' as a lot of people DON'T have STEP offers. Ugh hate them.

Tbh for imperial its all just a firm insurance game. If we meet our Cambridge offers we shall be fine haha! F**k imperial. They havent replied to me yet!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by physicsmaths
Tbh for imperial its all just a firm insurance game. If we meet our Cambridge offers we shall be fine haha! F**k imperial. They havent replied to me yet!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah f*** 'em. We got offers from the best place so no worries :cool:
Reply 45
Oh sorry just read previous posts. I thought you were talking about Cambridge. Only reason they give out A*A*A ones to top mat scorers cause they know they prob got offers from oxbridge. And if its cambridge half of mathmos miss step offers and end up at insurance which would be imperial for A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even think you need a top MAT score to get a non-STEP offer from Imperial. Wasn't there someone on the MAT thread that got an offer with a score of 50-60?
Original post by Noble.
I don't even think you need a top MAT score to get a non-STEP offer from Imperial. Wasn't there someone on the MAT thread that got an offer with a score of 50-60?

I dont think so. Doubt it. Most of them have scores of 70+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I dont think so. Doubt it. Most of them have scores of 70+.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2841009&page=81&p=53260937#post53260937

That's the post I was referring to.

I think oxford use it more to shortlist then guve offers. That can be seen by 1/5 of people with 90-100 getting rejected 😁. I have no idea how imperial use it. They are just weird. Who gives a **** lets go Cambridge 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TVIO
Yeah f*** 'em. We got offers from the best place so no worries :cool:

Yh we shall aim for SS in step 😳 lol. We can do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I think oxford use it more to shortlist then guve offers. That can be seen by 1/5 of people with 90-100 getting rejected 😁. I have no idea how imperial use it. They are just weird. Who gives a **** lets go Cambridge 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, how Imperial conduct admissions for maths has always been a bit odd, even back before it was standard to give STEP offers. There are good reasons why people with high MAT scores don't end up getting places. Let's just say the MAT doesn't measure potential for some subsets of applicants as well as it does others.

Quick Reply

Latest