The Student Room Group

Building chances on getting into uni+ chances of getting jobs after from a young age.

Hi I am a student going into Y10 and I love Mathematics. Even if it may be too early for me I have thought about degrees and a levels briefly and I find Economics, Acturial sciences and Computer science degrees interesting . It would really help if you guys could give me insights on a level choices for theses subjects and also I have seen that with these degress after graduating it is hard to get a job so I just wanted to know what are ways of building your cv from a younger age(I have done DOFE Bronze should I pursue it further into silver and gold-Will it be good for Jobs)
Original post by js234
Hi I am a student going into Y10 and I love Mathematics. Even if it may be too early for me I have thought about degrees and a levels briefly and I find Economics, Acturial sciences and Computer science degrees interesting . It would really help if you guys could give me insights on a level choices for theses subjects and also I have seen that with these degress after graduating it is hard to get a job so I just wanted to know what are ways of building your cv from a younger age(I have done DOFE Bronze should I pursue it further into silver and gold-Will it be good for Jobs)

D of E won't really help in the future, these days so many people have done it. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you are gonna enjoy it.

I would definitely do maths and possibly further maths A levels (depending how good you are at it) as that willhelp you massively for those degrees.

My only other suggestion for you at this time is maybe to do some reading around the subject just for enjoyment. Some of my favourite maths books were How to bake Pi by Eugenia Chang and Incredible Numbers by Ian Stewart. Letters to a Young Mathematician (also by Ian Stewart) is great and answers lots of questions about studying maths at a higher level, maths degrees and stuff if you think that's something you might be interested in pursuing.
Reply 2
Original post by js234

I love that you are thinking about your future but I think you have got things the wrong way round. You are thinking "What subject should I do?" without thinking "Why do I need to study that subject." Rather than think about the subjects you like, think about what you like in general. Do you like being with people or being on your own? Do you like working indoors or outdoors? Do you like problem solving? etc etc. That can then point you to potential careers and then you can work backwards and find out what you need to do in order to get there which answers the question - what subject should I study.

This is an excellent site that allows you to answer questions about what you like and then suggests careers related to it.
https://careers.startprofile.com/page/home-page

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by js234

So you're not going into year 12?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7383504#post98701429
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending