The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because white British students are generally less inclined to work for their education, compared to ethnic minorities who generally understand the importance of a good education. They also have more pressure from their families.

Therefore ethnic minorities will utilise resources (such as TSR) more so than the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
Because white British students are generally less inclined to work for their education, compared to ethnic minorities who generally understand the importance of a good education. They also have more pressure from their families.

Therefore ethnic minorities will utilise resources (such as TSR) more so than the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this actually based on evidence or just casual left wing racism? It's true of the Chinese iirc, but not many Chinese people are on here.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Given that's it's a UK forum that is. It's pretty weird, but it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number. In actuality only just over 10% of people in the UK are an ethnic minority. That is not the case with TSR.

This is all part of our plan take over your major cities and then take over TSR :wink:.
Reply 4
Original post by macromicro
The Chinese have a horrendous view of education. It's essentially parental and teacher dictatorship to create grade machines. They don't want to see students with love of knowledge or passion of subject just A*s in their eyes and fear in their brains.

I have little experience so would not want to just perpetuate myths, although I have heard this is the case. It is still the case that the Chinese value 'education' (if not knowledge and arts, then at least pieces of paper to please the state and companies). Doesn't this refute their point?
Reply 5
Original post by Kruz
This is all part of our plan take over your major cities and then take over TSR :wink:.

Tell me more about the plan :wink:
Reply 6
I wasn't asking you to. Many in China are currently trying to combat the view of education as 'grade-machines' instead of what it ought to be - development of the brain. As it stands, they certainly don't understand the importance of a good education; they have a warped and unnerving view of it.

This.

I remember watching a documentary a year or so back about Chinese education, their final exams (not sure what they're called) are literally life or death. Apparently some spend something like 18-20 hours a day studying for them, and failing means being disowned by your parents. It's insane.
Foreigners care about their education, therefore come on here to get help with their studies/university choices.
Reply 8
it's quite obvious that there are a disproportionate number

Is it?

Is it maybe the case that minorities tend to be more vocal about being from a different background?
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Is it?

Is it maybe the case that minorities tend to be more vocal about being from a different background?

Why would they be that?
Actually according to our school's RAISEonline report there are 30% of minority ethnic pupils in education.

I don't know how you can be sure of someone's ethnicity unless they post it ...
Why would they be that?

Don't know, but that is a general trend.

Though you haven't answered the first bit: is it obvious? Really? I don't think so.
Reply 12
Original post by jakeel1
Is this actually based on evidence or just casual left wing racism? It's true of the Chinese iirc, but not many Chinese people are on here.

It's based off personal experience that is supported by research. Although there is no direct way to measure attitude to studying, it can be inferred from closely related studies:

12.2% White British students achieve AAB+ in 2+ facilitating subjects, compared to 18.8% Indian and 29.4% Chinese. Other ethnic minorities are still higher at 13%.

Study by Christian Dustmann, Tommaso Frattini, Nikolaos Theodoropoulos: "Thus, British born ethnic minorities, despite their initial disadvantage in the British education system,
perform remarkably well in terms of their educational achievements, catching up continuously throughout
the British compulsory school system, and achieving higher shares of college education than their British
born white peers"

There are a lot of statistics you may find useful in that study.

More ethnic minorities studying for a qualification, as well as some ethnic minority groups holding more degrees as a percentage (though I appreciate the fact that obviously many immigrants come over solely to study)

Telegraph article, not sure where to find the original study at Manchester but the article summarises it well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you to be honest. As un-politically correct as it is, it seems to be true. However, it's obviously not the case for everyone. I, as a white British girl, care a lot about my work.
Original post by AdamCee
This.

I remember watching a documentary a year or so back about Chinese education, their final exams (not sure what they're called) are literally life or death. Apparently some spend something like 18-20 hours a day studying for them, and failing means being disowned by your parents. It's insane.

Reminds me of the country where I was born, except the 'disowned' bit!
I wasn't asking you to. Many in China are currently trying to combat the view of education as 'grade-machines' instead of what it ought to be - development of the brain. As it stands, they certainly don't understand the importance of a good education; they have a warped and unnerving view of it.

Unless you've actually been to China you are just spouting off what you've read in the media. I've been to China and this was not true at all. I would say that the Chinese I met were very far from grade machines. They were incredibly knowledgeable, knew almost everything we know even about politics, they know how their country works and how other countries work and the differences etc. They study incredibly diverse subjects, out of 4 people i met 1 was studying music, the other communications, the 3rd not in uni and the 4th in computer science.
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

That casual racism towards white people.
Original post by Drewski
Don't know, but that is a general trend.

Though you haven't answered the first bit: is it obvious? Really? I don't think so.

I have no idea about the first question. It could be covert prejudice on my behalf. Although I'm usually not one to succumb to silly things such as confirmation biases despite how tempting they may be and I also come from an area which is not lacking in ethnic minorities so I doubt that I would under-appreciate the number of ethnic minorities who are living in Britain.

The thing about lots of them specifically coming over to study though is a good point. A lot of users of this forum are at university. Ethnic minorities I assume are more likely to have degrees and all that due to them immigrating with qualifications already or to get qualifications.
I don't know why people are discussing the OP's post as if it is true.

Anyway, it is not disproportionate considering that Ethnic minorities tend to be younger.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Dylann
It's based off personal experience that is supported by research. Although there is no direct way to measure attitude to studying, it can be inferred from closely related studies:

There are a lot of statistics you may find useful in that study.

More ethnic minorities studying for a qualification, as well as some ethnic minority groups holding more degrees as a percentage (though I appreciate the fact that obviously many immigrants come over solely to study)

Aggregate figures are misleading. If you look at that data closer then its basically just what everyone would expect - Indian and Chinese students do very well (as everyone knows - these groups tend to be high performing immigrant populations throughout the world). But the stereotypical “problem groups’ (blacks, and Pakistani+Bangladeshi Muslims) do substanitally worse than native Brits.

Figures 4 and 6 in that report are the key ones - black and Muslim performance is low once you look at the raw data rather than trying to fudge it using "expected results" and FSM eligibility, etc. Additionally, these statistics are always contaminated by the fact they use such a low definitoin of achievement - 5 or more C-A* grades at GSCE, which a sufficiently bright octopus would be able to achieve, if only you could train it how to hold a pencil. If you take a more sensible definiotn of achievement (eg at least BBB at A Level, or getting an A in either maths or Enligsh) then the ethnic gap becomes much wider.

Remember that most state schools actively try to fudge their figures for the purpose of gaming league tables - pupils who sit on the C/D borderline get a disprorportionate amount of attention in order to push them up to a C (which is what counts in league tables). Less intelligent students are encouraged to pick "easy" GSCEs/A Levels so they have more chance of getting a good grade. Etc etc etc. When you use "Getting 5 or more C-A* grades at GCSE" as the only criterion of achivement, the results are close to meaningless.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending