The Student Room Group

Does anyone speak Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HucktheForde
The translated text is what it means.

Its telling the generals that all wars are won by paying the price in bodies. hence an outright warfare is always the last resort. Victory is about achieving military objective, and the most ideal way is to use tactics that doesnt involve spilling bloods.

Thanks, I'm trying to get the meaning of the quote right so I want to be 100% that I have the right characters, given that this quote comes from ancient Chinese it would be appropriate to have it written top to bottom right to left yes?
Original post by Sereni
Thanks, I'm trying to get the meaning of the quote right so I want to be 100% that I have the right characters, given that this quote comes from ancient Chinese it would be appropriate to have it written top to bottom right to left yes?

correct
Reply 22
correct

Would you mind walking me through the way the quote reads, translating it symbol by symbol just leaves a mess
Reply 23
Original post by obsidious
yep you're on track, more or less. the second part ~= to win without fighting is the greatest

Original post by fizzers
Fluent in Chinese- yep just using the second part makes sense.

Is it possible for someone to walk me through how it reads, translating per character leaves a mess, im not sure what specific language it is other than ancient chinese :tongue:
Original post by Sereni
Would you mind walking me through the way the quote reads, translating it symbol by symbol just leaves a mess

sorry what do you mean ? i take it you want me to help you with pronunciation?
Yes, anyone does speak Chinese. About a billion people, mostly living in China.
Reply 26
sorry what do you mean ? i take it you want me to help you with pronunciation?

No not pronunciation just more how the sentence/phrase reads, like the use of comma to split it, in english there are rules like having verbs adjectives etc etc, im wondering how the quote actually reads, how do you know it means what it means?

Further what purpose does each sybol play? I assume none of them mean words like 'the' 'or' 'and,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sereni
No not pronunciation just more how the sentence/phrase reads, like the use of comma to split it, in english there are rules like having verbs adjectives etc etc, im wondering how the quote actually reads, how do you know it means what it means?

Further what purpose does each sybol play? I assume none of them mean words like 'the' 'or' 'and,

you want me to translate each character ?
Original post by Sereni

the quote just reads as it is meant to pronounce lol
Reply 29
you want me to translate each character ?

I want to know how the words connect to each other and form a meaningful phrase, when i translate it word be word i get word soup

"No war/no peace, and/as well as/ but, bent/feel wronged, man/person/people, him/her it... Etc"
Original post by Sereni
I want to know how the words connect to each other and form a meaningful phrase, when i translate it word be word i get word soup

"No war/no peace, and/as well as/ but, bent/feel wronged, man/person/people, him/her it... Etc"

i think you mistaken how the language works. its not like romanize language where you connect alphabets. Each/most character has a meaning of its own and it means what it is meant to mean.
Reply 31
i think you mistaken how the language works. its not like romanize language where you connect alphabets. Each/most character has a meaning of its own and it means what it is meant to mean.

So how does it connect together? Do you use the conext of some characters to decide what others mean? Coz several of the characters seem to have multiple english translations

For example the first two characters can apparently translate both as "no peace" and as "no war"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sereni
So how does it connect together? Do you use the conext of some characters to decide what others mean? Coz several of the characters seem to have multiple english translations

For example the first two characters can apparently translate both as "no peace" and as "no war"

Most characters have its own meaning in a very general way and can stand alone. In order to refine it you put two characters together to narrow down its meaning to refer to something more specific.

Several characters have multiple translations depending on context.
Original post by Sereni

This is classical chinese so obviously its very difficult to understand.

The first two character means "without fighting".
Original post by Sereni

The character "不" can be used as
>no
>without
>the lack of
>deny
>reject

while the character "
戰" can be used for
>fight
>battle
>war
>conflict
>struggle

When you pair them together depending on context it means "without fighting".
Reply 35
This is classical chinese so obviously its very difficult to understand.

The first two character means "without fighting".

So it is more like a picture than a book? so the idea of no fighting but still subjugating enemies together with the idea of greatness all fit together like a picture? Would the order of words matter then?
Original post by Sereni
So it is more like a picture than a book? so the idea of no fighting but still subjugating enemies together with the idea of greatness all fit together like a picture? Would the order of words matter then?

no its a sentence and the order matters. The construction of the sentence is the same with other languages.
Original post by Sereni
Is it possible for someone to walk me through how it reads, translating per character leaves a mess, im not sure what specific language it is other than ancient chinese :tongue:

不戰而屈人之兵,善之善者也 literally means:
Without fighting but bending (beating) people, a soldier is the best solider
which doesn't really make sense, but when properly translated, it means:
A soldier whom can stretch its enemy beyond its breaking point (i.e. breaking its resistance) displays excellence.
The phrasing and sentence order doesn't matter (I guess) as there are other ways of conveying the exact same idea in different ways (in ancient Chinese)- it only matters within context because of the phrase before it, which is in the same phrasing thus serves as a juxtaposition. One thing you should also know is that ancient Chinese people valued books and knowledge immensely (hence the publication of "Sūnzǐ: The Art of War" in the first place)- this idea is conveyed in the phrase.
I can speak Hakka :P
Original post by IcEmAn911
I can speak Hakka :P

I can understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest