The Student Room Group

A British student's life in a Chinese Medical School! AMA

Hey Everyone.
So I really wanted to study medicine. I had good grades but didn't manage to get into my desired university. So instead of wasting anymore time I took a leap of Faith and decided to come to China to study medicine. So far it's been worth it. The experience is a real eye opener and whilst i have to study Chinese alongside medicine, so far I feel the ups outway the downside. The biggest one is that I won't go into insane debt studying medicine. So AMA!

Edit: Going to sleep now! I have a Chinese written exam tomorrow and I haven't slept all night. Will answer any other questions tomorrow!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what Chinese medical school are you at ?
:smile:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Harry__1998
Hey Everyone.
So I really wanted to study medicine. I had good grades but didn't manage to get into my desired university. So instead of wasting anymore time I took a leap of Faith and decided to come to China to study medicine. So far it's been worth it. The experience is a real eye opener and whilst i have to study Chinese alongside medicine, so far I feel the ups outway the downside. The biggest one is that I won't go into insane debt studying medicine. So AMA!

Well done for taking the leap. Don't think ive see one for China.

1. How much do they charge for fees per year?
2. |What % of international students?
3. Could you speak Chinese before?
4. What is the ratio of M to F?
What language is the course being taught in?
How much more difficult will it make applying to nhs posts if you plan on working in nhs?
Whats the atmosphere like compared to uk? Like does it feel safe or do you always feel a bit uneasy?
Do Chinese girls like white guys?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Well done for taking the leap. Don't think ive see one for China.

1. How much do they charge for fees per year?
2. |What % of international students?
3. Could you speak Chinese before?
4. What is the ratio of M to F

Thanks.

1. It depends where you go. Some places are as expensive as England. But in some places including all your living expenses you'll probably spend around £18000-20000 in five years if you budget well. My fees are around £3000 a year including hostel fees. My monthly expenses are about £130-150 ( about 1100RMB a month.

2. It depends tbh. International students study separately from the Chinese students. We're taught in English. My class strength is 50. There was one batch that had 80, but in my uni its never been below 45 in a batch. The entire universe has about 20000 students though. And only 500 of us are international.

3.Nope. I found out when i came here that I even spoke Ni Hao wrong. Now in 6 months I could probably pass HSK 1 easily.

4. Again depends. My class is 40% boys 60 girls. Four batches above mine only had 10 girls in a class of 50. But most times its about 50-50
Reply 6
Original post by 6ix9ine4life
How much more difficult will it make applying to nhs posts if you plan on working in nhs?
Whats the atmosphere like compared to uk? Like does it feel safe or do you always feel a bit uneasy?
Do Chinese girls like white guys?

I definitely intend to return home after my bachelor's. As for posting it depends how well i perform in the PLAB.

The university definitely feels same. But it take some serious adjusting to. I've lived in a few parts of South Asia before so I managed to adjust quickly. You need to have an open mind and realise that its i different culture. It'll be hard for you to adjust to even the other intl students as well bexit they're mostly from Pakistan, India, the middle east or African Countries. But if you manage to adjust you'll love it.

3. Hahaha. Chinese girls love all types of foreigners. Its kind of a status thing if you have a foreign BF/GF. At least from what I've seen. However I study in a small city with little night life. If you're looking for fun you're better off going to major cities like Shanghai or Beijing. But the fees there are expensive.
1)What entry requirements did you need to meet to enter medical school in China?
2)Will your final medical exams be in Chinese or English
3) How are you funding the degree- do you have a loan or are your parents paying for it?
4) Is the degree 5 years?
Reply 8
Original post by stereotypeasian
what Chinese medical school are you at ?
:smile:

Spoiler

Honestly I'd rather not say as I want to stay semi anonymous atm.
Ihave zero family over here but like I've said if you manage to adjust you'll love it
Reply 9
Original post by Gluecagone
What language is the course being taught in?

All my teachers teach in English. Butttt you need to understand that not all teachers have good spoken English. Actually alot don't. They're writing and reading is good though. Some are amazing but some are rather ****e tbh. Alot and alot is major self study. But thats medicine I guess. For those teachers that aren't so good your books and online lectures will help you alot. But you'll have to study Chinese unless you go to a more expensive university where you wont need to study Chinese.

Honestly I love the Chinese classes even if they're a hassle and get in the way sometimes
what was the application process like ?
(sorry for asking questions)
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
1)What entry requirements did you need to meet to enter medical school in China?
2)Will your final medical exams be in Chinese or English
3) How are you funding the degree- do you have a loan or are your parents paying for it?
4) Is the degree 5 years?

1.Some universities require you to take an entrance exam but majority dont. They want int'l students. Especially ones from Europe. And especially the UK.

2.All my exams are in English except my Chinese language exams.

3. Its about 75-25 . Im turning 22 this year. I finished school at 20 ( health reasons) took a gap year and worked so I have some savings. Not alot but about 2 years tution I guess.
Also live expenses in most cities are low. You could live comfortably on about £110-150 a month

4. The total time is six years. 5 years courses. And 1 year internship in any hospital. Most go back to their home countries for this year
1.Some universities require you to take an entrance exam but majority dont. They want int'l students. Especially ones from Europe. And especially the UK.

2.All my exams are in English except my Chinese language exams.

3. Its about 75-25 . Im turning 22 this year. I finished school at 20 ( health reasons) took a gap year and worked so I have some savings. Not alot but about 2 years tution I guess.
Also live expenses in most cities are low. You could live comfortably on about £110-150 a month

4. The total time is six years. 5 years courses. And 1 year internship in any hospital. Most go back to their home countries for this year

1) Are you going to go back to the UK after you finish your degree?
2) What A-levels did you get?
3) Is there a lot of learning from books or do you get a good amount of exposure to being in a hospital and clinical skills?
what was the application process like ?
(sorry for asking questions)

Hahah. Ask away. I actually have a Chinese exam tomorrow but im restless and cant sleep.

There a few ways. I came through a friend. He was an old friend i knew from South Asia. He arranged it for me after I researched where I wanted to go. He was a trusted source. However theres a few online sites that act as middle agents and are good. But throughly research everything yourself. Only trust the information you've researched and have a clear idea where you want to go and what you need to do. Information is key. Trust me. Do not and whatever you do dont turn up to a university by word of mouth. It happens in universities in china every year. People arrive here clueless with no idea of anything and after a while they end up going home wasting insane amounts of money.
1) Are you going to go back to the UK after you finish your degree?
2) What A-levels did you get?
3) Is there a lot of learning from books or do you get a good amount of exposure to being in a hospital and clinical skills?

1.Hopefully. I do intend to go back.
2. A A B
3.Well im in my second semester atm. Basically second part of my first year. Ive literally just arrived. However heres how it works. The first five semesters are all theory and memorising and books. The remaining five is when you start your hospital rounds as well as your usual studies. The senior students say that there's alot of patient exposure in our hospitals. Most universities are government universities so are affiliated with big hospitals. However some universities are better than others so their hospitals provide better exposure to patients in the sense that you will see more. But we have state of the art facilities over here. Its very impressive.
favourite part of medicine so far
favourite thing about China
1.Hopefully. I do intend to go back.
2. A A B
3.Well im in my second semester atm. Basically second part of my first year. Ive literally just arrived. However heres how it works. The first five semesters are all theory and memorising and books. The remaining five is when you start your hospital rounds as well as your usual studies. The senior students say that there's alot of patient exposure in our hospitals. Most universities are government universities so are affiliated with big hospitals. However some universities are better than others so their hospitals provide better exposure to patients in the sense that you will see more. But we have state of the art facilities over here. Its very impressive.

1) Do you need any specific A-level subjects or grades to go to medical school in China or do you just need to be able to speak English?
1) Do you need any specific A-level subjects or grades to go to medical school in China or do you just need to be able to speak English?

Subjects should be Bio, Chem Phys or Math. Basically pre medical subjects. And honestly there are some university dont care what your grades are. They just want foreign students

1.Of course if you're from the UK or and English speaking country you don't need to prove you can speak English but if you're from a foreign country you have to show that you studied English throughout your school years.
favourite part of medicine so far
favourite thing about China

Ngl. The online shopping. Actually shopping in general. Theres a saying that you can literally get anything in China. Thought it was exaggerated, but nooooo. Its very very true. And they have so many choices for the 1 thing you usually want to buy that you end up not buying it because you're unsure which option to choose.
What's your life in China like? Can you speak and/or read and/or write?

Are you living off your savings? Or does the university give you some grants or financial support? Is the housing expensive? What is the quality of the housing and healthcare in China? Is the food expensive there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending