The Student Room Group

Obama: Do not distort religion to justify wars and violence

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2015/02/08/obama_do_not_distort_religion_to_justify_wars_and_violence/1122241

President Obama denounced those around the world who distort religion to justify wars and violence as he addressed faith and political leaders at the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday. The Dalai Lama was one of the participants, Sarah Pulliam Bailey reports in the Washington Post. “We see faith driving us to do right,” Obama said. “We also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge, or worse, sometimes as a weapon.”
Obama noted the recent atrocities by the Islamic State group, the January shooting at the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris, fighting in the Central African Republic and other recent events in which religion served as a motivating factor.
He did not exempt the United States, noting that Christianity had at one time been used to justify slavery and laws discriminating against blacks. “So this is not unique to one group or one religion,” he said. “There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency that can pervert and distort our faith.”

President Obama has the right of it. People have always used faith to further their own agenda, which has often been violent. The Islamic State are only the most recent example of this. Yet, President Obama does not provide us with any solutions on how to tackle this kind of religiously motivated violence. I'd like to see him offer an alternative.
This applies to the extreme and radicalised Muslims. If only they can read this and contemplate. They give the whole Muslim population a bad name and now we are living in a world of Anti-Muslimism and Anti-Islamism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
If only they can read this and contemplate.

I'd hope so.
Reply 3
He's got it alright. :biggrin:

Original post by Groot
He's got it alright. :biggrin:

haha lol
"God told me to invade iraq" - Bush

Yup.

He did not exempt the United States, noting that Christianity had at one time been used to justify slavery and laws discriminating against blacks. “So this is not unique to one group or one religion,” he said. “There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency that can pervert and distort our faith.”
(edited 9 years ago)
Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. By about a thousand years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol

Didn't the last president of America bush say god told him to invade Iraq and subsequently kill all those muslims
Any institution unconstrained will do bad things to other institutions. Islam is unconstrained so it does bad things. The Catholic Church wasn't constrained, so it did bad things. Christians in Africa are unconstrained they do bad things. Secularists were unconstrained in China they do bad things. Buddhist are unconstrained in Burma so they do bad things. The Puritans were unconstrained and did bad things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
This applies to the extreme and radicalised Muslims. If only they can read this and contemplate. They give the whole Muslim population a bad name and now we are living in a world of Anti-Muslimism and Anti-Islamism.

But who in the government or state is anti-muhammadanist or anti-muhammadanism?

Sure people within the British nation state are, but the government and state institutions aren't.

I would like to see a return of the penal laws against Muhammadanism.
Original post by william walker
But who in the government or state is anti-muhammadanist or anti-muhammadanism?

Sure people within the British nation state are, but the government and state institutions aren't.

I would like to see a return of the penal laws against Muhammadanism.

When you use the word muhammadanosm you sound like you're from
victorian times. Nobody uses that lexicon in modern times.
Original post by MatureStudent36
When you use the word muhammadanosm you sound like you're from
victorian times. Nobody uses that lexicon in modern times.

I am a reactionary. What do you expect me to do?

Islam also means among other things submission to Sharia law. I refuse to use the word because of it. I use Muhammadanism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Obama is a war criminal and he even kills his own citizens. He also lied about US intelligence of ISIS.
Original post by william walker
I am a reactionary. What do you expect me to do?

Islam also means among other things submission to Sharia law. I refuse to use the word because of it. I use Muhammadanism.

Islam doesn't mean submission to sharia law.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Islam doesn't mean submission to sharia law.

Yes it does.
Typical Obama Islamofascism.
That's funny coming from America wherever they go they create war and conflicts the latest being with Ukraine.
Original post by navarre
http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2015/02/08/obama_do_not_distort_religion_to_justify_wars_and_violence/1122241

President Obama has the right of it. People have always used faith to further their own agenda, which has often been violent. The Islamic State are only the most recent example of this. Yet, President Obama does not provide us with any solutions on how to tackle this kind of religiously motivated violence. I'd like to see him offer an alternative.

These stupid soundbites won't solve a damm thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending