The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J3SS742
I havent heard anything either! :/ when did you get your offer? :smile:

about two weeks ago! You? I applied to Castle but its so oversubscribed, what about you?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 221
Original post by RebeccaLK
about two weeks ago! You? I applied to Castle but its so oversubscribed, what about you?

I got my offer in November so Im kinda surprised/worried that I havent got my college allocation yet! Ahh well, hopefully we'll hear back soon :smile: ooh castle is gorgeous! I applied to Hatfield but I think thats pretty oversubscribed as well haha :smile:
Original post by J3SS742
I got my offer in November so Im kinda surprised/worried that I havent got my college allocation yet! Ahh well, hopefully we'll hear back soon :smile: ooh castle is gorgeous! I applied to Hatfield but I think thats pretty oversubscribed as well haha :smile:

Well good luck! I hope you get in!
Reply 223
Well good luck! I hope you get in!

Aww thanks, good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Should I be worried that everyone seems to have been allocated to a college and I haven't heard anything since I got my offer?

Was ur offer before or after the 1st feb? If it was after you might have to waiT a little while longer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jennaxeg
Was ur offer before or after the 1st feb? If it was after you might have to waiT a little while longer

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it was before, and two of my friends who got their offers on exactly the same day has her answer
Reply 226
Allocated Josephine Butler with preference St John's...slightly disappointed as I really wanted a Bailey college. But it does look really rather nice!
Original post by winter97
Well done!! What course to study? :smile:

Politics, you?
Sent an open application, got allocated to St Hild & St Bede. Quite happy though I was really hoping for a smaller college!
Reply 229
Does Grey college have good sport facilities? I am interested in volleyball and rowing... Can you play sports at university level and not collegiate level?
Original post by rennys
Does Grey college have good sport facilities? I am interested in volleyball and rowing... Can you play sports at university level and not collegiate level?

Yeah this is my issue as well, I just wanna play sport but I feel like if my college doesn't do it will be difficult to play. I know they play a lot on university level because Durham are 2nd in the BUCS league

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 231
Original post by themancunian
Woop woop physics at St. Johns!

hurray, someone else who got into Johns! I got in for English lit, so excited!
Reply 232
Original post by Dylann
Yeah this is my issue as well, I just wanna play sport but I feel like if my college doesn't do it will be difficult to play. I know they play a lot on university level because Durham are 2nd in the BUCS league

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is that I don't think I can play at national level, especially for rowing which I haven't practiced before, so from what I have understood, I am limited to College sports. However, from the videos and photos I've seen online, Grey pretty much has one basketball court which is weird because it has a lot of outdoor space there. Does Grey have an amateur rowing team? An amateur athletics team maybe? I mean, it has 900 students, it must have something!
Did you get into Grey as well?
This is so frustrating.
Original post by rennys
The problem is that I don't think I can play at national level, especially for rowing which I haven't practiced before, so from what I have understood, I am limited to College sports. However, from the videos and photos I've seen online, Grey pretty much has one basketball court which is weird because it has a lot of outdoor space there. Does Grey have an amateur rowing team? An amateur athletics team maybe? I mean, it has 900 students, it must have something!
This is so frustrating.

Nope I got into Van Mildert (hadn't really heard of it before I got allocated). I totally agree, I like a lot of sports but I don't play any of them enough to play for University. I just want to be able to play something like badminton with whoever and from whatever college. Hopefully we're not too restricted by our colleges...what subject are you going to study?
Hi I'm not a Durham applicant but I'd like to ask a question out of concern for a friend:

Has everyone been given an offer or rejected already, or are there people still waiting?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rennys
This is so frustrating.

Have a look around on this page to get some idea of the amount of College sport played in Durham - it's enormous.
https://www.teamdurham.com/collegesport/

Grey seem to be near the top of most points tables.
Reply 236
Original post by Dylann
Nope I got into Van Mildert (hadn't really heard of it before I got allocated). I totally agree, I like a lot of sports but I don't play any of them enough to play for University. I just want to be able to play something like badminton with whoever and from whatever college. Hopefully we're not too restricted by our colleges...what subject are you going to study?

I have an offer for law. What about you? I have a friend at Van Mildert and he's having the time of his life there, he is very much a partying guy, and I think he is also in the rowing team.
Reply 237
Original post by tiny hobbit
Have a look around on this page to get some idea of the amount of College sport played in Durham - it's enormous.
https://www.teamdurham.com/collegesport/

Grey seem to be near the top of most points tables.

Thank you, this is quite helpful!
I also found this: http://community.dur.ac.uk/grey.jcr/applicants/sportsAndSocs.php
I guess I am reacting too negatively to my college allocation... I am trying to warm up to the idea though
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rennys
I have an offer for law. What about you? I have a friend at Van Mildert and he's having the time of his life there, he is very much a partying guy, and I think he is also in the rowing team.

Chemistry. I've spoken to a few people who are at Durham and say they don't really know much about Mildert...and I saw the other post and it looks like Grey are really good for sport, Mildert is...let's say...not quite up there lol....are you going for the open days?
Reply 239
I was a bit worried about the sport aspect being at Castle but its been great. College sport is excellent - teams in most sports (male, female, mixed) with inter-college leagues. I signed up to stuff I'd never done before - lacrosse and rowing, plus the usual rugby, football etc. I'll never make a university standard player but that doesn't matter its the taking part which is the best bit.

The Hill colleges generally do better and have more teams but that isn't true in all cases.

Training is done at Maiden Castle or the Racecourse. Swimming at the Durham city pool.

There is as much sport as you want - or conversely as little as you want. All colleges participate.

Quick Reply

Latest