The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by madmenace
What textbook do you use? My one explains how they come about ...but yeah I just remembered the two

The Cambridge university press one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
I am so happy right now. I was doing the June 2010 paper for C4 and I got 59/61 (I didn't do the last question as I haven't learnt differential eqautions yet)
Reply 22
Original post by Tiwa
I am so happy right now. I was doing the June 2010 paper for C4 and I got 59/61 (I didn't do the last question as I haven't learnt differential eqautions yet)

Woah well done! Keep up the good work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by CD223
Woah well done! Keep up the good work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! It's just about practice from now on.
Reply 24
Totally! How many papers are you doing before the exam?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by CD223
Totally! How many papers are you doing before the exam?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I going to try to do all of them. And if there's still time, move on to the Solomon papers.
Reply 26
Original post by Tiwa
I going to try to do all of them. And if there's still time, move on to the Solomon papers.

All from 2005? Nice! Are you purely using past papers to revise, or also revision guides?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by CD223
All from 2005? Nice! Are you purely using past papers to revise, or also revision guides?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm using the CGP revision as well as well. Maybe not all the past papers from 2005, but I'll do as much as possible!
Reply 28
Original post by Tiwa
I'm using the CGP revision as well as well. Maybe not all the past papers from 2005, but I'll do as much as possible!

Oh right! That makes sense :smile: how far are you into the course at the minute?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any extra papers available in the same style as AQA that anyone has available? For example I found on one website a paper that a teacher has made based on one years exam, with different questions but testing each point at a similar level of difficulty.

I don't like using the resources from Edexcel for example, it just doesn't seem right haha.

Core 3 and 4 either are good😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by CD223
Oh right! That makes sense :smile: how far are you into the course at the minute?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We only have differential equations and exponential growth and decay in C4 to line and vertical circular motion in M2!
Reply 31
Original post by Tiwa
We only have differential equations and exponential growth and decay in C4 to line and vertical circular motion in M2!

Oh nice! I've all of M2 after variable acceleration to go...
Reply 32
Hii Guys !!

im taking this exam to AQA

right now we're on Differential equations but ive really struggled with the previous exercise in the textbook (AQA) further calculus, i just dont know how or when to use a certain integrtion method to integrate a function???? could someone give me some tips for this ? and how u go about it id realllly appreciate it!!!!
thank you !!
Reply 33
Original post by 707456
Hii Guys !!

im taking this exam to AQA

right now we're on Differential equations but ive really struggled with the previous exercise in the textbook (AQA) further calculus, i just dont know how or when to use a certain integrtion method to integrate a function???? could someone give me some tips for this ? and how u go about it id realllly appreciate it!!!!
thank you !!

Ah welcome to the thread!
If there's two different types of function multiplied together (trig and logs) for example, you'd use integration by parts.

If there's a bracket like (x-3)^2. You'd use by substitution and call u=x-3
Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by CD223
Ah welcome to the thread!
If there's two different types of function multiplied together (trig and logs) for example, you'd use integration by parts.

If there's a bracket like (x-3)^2. You'd use by substitution and call u=x-3
Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks yh thats makes sense
how abt fractions like 1 over a function or x over a function ?

also integrating involving partial fractions if u have a linear over a repeated root and a linear Eg: 5x-4/(x-2)^2(x+1) how wud put them partial fractions ?

Thank you very much!!!!:biggrin:
Original post by 707456

also integrating involving partial fractions if u have a linear over a repeated root and a linear Eg: 5x-4/(x-2)^2(x+1) how wud put them partial fractions ?

A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 + C/(x+1)

Make sure you can do all the varieties of partial fractions, since that's one of the straight forward bits of C4.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by tiny hobbit
A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 + C/(x+1)

Thank u sooo much!!!! and also for the notes !!!!!!!!
ur the best :biggrin::p:$
Reply 37
Original post by Hilton184
Are there any extra papers available in the same style as AQA that anyone has available? For example I found on one website a paper that a teacher has made based on one years exam, with different questions but testing each point at a similar level of difficulty.

I don't like using the resources from Edexcel for example, it just doesn't seem right haha.

Core 3 and 4 either are good😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried Solomon papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by 707456

Usually if you have 1 over a function you can make the whole thing to the power of minus one. I.E: 1/(x^2-3x-8) would become (x^2-3x-8)^-1 then you can use integration by substitution.

If you have x over a function then check to see if you can notice if the function on top is the derivative (or a multiple of the derivative) of the bottom. If so, it is ln of whatever is on the bottom. Or a multiple of ln of whatever was on the bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Usually if you have 1 over a function you can make the whole thing to the power of minus one. I.E: 1/(x^2-3x-8) would become (x^2-3x-8)^-1 then you can use integration by substitution.

If you have x over a function then check to see if you can notice if the function on top is the derivative (or a multiple of the derivative) of the bottom. If so, it is ln of whatever is on the bottom. Or a multiple of ln of whatever was on the bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Substitution won't work on 1/(x^2-3x-8) because the derivative of the inside of the bracket isn't there. If the bracket factorised you could use partial fractions. Since it doesn't, this variety doesn't turn up until FM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending