The Student Room Group

Sheffield Dentistry 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! congrats on interviews I have mine on the 5th of March and was wondering how people are feeling for this? Do you think they'll ask us a lot of dental related stuff not related to our ps? Good luck guys! So nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnishaJayne
Hi everyone! congrats on interviews I have mine on the 5th of March and was wondering how people are feeling for this? Do you think they'll ask us a lot of dental related stuff not related to our ps? Good luck guys! So nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, mine is on the same day!
well they tend to ask questions from your ps cuz they have it infront of them!! :s-smilie:
I have mine on the 6th March, but the interview letter kinda scared me a bit. sounds like it will be a daunting experience. plus, this will be my only experience of a traditional interview, cos my other three were mmi's!!!
Reply 143
Mine's on the 6th too it does sound really daunting I've had one traditional interview before but Sheffield's seems more vague as to what they're going to ask:s-smilie: Just to double check when you say interview letter do you mean the email or did you also receive a letter through the post?:yes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rhi-lux
Mine's on the 6th too it does sound really daunting I've had one traditional interview before but Sheffield's seems more vague as to what they're going to ask:s-smilie: Just to double check when you say interview letter do you mean the email or did you also receive a letter through the post?:yes:

sorry - I meant the information in the email!
Reply 145
Does anyone know if sheffield ever ask ethical dilemma questions or are they less common in panel interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody have any idea how many undergrads get interviewed for Sheffield dentistry? I'm studying Biomed and have an interview on Friday, but no one else I know has an interview there.
Whats everyone bringing to show manual dexterity? I play electric guitar, but it would be impossible for me to bring my guitar and amp to sheffield, trying to figure out something else right now.
Reply 148
Original post by xMystics
Whats everyone bringing to show manual dexterity? I play electric guitar, but it would be impossible for me to bring my guitar and amp to sheffield, trying to figure out something else right now.

Couldnt you video it on your phone or on a camera and show them that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ma3
Couldnt you video it on your phone or on a camera and show them that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of this, but im not sure if its appropriate or not

It seems a more 'if you want to' bring something you can. People I've talked to in the past say they don't mind too much. So long as you can talk about it as if you know what you're doing they'll be fine. They might ask you what you enjoy playing and what sort of experiences you get from playing, i.e. a recent concert you performed in and what you played or a piece you're working on at the moment. It's pretty obvious when someone doesn't actually know what they're talking about in music. I will be using the fact that I am an instrumentalist to discuss dexterity too, which I have quantified with graded exams, you won't be the only one so don't worry :smile:
Original post by medicate08
It seems a more 'if you want to' bring something you can. People I've talked to in the past say they don't mind too much. So long as you can talk about it as if you know what you're doing they'll be fine. They might ask you what you enjoy playing and what sort of experiences you get from playing, i.e. a recent concert you performed in and what you played or a piece you're working on at the moment. It's pretty obvious when someone doesn't actually know what they're talking about in music. I will be using the fact that I am an instrumentalist to discuss dexterity too, which I have quantified with graded exams, you won't be the only one so don't worry :smile:

I might just bring a rubik's cube and have a recording on my laptop to show them if they wanted to see.
Original post by HPDentist
Lol i dont think rubiks cube is related manual dexterity...you just have to learn an algorithm and turn the sides accordingly...??

I know someone who knows the algorithms and takes 3 min to solve the cube while i only need 30 -40 seconds using the same algorithms. I d say it definitely demonstrate manual dexterity. I will have a video of me playing guitar to show them if they want to see, electric guitar + amp is just impossible to carry around and will take a while to set up. I emailed to ask if they accept videos, if not, ill bring a cube and if i could get my hands on an acoustic in the next few days, ill bring the acoustic.
Original post by zvhra
It's true I got 690 and didn't hear from Sheffield so idk what they were looking for this year, or 690 wasn't good enough dunno

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 634 on uk cat, 4A's at AS, and got an interview at Sheffield
Original post by C4nutrition1
I got 634 on uk cat, 4A's at AS, and got an interview at Sheffield

Im pretty sure Sheffield doesnt have a UKCAT cut off for interviews, its based on your personal statement and predicted.
Im pretty sure Sheffield doesnt have a UKCAT cut off for interviews, its based on your personal statement and predicted.

Yup, I believe that is true. I only got 642.5, but I spent ages on making sure my personal statement was the best it could be, and that seemed to pay off and I managed to get an interview :smile:
Original post by Abhay123
Yup, I believe that is true. I only got 642.5, but I spent ages on making sure my personal statement was the best it could be, and that seemed to pay off and I managed to get an interview :smile:

This is what makes Sheffield so attractive as a place to study Dentistry because they know it's all not all about how academic you are, it's about who you are as a person :smile:
Original post by Rachel Eleanor
This is what makes Sheffield so attractive as a place to study Dentistry because they know it's all not all about how academic you are, it's about who you are as a person :smile:

Yup exactly - they appreciate that Dentistry is not all about how smart you are, but that in order to be a good dentist, you need to have a friendly and caring personality, have great interpersonal skills and decent manual dexterity. Thats why i think they are holding traditional interviews to judge your personality and question your personally statement to ensure you are a honest person, rather than holding MMI's that test more innate skills and problem solving under pressure.
Guys, I'm not quite sure how to prepare for Sheffield interview, as it's my only traditional interview! do you think they will ask us an ethical dilemma, or do you think it will be more about our personal statement and us as people. On the interview letter, it says they expect us to have done research before the interview. Does that mean just reading up on the latest topics in dentistry?
Original post by Shaz xx
Guys, I'm not quite sure how to prepare for Sheffield interview, as it's my only traditional interview! do you think they will ask us an ethical dilemma, or do you think it will be more about our personal statement and us as people. On the interview letter, it says they expect us to have done research before the interview. Does that mean just reading up on the latest topics in dentistry?

You want to read up on current issues in dentistry but also current advances like new technology etc. But you cannot guess at all what they will ask you, as if you focus too hard on one area you'll stumble if they ask you something different! It's likely they will ask you about your personal statement AND ethics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest