The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by CD223
Jealous. Sounds like I went to the wrong college :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably :tongue: it's pretty weird to hear people talking about picking where they want to go for sixth form though like what I can only get to one place (the glory of rural areas). It is a very good college but that's just a coincidence really, I go there because it's our college?
Reply 201
Original post by Lau14
Probably :tongue: it's pretty weird to hear people talking about picking where they want to go for sixth form though like what I can only get to one place (the glory of rural areas). It is a very good college but that's just a coincidence really, I go there because it's our college?

Kinda the same with me really. People travel miles to get to my college (not because it's rural, but because like 4,000 people go there and it has a good reputation) but it's only a 10 minute walk away for me haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Original post by CD223
Kinda the same with me really. People travel miles to get to my college (not because it's rural, but because like 4,000 people go there and it has a good reputation) but it's only a 10 minute walk away for me haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we get a lot of people travelling a long way for our college as well like I didn't even realise it had a good reputation until I was here I had no choice realistically. Like people leave the private schools in the same town to come here instead sometimes. Bit further than a ten minute walk though! (even my grandparent's is a 25 minute walk, we're about a 15 minute drive depending on traffic. Which for me getting to college is 5 minutes car, 10 minutes park and ride because it's a lot cheaper and on the way to work for mum anyway).
Reply 203
Original post by Lau14
Yeah we get a lot of people travelling a long way for our college as well like I didn't even realise it had a good reputation until I was here I had no choice realistically. Like people leave the private schools in the same town to come here instead sometimes. Bit further than a ten minute walk though! (even my grandparent's is a 25 minute walk, we're about a 15 minute drive depending on traffic. Which for me getting to college is 5 minutes car, 10 minutes park and ride because it's a lot cheaper and on the way to work for mum anyway).

Ah it does seem pretty local still!
What do you happen to know about a Cassegrain reflector?
Reply 204
Original post by CD223
Ah it does seem pretty local still!
What do you happen to know about a Cassegrain reflector?

Cassegrain reflectors have the secondary mirror directly opposite the primary mirror, reflecting light back through a hole in the primary mirror to an eyepiece, whereas Newtonian reflectors have an angled mirror to reflect light to an eyepiece in the side of the telescope. Basically just a case of where the eyepiece is I think!
Reply 205
Original post by Lau14
Cassegrain reflectors have the secondary mirror directly opposite the primary mirror, reflecting light back through a hole in the primary mirror to an eyepiece, whereas Newtonian reflectors have an angled mirror to reflect light to an eyepiece in the side of the telescope. Basically just a case of where the eyepiece is I think!

Ah thank you! My teacher talked of Newtonian reflectors today - he set us a research task on Cassegrain reflectors. Do both types of reflecting telescopes block out parts of the image by using a secondary convex mirror?
Reply 206
Original post by CD223
Ah thank you! My teacher talked of Newtonian reflectors today - he set us a research task on Cassegrain reflectors. Do both types of reflecting telescopes block out parts of the image by using a secondary convex mirror?

They both have a secondary convex mirror, but our teacher was talking about how they don't block out the image as such (there's not a black blob in the middle) because light comes into the telescope from all directions or the region lost (due to that and the hole in the secondary mirror on Cassegrains) is insignificant or something, it just decreases the amount of light getting in.
Reply 207
Original post by Lau14
They both have a secondary convex mirror, but our teacher was talking about how they don't block out the image as such (there's not a black blob in the middle) because light comes into the telescope from all directions or the region lost (due to that and the hole in the secondary mirror on Cassegrains) is insignificant or something, it just decreases the amount of light getting in.

Oh right!
So why would you use a cassegrain over a Newtonian or vice versa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need as many notes as I can for astrophysics, it's hard to take in all those keywords.
Reply 209
Original post by simonli2575
I need as many notes as I can for astrophysics, it's hard to take in all those keywords.

How far into it are you?
We've done very little. Basically everything past resolving power in lenses is still to come :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How far into it are you?
We've done very little. Basically everything past resolving power in lenses is still to come :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

We learned drawing lens diagram, resolving power, distance in parsec, different telescopes (I forgot all of them), chromatic and spherical aberration, Wien's displacement law, Stefan's law, magnitudes, star classes, etc.
I have the CGP book at least, might it help?
Reply 211
Original post by CD223
Oh right!
So why would you use a cassegrain over a Newtonian or vice versa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no clue... the Newtonian would likely put the eyepiece in a more convenient place for actual observing but I can't think of any other reasons and I don't have any in my notes?
Reply 212
We learned drawing lens diagram, resolving power, distance in parsec, different telescopes (I forgot all of them), chromatic and spherical aberration, Wien's displacement law, Stefan's law, magnitudes, star classes, etc.
I have the CGP book at least, might it help?

Haha yeah the CGP book is good :smile: do you have the AQA textbook too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Original post by Lau14
I have no clue... the Newtonian would likely put the eyepiece in a more convenient place for actual observing but I can't think of any other reasons and I don't have any in my notes?

Oh right! I'm not sure how much of this research task is just for interest and how much is actual facts we need to recall... Thanks anyway!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha yeah the CGP book is good :smile: do you have the AQA textbook too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately no, we only have the one for the compulsory parts (no options A-D), and that's the part I really need.
Reply 215
Unfortunately no, we only have the one for the compulsory parts (no options A-D), and that's the part I really need.

Ah right! I'll try and PM you the Astro AQA notes when I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah right! I'll try and PM you the Astro AQA notes when I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.:smile:
Reply 217
Thanks.:smile:

No worries! Gonna email my physics teacher for digital copies now!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 218
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I'm not sure how much of this research task is just for interest and how much is actual facts we need to recall... Thanks anyway!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you need to be able to draw the Cassegrain set up as well as the Newtonian, but otherwise you only need to know differences/pros and cons for reflectors vs referactors?
Reply 219
AND WE ARE OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!! (with the teaching of the course anyway!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending