The Student Room Group

Sheffield Dentistry 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sra5
I was on panel 5 and it was horrendous! I think it wasn't conducted fairly at all

I was on panel 5 and thought it was fine !
I had panel 5 and they were lovely. I had my interview on Thursday Tho so maybe they changed the people around, I thought it went very fast, but it was the most enjoyable interview yet. It's such a amazing school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C4nutrition1
I was on panel 5 and thought it was fine !

Original post by AnishaJayne
I had panel 5 and they were lovely. I had my interview on Thursday Tho so maybe they changed the people around, I thought it went very fast, but it was the most enjoyable interview yet. It's such a amazing school

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you guys get asked a question from a professor (white hair) regarding a graph?
Original post by xMystics
Did you guys get asked a question from a professor (white hair) regarding a graph?

No I didn't and I had panel 5. Why, did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythagorasRex
No I didn't and I had panel 5. Why, did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

different dates, mine was on friday
different dates, mine was on friday

So was mine, at 9:45

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythagorasRex
So was mine, at 9:45

Posted from TSR Mobile

lul wut, this is a bit unfair, i understand if they wanted to asked hard questions to see how candidates react to a unprepared and difficult question, but this would only work if all candidates had similar questions?

I spoke to friends whom were interviewed in other panels, they had questions about research interests, NHS related questions, teamwork related questions, and work experience. Meanwhile i had NONE of these questions.

Im just confused about how they are going to judge candidates' suitability for this course, when some candidates are given questions which they could show that they are interested in dentistry and that they have the correct qualities to become a dentist, and some (including me) was never given the chance to demonstrate any of this during the interview.
lul wut, this is a bit unfair, i understand if they wanted to asked hard questions to see how candidates react to a unprepared and difficult question, but this would only work if all candidates had similar questions?

I spoke to friends whom were interviewed in other panels, they had questions about research interests, NHS related questions, teamwork related questions, and work experience. Meanwhile i had NONE of these questions.

Im just confused about how they are going to judge candidates' suitability for this course, when some candidates are given questions which they could show that they are interested in dentistry and that they have the correct qualities to become a dentist, and some (including me) was never given the chance to demonstrate any of this during the interview.

I find with interviews and when you give presentations etc, that they ask harder questions because they want to push the candidate as they are more impressed. So I wouldn't get hung up on how hard the questions were. If they didn't ask you anything about team work they probably thought your personal statement demonstrated it very well so they didn't need to know any more :smile:
Original post by Rachel Eleanor
I find with interviews and when you give presentations etc, that they ask harder questions because they want to push the candidate as they are more impressed. So I wouldn't get hung up on how hard the questions were. If they didn't ask you anything about team work they probably thought your personal statement demonstrated it very well so they didn't need to know any more :smile:

I get what you mean, but i think interviews shouldn't be conducted this way, you would understand if i put this in another context.

There were 2 three year old kids, kid-1 and kid-2. The parent could only take one of them to Disney land, so they wanted to interview them to select which kid to take. Kid-1 is an average kid, kid-2 was a smart-ass.

The parents asked kid-1 wat is 1+1, kid-1 correctly answered the question, and the parent turned around to kid-2, and asked him to integrate In(2x^2+5), and kid-2 couldn't answer this question.

How should the parent make the decision?

We are all like 3 year old kids in the eyes of the interviewers, and this is why i think the interviews are not well conducted at all, it doesnt matter if a candidate is an average kid or a smart ass kid, they should be judged using the same set of guideline with questions of similar difficulty.
I get what you mean, but i think interviews shouldn't be conducted this way, you would understand if i put this in another context.

There were 2 three year old kids, kid-1 and kid-2. The parent could only take one of them to Disney land, so they wanted to interview them to select which kid to take. Kid-1 is an average kid, kid-2 was a smart-ass.

The parents asked kid-1 wat is 1+1, kid-1 correctly answered the question, and the parent turned around to kid-2, and asked him to integrate In(2x^2+5), and kid-2 couldn't answer this question.

How should the parent make the decision?

We are all like 3 year old kids in the eyes of the interviewers, and this is why i think the interviews are not well conducted at all, it doesnt matter if a candidate is an average kid or a smart ass kid, they should be judged using the same set of guideline with questions of similar difficulty.

I just think you might be overthinking it and you need to remember that the interviewers do know what makes a good dental student, so if you get in then that's fantastic but if you don't get in, it's not the interviewers fault, it's just not your time.
Original post by Rachel Eleanor
I just think you might be overthinking it and you need to remember that the interviewers do know what makes a good dental student, so if you get in then that's fantastic but if you don't get in, it's not the interviewers fault, it's just not your time.

Maybe i am.
In conclusion, there is an additional entry requirement for Sheffield dental school, which is "the candidate must be lucky". :smile:
Reply 231

I couldn't agree more, I also had a bad experience with panel 5 and it's such a shame as I felt I couldn't offer my full potential
Original post by sra5
I couldn't agree more, I also had a bad experience with panel 5 and it's such a shame as I felt I couldn't offer my full potential

I agree, it is unfair. The questions should definitely be standardised and then they can switch it up and find out more about us by asking questions regarding our personal statement which will all be different to the next person. But the questions that are not in the context of our PS should all be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i was asked the correlation between state of deprivation and number of dental caries, and the guy rejected everything i stated

Wow, that seems pretty harsh. My questions (Thursday, 12.45 Panel 2) were along the lines of:
Have you been to Sheffield before, what do you know about the city?
Why dentistry, and why now (age 22, following 5 years dental nursing)
What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
Can you give an example where you've had to utilise your communication skills?

I had so many good prepared answers that I just kept talking and found ways to slip in my key points by steering the conversation in the direction I wanted it.

The lady on the panel was really stern looking but I kept seeing the corners of her mouth smile slightly (but like she was fighting it) when she wrote stuff down so I think it went well?!
Original post by sunshine12321
I agree, it is unfair. The questions should definitely be standardised and then they can switch it up and find out more about us by asking questions regarding our personal statement which will all be different to the next person. But the questions that are not in the context of our PS should all be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, there seems so much variation between questions, mine were all so straight forward that I had to engineer my answers to change to topics that I wanted to talk about haha!
Definitely no standardisation whatsoever.
Think mine went pretty well though so fingers crossed ....
Original post by Katieem92
Wow, that seems pretty harsh. My questions (Thursday, 12.45 Panel 2) were along the lines of:
Have you been to Sheffield before, what do you know about the city?
Why dentistry, and why now (age 22, following 5 years dental nursing)
What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
Can you give an example where you've had to utilise your communication skills?

I had so many good prepared answers that I just kept talking and found ways to slip in my key points by steering the conversation in the direction I wanted it.

The lady on the panel was really stern looking but I kept seeing the corners of her mouth smile slightly (but like she was fighting it) when she wrote stuff down so I think it went well?!

Seems like you are very likely to be given an offer considering how succesfully ur interview was, well done.

I was asked why dentistry (by the guy), then why sheffied (by a lady) (i messed this question up) , then the student asked me about my manual dexterity. Then back to the first guy, he showed me the graph and threw the correlation question at me.
If dental school was easy to get into then everyone would get in. Interviews are meant to be hard. Don't listen to what other people said, their interview was probably just as difficult, they're just selecting the good bits to talk about because they don't want to talk about the hard bits.
anyone know wen we will hear from Sheffield?
Reply 238
I believe they said the end of this month:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield offer!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest